Full Desktop Site Register
Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums

Carseat Chat>23-lb 2-year-old, mom adamant about FF
pastrygirl 08:04 AM 09-16-2008
I actually had the guts to talk to someone at Target yesterday. She was looking for a seat for her 23-pound 2-year-old (almost 2, or just turned 2). I asked if she was FF or RF, and she adamantly said that she's been FF forever, so I mentioned that at that size, she can still RF. The response was NO WAY so then I pointed out a few seats. She really wanted something that would get her to a booster quickly. Boosters are SO much easier, etc, etc. I told her that since some of the seats harness to 65 pounds, she's better off/safer using the harness that long (nope, she wanted to switch at 40).

Anyway... I showed her the Nautilus and she seemed to like that idea. Did I do the right thing? Is the Nautilus a good choice for someone so little (since RF was NOT an option). She seemed to really like the pink ComfortSport, though she also said that her other kids had a Combi seat that she loved and was hoping to find again.

joolsplus3 08:09 AM 09-16-2008
Nautilus is great for that kiddo! And the mom will appreciate that it installs easily, has a nice harness, and it actually does become a really nice booster, unlike the Cosco/Evenflo combo seats that are short and not good for SIP. The comfortsport would be outgrown in less than a year even with a tiny kid, but she can use the Nautilus as long as the law commands her (hopefully 8 in your state, or maybe WILL be by then...we can cross our fingers, lol).

keri1292 08:09 AM 09-16-2008
I think that it's the perfect choice for her. Hopefully, Mom is lazy/cheap and doesn't replace the Nautilus at 40lbs with a booster. Or convert it to a booster. (I forgot about that handy feature! lol)

Also, when people insist on FFing, I try to just stress the importance of tethering the seat.
pastrygirl 08:15 AM 09-16-2008
Originally Posted by joolsplus3:
she can use the Nautilus as long as the law commands her (hopefully 8 in your state, or maybe WILL be by then...we can cross our fingers, lol).
It is!! The law just passed here this summer.
pastrygirl 08:16 AM 09-16-2008
Originally Posted by keri1292:
Also, when people insist on FFing, I try to just stress the importance of tethering the seat.
I did mention tethering, and she said she does do it because it must be safer! She said she doesn't like LATCH so she uses the seat belt and the top tether.
BookMama 08:19 AM 09-16-2008
I think you did a great job. And who knows, with a Nautilus, maybe she will keep her harnessed past 40 lbs.
pastrygirl 08:38 AM 09-16-2008
Thanks everyone! She didn't buy a seat at that point, but was going to talk to her husband about it. My guess is that she'll go back for the ComfortSport... but maybe the practicality and lifespan of the Nautilus will win her and her husband over!
musicmaj 10:10 AM 09-16-2008
Also, it might take her little one a long time to get to 40lbs. With a two year old that size I think she might not be 40lbs until 5 years old.
keri1292 10:15 AM 09-16-2008
Originally Posted by musicmaj:
Also, it might take her little one a long time to get to 40lbs. With a two year old that size I think she might not be 40lbs until 5 years old.
Good point. My kids don't hit 40lbs until 6yo. Harness ONLY to 40lbs may be a lot longer than she thought.

Reply Up

Forum Home | Sponsors: Clek | Nuna | Maxi-Cosi | Britax | Graco | Kids-N-Cribs | Amazon