Three across in a Camry (was RE: successful 3 across thread)

Late Starter

We are expecting twins in June and will have a 3 year old at that time. My mother-in-law is willing to give us her '92 Toyota Camry. What carseats would you recommend for three across? Am I dreaming? Infant seats or convertables?
Cheers,
Sarah

ADS

Holly

I have a 2007 toyota camry and I'm having to put 3 seats across now (3rd baby due in February).
I have a 2 year old, and 3 year old, so they are in convertibles.
I have to have at least 1 sunshine kids Radian to be able to do 3 across in my car.
I already had a Radian before getting pregnant, but if I didn't, I probably would have had to get one, I don't think I could have fit 3 across without it. It's already a tight fit as it is, but it does fit.

The seats I have are: Radian 65 for my 3 year old, Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe (basically like a Britax Marathon) for my 2 year old, and a Keyfit 22 for my new baby.

I had a tech help me install them to check if they fit together, and we found out that once my baby is outgrowing the infant seat, keeping the 2 convertibles I already have, I can either get another Radian, or a Britax Marathon. Some others might work too, but thats just what we had available to work with when trying to figure it out.

What seat is your 3 year old in right now?

Here are the pics of the different ways I can have the seats in the car. The first pic is how we have it right now, and will have it for just a little bit after the baby comes, then we will switch it to the other way.

3across3.jpg

3across1.jpg

Holly

Oh, and I also know that I could fit a 2nd keyfit 22 on the other side of the Radian too. We had the Radian in the middle with the keyfit on one side, then without moving the radian, we switched the keyfit to the other side, and there was room to install it there too.
So if nothing else, I know you could at least fit 1 radian with 2 keyfits.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The original poster's '92 Camry is an earlier and smaller version of the Camry compared to the '07 model year Camry, though, so it's not a guarantee that the KeyFit/Radian combination is workable. :eek: I'm guessing the OP also had a look through the 3 across thread from which this thread apparently was separated by moderators for better visibility to get seat suggestions. I know we have some members here with '90s model year Camrys (Camries?) who can hopefully chime in to offer suggestions. :) Another possibility would be to head to a Babies 'R Us store and experiment with display model seats in the car if possible to find a combination that works.

MomToEliEm

My sister has a 1997 Camry and when her new baby arrived, she tried really hard to get an infant seat to fit with two Britax Marathons. No matter what she did, she could not get them to fit so she bought two radians to fit with the Graco Snugride. It was a tight fit, but it seemed the only way she could fit all of them together. When she was trying out seats, she found a store that had the radian in stock and a few other seats and she just played with all the different seats until she figured out what would work.

hockeywoman

I would suggest the the Radian or Graco Cargo for the 3 YO. I would be worried about trying to get a rearfacing Radian in that vehicle - even in the center. What seats do you have now? I know the Radians puzzle really well with our marathons to do 3 across.

Late Starter

Thank you all for your responses! Here are a couple of answers and a few more questions:

Our daughter is currently in a Britax Roundabout FF, she is still under 30lbs. We were thinking two convertables for the infants. Our 1st child was born at 9lbs, so I wasn't imagining that size would be a big factor. However, I just read a thread about how small twins can be and a couple of twin moms/dads chimed in with the joy of the infant seat.

Does anyone have experience working with the Roundabout and two rear-facing seats? Is it better to scrap our existing equipment and get three new seats? Has anyone felt more joy/frustration working with convertables versus infant seats? I would like to avoid the cost of 4 new seats, but cheeper than a new car.
Cheers, Sarah

emandbri

We had a 91 camry and I don't know if a radian and two infant seats would work, you honestly might have to go with 3 radians.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC