Help me compare the True Fit and the EFTA

Karen

Which would you choose? It is for a 4 week old small baby. I don't know what he weighs or how long he is, but he was born small and has small genetics.
Oh geez I totally forgot! ETA In a 2000ish Passat.

ADS

featherhead

Well, I know they have pretty much the same top harness height. I know the True Fit bottom slots are nice and low, especially with the infant padding. I don't know how the EFTA compares there. The True Fit harness slots are kind of wide, so the harness sometimes looks like it's going to slide off the shoulders of skinny babies (not sure if that's a big problem or not). Again, I'm not sure how the EFTA compares there. I guess one question would be, are the vehicle seats contoured? If they are contoured, the True Fit would work best (for adjusting the harness). If they are quite flat, the EFTA would work best.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They both have 35 pound rear facing limits, tall shells, 17.5" top slots, fit newborns well, easy harnesses to adjust. Both adjusters can be a PITB rear facing because of their location. The EFTA forwad faces to 50 pounds, the TF to 65. The TF doesn't have a base, the EFTA sits up high on one. Both offer a lot of leg support. The TF has a removable headrest so it's a tiny seat for tiny babies. The EFTA is $140-$180, the TF is $190.

Wendy

Karen

Hum, I see... I still have no decision! I think I will take her with her car to BRU and put them both in and see which we like best!

What kind of LATCH does the true fit have?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The True Fit and the EFTA Premium have the same alligator LATCH connectors that Britax seats have. The other three trims of the EFTA have the more plain connectors.

Wendy

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would probably base the decision mainly on the vehicle seats and how harness adjustment is. Both of them are roomy and will last about the same length of time by height. The EFTA has about 7" bottom harness height, so will easily fit most newborns, the True Fit tends to fit well with the infant padding from pictures I've seen. Unless baby is on the high end of the weight charts, baby is unlikely to ungrow the EFTA by height before weight, and both will last most kids until they're old enough & big enough for a booster.

The EFTA tends to work better in vehicles with a fairly flat back seat or not much in the way of side contouring. (Like if you sat in the seating position, if the seatback wraps around your sides, it's very contoured. The Acura MDX has very contoured outboard seats and the EFTA doesn't work rf'ing in it because of this - at least not if you want to have access to the knobs. ;)

The True Fit works great in vehicles with these contoured seats because it tends to make the harness adjuster much easier to access. The adjuster can still be accessed in vehicles with flat back seats, but in general the seat needs to be more reclined (not an issue with a newborn anyways,) and it could be a pain to routinely tighten and loosen each time.

What I love about the True Fit is the deep side wings. I also love that the headrest can be removed for babies who need that 45* angle and are under 22lbs and under the red line on the seat. I like that it has the alligator clip style LATCH connectors, and that you don't have to re-thread the harness to adjust the height.

The EFTA I find easier to adjust overall (provided the knobs don't hit the seatback,) and I love having the harness always even with the shoulders.

So I'd say go play with both of them, and try installing them in the vehicle it'll be going in, and maybe you'll develop your own preference. :thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hum, I see... I still have no decision! I think I will take her with her car to BRU and put them both in and see which we like best!

What kind of LATCH does the true fit have?

I apparently got occupied with my kids and didn't hit submit on my previous post before you or Wendy posted. Apologies for the seemingly out of place reply.

Be sure to update when you get back. :)

Kat_Momof3

for a small baby, I really like the way the Truefit cradles them when the headrest is off... so the seat doesn't totally dwarf baby.

On the other hand, I love the knobs on the EFTA and the harness height adjuster is SOOO easy... oh, it's such a tough call. I can't tell you what I'd do for my own child.

I say, try them out... see which she prefers... the red tabs for adjusting vs. the two yellow knobs you pull and raise or lower.... the knobs or the pull adjuster.

And, when in doubt, see if you can try them before buying in the car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC