Best 5 point booster 4 year old 45 lbs 45" in 99 Malibu

ken2400

Looking for a good car seat for my 4 year, 45 lbs 45" daughter.
Want a 5 point up to 80 lbs or so.

We now have an Evenflo Express

Thanks

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The only harnessed seats that go to 80 pounds are the Britax Regent and the Sunshine Kids Radian80 (however, it is very very unlikely that your child will make it to 80 pounds in the Radian80 before outgrowing it by height). The Recaro Como and Signo harness to 70 pounds. The Graco Nautilus and Sunshine Kids Radian65 harness to 65 pounds, as do the big Britax convertibles, although the Britax convertibles are likely to be outgrown by height before 65 pounds.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
"Good" depends on what you're looking for. :) As the PP pointed out, weight is not the only indicator for how long a carseat can be used - they are often outgrown by height before reaching the weight limit.

For your daughter's age and size, you're probably looking for a "high-weight harness" carseat, probably one that is forward-facing only, and possibly one that converts to a booster seat after the harness is outgrown. There are quite a few options, and they each have their own perks and quirks. If you can give us a bit more info about your needs, we can help you figure out which one should work best for you. :thumbsup:

What kind of car do you drive? Will you be moving the carseat between vehicles often (more than once a week)? What do you like/hate about your current carseat? Does your daughter travel by plane? Do you want something that will last her for a couple of years and then be handed down to younger sibling, or something she can use until it expires?

ken2400

99 Chev Malibu
Car seat would not be move that often. Maybe once or twice a year.
The car seat we have now, Evenflo Express is OK but she is too big is over 40 lbs for the 5pt belt.
No plane travel.
No other kids so until the seat expires.

Thanks Defrost for the questions.

"Good" depends on what you're looking for. :) As the PP pointed out, weight is not the only indicator for how long a carseat can be used - they are often outgrown by height before reaching the weight limit.

For your daughter's age and size, you're probably looking for a "high-weight harness" carseat, probably one that is forward-facing only, and possibly one that converts to a booster seat after the harness is outgrown. There are quite a few options, and they each have their own perks and quirks. If you can give us a bit more info about your needs, we can help you figure out which one should work best for you. :thumbsup:

What kind of car do you drive? Will you be moving the carseat between vehicles often (more than once a week)? What do you like/hate about your current carseat? Does your daughter travel by plane? Do you want something that will last her for a couple of years and then be handed down to younger sibling, or something she can use until it expires?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
The Britax Frontier also harnesses to 80 pounds.

However, even the tallest seat on the consumer market - the Regent is usually outgrown before 80 pounds unless a child is stocky.

My 7.5 year old is dead even with the top slots of the Husky (and older version of the Regent), and she is only 59 pounds.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
And just to clarify..you are currently using the express in BOOSTER mode, not harness, right? bewcause the harness in that seat inly goes up to 40 lbs. It would make a decent "backup" seat for a secondary vehicle, though, after you purchase a better primary seat that will harness longer.
Please answer the questions put to you , especially by defrost, along with your budsget, and we can recommend seats for you!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
99 Chev Malibu
The car seat we have now, Evenflo Express is OK but she is too big is over 40 lbs for the 5pt belt.
No plane travel.

I missed approving this earlier. Just wanted to make sure those answering your questions saw it. :thumbsup:

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Take a look at the Graco Nautilus. I know it has a harness limit of 65 pounds, but the top slots are taller than the Britax Frontier...making them the 2nd highest top slots on the market I believe. I have an 05 Chev Malibu Maxx and the Nautilus fits wonderfully in my car with the seatbelt and top tether. I'm not sure how much the backseat changed in the 6 yrs between our models though.

Susan

pregodego2

I have been going thorugh a similiar situation. I bought the frontier and now am trying to sell it, i regret the purchase and have never even used it. I would go with the Nautilus, it won't harness as long, but here's what i got out of comparing them both.

nautilus:
harness 65 pounds
back and backless booster option for longer use
up to 100 pounds
cheaper price tag
9 year lifespan

frontier:
harness 80 pounds
only a back booster
up to 100 pounds
higher price tag
9 year lifespan

When comparing those 2, I found those things above to be the major differences for us, because even if the Frontier will harness longer, you cannot gaunrantee your child to stay within the height limits for the harness up to 80 pounds. They may just outgrow the height by 65 pounds. I like the option of being able to go backless with the Nautilus if my son outgrows the height before reaching 100 pounds. The option of backless gaunrantees me that as long as we don't exceed the 9 year lifespan, we WILL be able to use the Nautilus until 100 pounds, however if my son outgrows the height of the frontier, it's done until another child of mine can use it.

abacus2

I have been going thorugh a similiar situation. I bought the frontier and now am trying to sell it, i regret the purchase and have never even used it. I would go with the Nautilus, it won't harness as long, but here's what i got out of comparing them both.

nautilus:
harness 65 pounds
back and backless booster option for longer use
up to 100 pounds
cheaper price tag
9 year lifespan

frontier:
harness 80 pounds
only a back booster
up to 100 pounds
higher price tag
9 year lifespan

When comparing those 2, I found those things above to be the major differences for us, because even if the Frontier will harness longer, you cannot gaunrantee your child to stay within the height limits for the harness up to 80 pounds. They may just outgrow the height by 65 pounds. I like the option of being able to go backless with the Nautilus if my son outgrows the height before reaching 100 pounds. The option of backless gaunrantees me that as long as we don't exceed the 9 year lifespan, we WILL be able to use the Nautilus until 100 pounds, however if my son outgrows the height of the frontier, it's done until another child of mine can use it.

Good notes about several important differences between the Frontier and the Nautilus. However, unless you have a very stocky child, the Nautilus will actually harness slightly longer than the Frontier as it's top harness slot is slightly higher and the vast majority of children will outgrow either seat by height. Also, while the Frontier does only become a high backed booster, it is by far the tallest high backed booster on the market and shouldn't be outgrow before the seatbelt would fit properly. Also to clarify, the Frontier has a 9 year life span for the entire seat, but the Nautilus can be used for 6 years as a harnessed seat or high back booster, only the backless booster portion can be used for 9 years.

ETA: I have not played with a Frontier, but I can testify that the Nautilus (we've had one since Jan '08) is a fabulous seat.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
99 Chev Malibu
No plane travel.

Thanks for answering! As others have posted, I'd suggest you look into the Graco Nautilus. It's known for being easy to install in most vehicles, it has tall top-harness slots so your daughter can stay harnessed longer, and it converts to a decent booster once the harness is outgrown. The cost seems high compared to some seats, but it's actually very reasonably priced compared to most high-weight-harness seats.

Also, just in case you didn't realize - it's very important that your daughter use her current carseat in booster mode until you get a new carseat.

shuttermagic

My dd is similar size. 5(just turned in July) and 44 lbs and 45 1/4" tall. I just moved her to belt position on her Cosco Alpha Omega since she has stayed over the 40 lbs. I went a while too long past but when she was fluctuating between 40 and 42 for so long I decided to keep her in the harness. I had planned to buy a Regent or Radian HOWEVER like the other said I measured her sitting against a wall and she is 16" at her shoulders so she is very likely to outgrow the height before 80 lbs leaving you needing another seat(many of those are not high back boosters after) later. I had bought the Alpha Omega at 6 months because she outgrew the infant seat by height as well. :eek: She of course was rear facing until almost 2, of course. Its been a good seat and has got us through in harness mode until now she is over 40 lbs.

For this reason I have put her in the seat belt position booster mode though I am highly considering a Graco Nautilus because I just feel safer with 5pt harness. :D I'm, going to see if I can put up the money for it and maybe if I can get it within a couple months I might switch her back to harness. I guess I'm glad she could stay in her harness that long with her height but for whatever reason she was still at the perfect seat to shoulder height to keep in the harness even with the manual saying 40". The slot was at or below her shoulders even though she is several inches taller than manual says, she is long in legs though. ;)

freak007

I used a Regent in my '02 Malibu... It fit well in all 3 positions, but was tough to install (once in was rock solid)... If you use it in the center, plan on not haveing any passengers in the rear seat...

ken2400

Done!
Graco Nautilus from Wal-Mart
I like it so far. Still need install in car.

