Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice > Child Safety Seat Installation, Compatibility and Technical Questions

Notices

Child Safety Seat Installation, Compatibility and Technical Questions Discuss Proper Use of Infant, Convertible, Combination and Booster Seats, Automobile Compatibility, Three Across and Install Problems.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Unregistered

True Fit Use

Just got a True Fit for 14 mo. old, 19 lb. dd so we can rf 'til 35 lb. I have a few questions I'm hoping other TF users might help me with:

1. Is it okay to use the height insert even though her head is above the top of it. She LOVES it, but she is a little tall for it.

2. Any Subaru Outback drivers know if it is okay to "borrow" the LATCH hooks from the passenger seats. I would like to do a LATCH install in the middle but our Outback does not come equipped with LATCHes in the center seat (There would be no other carseats in the car, thus the LATCHes would not otherwise be occupied). I know that this is allowed in some vehicles and not others (I'm assuming because of how close or far apart they are), but I cannot seem to find anything about this in my owner's manual. I will keep digging for that answer, but I thought someone may know. We were able to get a tight seatbelt fit with our infant seat, but it is just too loose with this seat, and I REALLY want to keep her in the middle. I am not concerned with liability issues ...I know if the Subaru manual says not to that they could not be held responsible for anything going wrong; I am just interested in doing what is safest no matter what and center just seems safest always if I can get it tight enough. But I'm no expert, so please chime in and let me know.

3. Does anyone know if I can keep her rf in True Fit if I have to use the #3 shoulder height? Manual says "no", but in another post, someone talked to a tech person at True Fit who said you COULD RF in position #3. They also said it could be installed at 35-45 degree angle...did not necessarily have to be 45 degrees even though manual said so (and apparently the manual will be re-written to reflect that).

4. To determine correct harness height position, should I have her sitting straight up or in a more relaxed position that she might be in if she were asleep for instance?

Thanks in advance for help!

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
snowbird25ca
Moderator - CPST Instructor

snowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire
Re: True Fit Use

Hi, here's the link to your other thread, there are some replies on it as well.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=62136
Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2009 Astra depending on the day.

snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
ketchupqueen
CPST and ketchup snob

ketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

I would definitely call and clarify on the slot thing before using them.

Food allergies or restrictions? There's a support group for that.
ketchupqueen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
northernmommy

northernmommy is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authornorthernmommy is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just got a True Fit for 14 mo. old, 19 lb. dd so we can rf 'til 35 lb. I have a few questions I'm hoping other TF users might help me with:

1. Is it okay to use the height insert even though her head is above the top of it. She LOVES it, but she is a little tall for it.

As long as she is under 22lbs, you can continue to use the infant insert

2. Any Subaru Outback drivers know if it is okay to "borrow" the LATCH hooks from the passenger seats. I would like to do a LATCH install in the middle but our Outback does not come equipped with LATCHes in the center seat (There would be no other carseats in the car, thus the LATCHes would not otherwise be occupied). I know that this is allowed in some vehicles and not others (I'm assuming because of how close or far apart they are), but I cannot seem to find anything about this in my owner's manual. I will keep digging for that answer, but I thought someone may know. We were able to get a tight seatbelt fit with our infant seat, but it is just too loose with this seat, and I REALLY want to keep her in the middle. I am not concerned with liability issues ...I know if the Subaru manual says not to that they could not be held responsible for anything going wrong; I am just interested in doing what is safest no matter what and center just seems safest always if I can get it tight enough. But I'm no expert, so please chime in and let me know.
You cannot borrow the LATCH anchors in this vehicle, sorry
3. Does anyone know if I can keep her rf in True Fit if I have to use the #3 shoulder height? Manual says "no", but in another post, someone talked to a tech person at True Fit who said you COULD RF in position #3. They also said it could be installed at 35-45 degree angle...did not necessarily have to be 45 degrees even though manual said so (and apparently the manual will be re-written to reflect that). Since the harness needs to be at or BELOW her shoulders, I'd be very surprised if she needed position 3 yet. My 18mo DS can barely use #2. That said, all torsos are different! Anyhow, the 3rd position CAN be used for RF, so don't worry about it

4. To determine correct harness height position, should I have her sitting straight up or in a more relaxed position that she might be in if she were asleep for instance? Personally, I do it with them relaxed in the seat, as you don't want to mistakenly set the harness too high, and have it be above their shoulders once they fall asleep or slouch

Thanks in advance for help!
Hope that helps!
northernmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
snowbird25ca

snowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
I would definitely call and clarify on the slot thing before using them.
Learning curve has provided clarification on their website, and the current online manual reflects position 3 being allowed for rf'ing. This is a case where there has been ample amounts of clarification provided to the point that I wouldn't bother calling them.

From what I have seen, the infant padding makes a huge difference in which slot is needed. It absolutely could make a child almost at the 3rd slots, but once it's removed drop the child enough that they're just barely above the 2nd ones. So there's still lots of growing room in the seat at present given that you're still using the padding and you'll gain a bunch of room when it's taken out.
Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2009 Astra depending on the day.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
northernmommy

northernmommy is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authornorthernmommy is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
From what I have seen, the infant padding makes a huge difference in which slot is needed. It absolutely could make a child almost at the 3rd slots, but once it's removed drop the child enough that they're just barely above the 2nd ones. So there's still lots of growing room in the seat at present given that you're still using the padding and you'll gain a bunch of room when it's taken out.
Good point Trudy, I didn't think of that
Old 10-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
snowbird25ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmommy View Post
Good point Trudy, I didn't think of that
Hehe, I didn't believe the padding even could make that much difference until I saw it a few times.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
Unregistered

Thanks for all of your help with my questions. I feel much better.....but I must say WAyyyyy bummed about the not being able to use the anchors. It makes me want to go buy a different car...*sigh*. Anybody need to buy a 2001 Subaru Outback...hehe.

Just out of curiosity...why IS it okay to "borrow" passenger side anchors in some vehicles but not others? Really honestly just curious...I promise I won't use them
Old 10-29-2008, 12:42 AM   #9
northernmommy

I believe it has to do with how the bar that the LATCH anchors are attached to is set up...I'll see if I can remember the graphic I saw once....

They can be like this:
(_______) (________)

Or like this:
(_______)_____(________)

Ie, two shorter bars vs one long bar.

Hopefully someone will correct me if this is wrong!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #10
Jeanum
Moderator - CPS Technician Emeritus

Jeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Quote:

Just out of curiosity...why IS it okay to "borrow" passenger side anchors in some vehicles but not others? Really honestly just curious...I promise I won't use them
The vehicle manufacturers that allow borrowing of outboard anchors to do a center installation have apparently tested it out with child restraints that also allow borrowing and determined it's not detrimental in a crash. The manufacturers that do not allow it have either not tested it out, or have tested it and determined it affected crash performance adversely. Borrowing has to be allowed by both the vehicle manufacturer and the child restraint manufacturer.

DD1 Age 12, 64" 5 steps
DD2 Age 8, 54.5" Britax Parkway SGL

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar
Jeanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #11
NannyMom
CPS Technician

NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanum View Post
The vehicle manufacturers that allow borrowing of outboard anchors to do a center installation have apparently tested it out with child restraints that also allow borrowing and determined it's not detrimental in a crash. The manufacturers that do not allow it have either not tested it out, or have tested it and determined it affected crash performance adversely. Borrowing has to be allowed by both the vehicle manufacturer and the child restraint manufacturer.
Offhand, do we know of any child restraints that do not allow borrowing?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #12
Jeanum
Moderator - CPS Technician Emeritus

Jeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Evenflo and the Radian immediately pop into mind. There's a list in the LATCH manual and Crunchierthanthou posted it the other day if you do a quick search. ETA: It's in this thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=61502

DD1 Age 12, 64" 5 steps
DD2 Age 8, 54.5" Britax Parkway SGL

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar
Jeanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #13
Unregistered

Thank you everyone. Since a newer car with middle latch anchors is not in the works for us right now, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a tighter seatbelt install with our True Fit in our 2001 Subaru Outback. Again, I don't know why, but we did okay with our infant seat, but maybe there are some tricks we could try with this one??
Old 10-30-2008, 11:46 PM   #14
April
CPS Technician

April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

Going off on a bit of a bunny trail here....

When we are taling about "infant insert/height insert" in this thread and the OP's original thread, are we talking about ALL of the removable padding, or just the little side pieces. I read my manual over and over and I totally interprested "infant padding" to be the little side pieces. Riley is 35 lbs and I still have that bigger set of padding in. Help please!
DS1-10 years: seatbelt DD2-7.5 years: lightrider
DS2-6.5 years: parkway DD3-2.5 years: RF RNXT
April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #15
snowbird25ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmomofriley View Post
Going off on a bit of a bunny trail here....

When we are taling about "infant insert/height insert" in this thread and the OP's original thread, are we talking about ALL of the removable padding, or just the little side pieces. I read my manual over and over and I totally interprested "infant padding" to be the little side pieces. Riley is 35 lbs and I still have that bigger set of padding in. Help please!
The infant insert is the big part that comes out. The head support can still be left on, but the big pad that sits underneath and goes behind the back as well has to come out at 22lbs.

You can see the bottom edge of the padding in this picture:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...g?t=1225428610

This is the seat without the padding:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...t/DSC01357.jpg

Old 10-31-2008, 12:07 AM   #16
April
CPS Technician

April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
The infant insert is the big part that comes out. The head support can still be left on, but the big pad that sits underneath and goes behind the back as well has to come out at 22lbs.

You can see the bottom edge of the padding in this picture:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...g?t=1225428610

This is the seat without the padding:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...t/DSC01357.jpg
Thanks Trudy. So mine's okay right? It's like this:

DS1-10 years: seatbelt DD2-7.5 years: lightrider
DS2-6.5 years: parkway DD3-2.5 years: RF RNXT
April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:32 AM   #17
snowbird25ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmomofriley View Post
Thanks Trudy. So mine's okay right? It's like this:
Yep, you've pulled out the big padding, so looks fine to me.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:09 AM   #18
Unregistered

Thanks for the clarification on the padding. I still have not been able to find in the manual where it says you have to take the bigger height insert out at 22 lbs, but I'll take you experts' word on that. DD has a few more pounds to go, but we'll take it out when she gets there. Actually, now that I think of it, I think we may have to take it out now unless we want to go ahead and put the headrest back on because with that padding in place, I think dd MAY be up to that red line.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:03 PM   #19
4BabyUnit
Carseat Crazy

4BabyUnit has disabled reputation

I JUST registered, so I cannot post the three pics I just took yet, but I'm hoping you all might tell me if you THINK, based on my description, that I've done okay here: I finally got my TF install rf in the center position of my 2001Subaru Outback using the seatbelt. There doesn't seem to be an in between...it's either too loose or wayyy too tight..meaning I had to force the red lock offs over the yellow bars that hold the seat belt in place under the car seat's padding. I mean...I really had to force them...I was afraid they would break. I can just barely squeeze my hand between the car seat and the seat back to get my fingers on the lever that loosens the straps. The red line that serves a level is parallel to my car's bottom seat but not the ground. Thoughts on any of these things or any solutions to these problems.
4BabyUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:14 PM   #20
featherhead
CPS Technician

featherhead is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!featherhead is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!featherhead is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!featherhead is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!featherhead is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!featherhead is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification on the padding. I still have not been able to find in the manual where it says you have to take the bigger height insert out at 22 lbs, but I'll take you experts' word on that. DD has a few more pounds to go, but we'll take it out when she gets there. Actually, now that I think of it, I think we may have to take it out now unless we want to go ahead and put the headrest back on because with that padding in place, I think dd MAY be up to that red line.
I don't have a manual handy, but I noticed on my niece's True Fit that there is a warning label on the insert that says do not use after 22 lbs (10kg).

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
S ~ Monterey, K ~ FrontierXT, M ~ Radian XTSL
and S ~ October 16 2013 ~ Keyfit

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!