Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum to Ask Questions. Find help on how to pick the best infant, toddler or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles!

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
zeo2ski
CPS Fanatic

zeo2ski is almost a CPS know-it-allzeo2ski is almost a CPS know-it-allzeo2ski is almost a CPS know-it-all
Multimac--What do you think?

http://www.multimac.co.uk/multimac.html

No SIP. There are head pillows for an option but they don't look to be too helpful and you can't use them at the same time as using the headrests, although maybe the head rests in the car would do the trick.

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
Maedze
CPS Advocate

Maedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Re: Multimac--What do you think?

Whoa, that is really interesting. They've completely forgotten about head support though. The rearfacing seat shows the baby's head sticking out the top, and the forward facing kids only have support up to their necks.
Maedze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
crunchierthanthou
Moderator - CPS Technician

crunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

those have come up a few times here. Are they actually available for sale in the UK now?

I guess the bottom line is that all seats have to pass the same testing. If it makes it to market, then it's likely not categorically unsafe. I can see it being a beast to install and it has all the same downfalls of an integrated seat- namely non-adjustable harness height, little physical SIP, requiring a second seat for travel or any other vehicle, and possibly being stranded without seats in an emergency situation.

I'm glad to see they've added headrests, even if it's just an optional accessory. And one thing to remember about SIP is that it's not only about physical barriers. 5 point harnesses provide a good level of protection on their own- as does sitting next to another passenger according to one study.

it definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but I can see it filling a niche and would consider it if it were my only choice (provided it fits your vehicle, your children and your budget, yada yada yada...).
crunchierthanthou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
christineka
CPS Technician

christineka has disabled reputation

There are headrests. Just for some reason they decided they weren't photogenic and removed them for the pictures.

I think it is fairly common for car seat companies to test seats with the heads sticking out of the rfing seat. I've seen it done in other places too.

If you look at "How the Multimac works" you can see that the harnesses are adjustable. It looks like there is a hook on the harness and you hook it into the proper place for the child.

I'm really excited about this thing. My kids are small and won't be the size of 12 year olds till about age 14 or even later, so I could harness my kids extra long. It has been discussed on another thread that the 5 point harness actually provides sip, so that is probably why it tests well. They aren't just buckling the 12 year old dummies into backless boosters with a seat belt.

Someone on another board emailed about the harness limits. (They weren't on the website at that time. I believe she even got torso measurements as well.) They plan to make a Swedish rfing attachment seat once they get the multimac on its way with the UK standard rfing seat. I think it would be awesome to get one just for the big rfing seat when they get to that.
christineka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Maedze
CPS Advocate

Maedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org Leader

It said 13 kils for rearfacing and 36 kilos for forward facing. Pretty weak rearfacing but a nice ff weight. Also the harness height is adjustable.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
mommytojoshmadty
Carseat Crazy

mommytojoshmadty is a novice Car-Seat.Org journalist

i live in the uk and never seen or heard about this before.
i have just filled in my details and they will contact me when available - will keep you posted if interested?
mommytojoshmadty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #7
crunchierthanthou

crunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
Also the harness height is adjustable.
oh yeah. I forgot about the weird peg system.
crunchierthanthou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
Jenifer
CPS Technician

Jenifer has disabled reputation

Think about it though. If you were a family with 3 or 4 kids close in age and you could put all 4 in the back of your RAV 4 or HHR?? In Europe I don't think you see everyone running around Expeditions, mini vans or other SUVs. With the cost of gas these days, I can see it filling a niche if it passes crash tests and is affordable enough.
Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Maedze
CPS Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer View Post
Think about it though. If you were a family with 3 or 4 kids close in age and you could put all 4 in the back of your RAV 4 or HHR?? In Europe I don't think you see everyone running around Expeditions, mini vans or other SUVs. With the cost of gas these days, I can see it filling a niche if it passes crash tests and is affordable enough.
Me too. I think it's one step closer to expecting car manufacturers to make the cars rideable for everyone, not just grown up men.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
UlrikeDG
Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus

UlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer View Post
I'd love to be able to put 4 kids (plus me!) in Hubby's car when the minivan goes in for an oil change or whatever. Heck, we could even do weekend trips in a sedan with 2 suitcases in the trunk if we dropped off the dogs at the kennel before loading the kids.

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
Just click the symbol in the lower left-hand corner
of the post. Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe,
SPAM-free zone!
UlrikeDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #11
strollerfreak
CPS Technician

strollerfreak is almost a CPS know-it-allstrollerfreak is almost a CPS know-it-allstrollerfreak is almost a CPS know-it-allstrollerfreak is almost a CPS know-it-allstrollerfreak is almost a CPS know-it-all

If that thing ever comes to fruition I'm so importing one...don't care if it's illegal or not...
Old 09-30-2008, 08:39 AM   #12
Kabes
Carseat Crazy

Kabes is a novice Car-Seat.Org journalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollerfreak View Post
If that thing ever comes to fruition I'm so importing one...don't care if it's illegal or not...
Let's stay in touch! I want one too!!

DD 7 FF in Regent, DD 5 FF in Regent
DS 3 FF in Radian, DS 1 RF in Radian
Kabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #13
skipspin

skipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Yep, I would love a 3 seater for the 2-seat back seat of our wrangler. We would probably just use it off-road or going to trails, but as of March we won't all fit. :-( I wouldn't care so much if it's legal. After all, in my state it's legal to let DD ride in a lapbelt in the front seat!

9 yr old in a pink zebra NBB and 5-stepping
6 yr DS1 old in a Harmony
4 yr old DS2 in a Nautilus and Radian
18 mo DS3 rfing in a MyRide65
skipspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #14
zeo2ski
CPS Fanatic

zeo2ski is almost a CPS know-it-allzeo2ski is almost a CPS know-it-allzeo2ski is almost a CPS know-it-all

ugh a lap belt in the front seat makes me sad.

Yeah one lady--I think cristineka-- was saying it's already in europe or will be soon, and should be in the states by next year. Maybe she'll chime in and say the specifics or where she heard that. I think she talked to the company.

There are a few things I don't like about it, but I think it's going to bring about a whole new way of building CRs! Could be awesome.

One major problem--what happens when you have 4 kids across a three seater, and the oldest outgrows the seat?? I guess it really is just delaying getting a new vehicle. But then too when you get that new vehicle you could continue using it I guess, like in the third row.I like how they have different widths of it to fit more cars, you'd just have to be sure it fits in the new car when it's time!

Anyone see how long it lasts before expiry?
zeo2ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #15
musicmaj
Carseat Crazy

musicmaj is a Car-Seat.org recognized contributor

I can just see this thing in the back of my corolla! Ha, Ha! It is just what I need!
musicmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #16
aja
Carseat Crazy

aja is a novice Car-Seat.Org journalist

wow, we are about to have our 3rd and 4th kids in 3 1/2 years. this would be great for our subaru. we could probably get 8 years out of it. i wonder what the prices will be like.
Fox 2/09
aja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #17
zeo2ski
CPS Fanatic

Well the site is european, so I believe the symbol is for Euros, but not sure. Anyway it's 1000 euros-or-whatever-it-is for the seat, plus 200 for each infant seat (you can use all 4!) and it's not clear whether the head rests and pillows are included or you buy them separate. Pricey, but you have to compare it to the price of 4 separate seats too. Plus the cost of a new car in some cases, lol.
zeo2ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #18
UlrikeDG
Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus

UlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeo2ski View Post
Well the site is european, so I believe the symbol is for Euros, but not sure. Anyway it's 1000 euros-or-whatever-it-is for the seat, plus 200 for each infant seat (you can use all 4!)...
I don't see the pricing information on the link above? Anyway, it's a British site, so it's more likely that the pricing is in British Pounds (). The Euro sign looks a little different ().

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
Just click the symbol in the lower left-hand corner
of the post. Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe,
SPAM-free zone!
UlrikeDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #19
christineka
CPS Technician

christineka has disabled reputation

Everyone who signed up on the "contact us" page got an email a few months ago. The email said the multimac would be out in the UK in September. According to the website the date was the 18th. They said they planned it to be in the US by December. According to this news article http://www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=222478
It is supposed to cost 1,000 pounds. According to the web calculator, that works out to be $1800 US.
christineka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #20
strollerfreak
CPS Technician

strollerfreak is almost a CPS know-it-allstrollerfreak is almost a CPS know-it-allstrollerfreak is almost a CPS know-it-allstrollerfreak is almost a CPS know-it-allstrollerfreak is almost a CPS know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineka View Post
Everyone who signed up on the "contact us" page got an email a few months ago. The email said the multimac would be out in the UK in September. According to the website the date was the 18th. They said they planned it to be in the US by December. According to this news article http://www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=222478
It is supposed to cost 1,000 pounds. According to the web calculator, that works out to be $1800 US.
Except that article was written in 2006...who knows what it's actually going to cost now, 2 years and probably several iterations of prototypes later...

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!