Would like to put her in the middle with the top latch, tether, BUT don't have that on the 99 Malibu. Anyone ever put an point in to attach to?

Thanks

My dd is similar size. 5(just turned in July) and 44 lbs and 45 1/4" tall. I just moved her to belt position on her Cosco Alpha Omega since she has stayed over the 40 lbs. I went a while too long past but when she was fluctuating between 40 and 42 for so long I decided to keep her in the harness. I had planned to buy a Regent or Radian HOWEVER like the other said I measured her sitting against a wall and she is 16" at her shoulders so she is very likely to outgrow the height before 80 lbs leaving you needing another seat(many of those are not high back boosters after) later. I had bought the Alpha Omega at 6 months because she outgrew the infant seat by height as well. :eek: She of course was rear facing until almost 2, of course. Its been a good seat and has got us through in harness mode until now she is over 40 lbs.

For this reason I have put her in the seat belt position booster mode though I am highly considering a Graco Nautilus because I just feel safer with 5pt harness. :D I'm, going to see if I can put up the money for it and maybe if I can get it within a couple months I might switch her back to harness. I guess I'm glad she could stay in her harness that long with her height but for whatever reason she was still at the perfect seat to shoulder height to keep in the harness even with the manual saying 40". The slot was at or below her shoulders even though she is several inches taller than manual says, she is long in legs though. ;)

Done!
Graco Nautilus from Wal-Mart
I like it so far. Still need install in car.

Would like to put her in the middle with the top latch, tether, BUT don't have that on the 99 Malibu. Anyone ever put an point in to attach to?

Thanks

Call your local Chevy dealership and talk to the service or parts department. I have a 99 Cavalier and I had heard that Chevy would install 1 tether point for free. I called my local Chevy dealership and then ordered the part and put it in. Now I did have to pay for the part (I think it was about $11), but the labor was free of charge. They even ran my car through the carwash and vacuumed the front floorboards for me :). The parts guy had to call GM to clarify what I was talking about, but when he called me back it was no problem.

ken2400

Just stopped in and ordered the part. $23 or so for the 99 Malibu.
I will work on the free install after it comes in.

For now it sits in the middle of the back seat. with the lap belt.

Call your local Chevy dealership and talk to the service or parts department. I have a 99 Cavalier and I had heard that Chevy would install 1 tether point for free. I called my local Chevy dealership and then ordered the part and put it in. Now I did have to pay for the part (I think it was about $11), but the labor was free of charge. They even ran my car through the carwash and vacuumed the front floorboards for me :). The parts guy had to call GM to clarify what I was talking about, but when he called me back it was no problem.

shuttermagic

Just remember when you use a extended weight harness the tethers and latches are not designed to go over about 40 lbs either so you will still need to use the lap belt to secure the seat in harness mode but the tether for top I think would not hurt that extra protection. Check the list for Chevy's. I have top tethers on all 3 seats in my Dodge Neon so I've had that hooked up since she went FF. :thumbsup:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Just stopped in and ordered the part. $23 or so for the 99 Malibu.
I will work on the free install after it comes in.

For now it sits in the middle of the back seat. with the lap belt.

The dealership should not be charging you (nor the previous poster, Parkersmom) for the part or for the labor for retrofitting one anchor in your vehicle. The GM Service Bulletin pertaining to retrofitting anchors in retrofittable GM models, Service Bulletin number 99-09-40-004 dated January 2000, states one anchor should be retrofitted free of charge to the vehicle owner, with GM corporate reimbursing the dealership for the cost. I highly recommend you cite that service bulletin number and insist the dealership honor the policy for you instead of charging you, and Parkersmom should also consider requesting a refund.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Just remember when you use a extended weight harness the tethers and latches are not designed to go over about 40 lbs either so you will still need to use the lap belt to secure the seat in harness mode but the tether for top I think would not hurt that extra protection. Check the list for Chevy's. I have top tethers on all 3 seats in my Dodge Neon so I've had that hooked up since she went FF. :thumbsup:

Since he has a 99, he won't have lower anchors. He'll have to use a seatbelt with the top tether(once installed).

In the US the seat must pass testing w/ a lap belt only install. The top tether just adds protection.

Susan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC