at what age do kids reach 40lbs

ErinSteph

on average?
My almost 2 year old is 30lbs and is in a EFTA, but I want to get a seat for my mom's car and I was thinking the Evenflo Chase. yes I know he will be FF in that seat. yes I know the RF is best. I just want to know if he can fit in that seat until he is approx. 5? Thanks so much.

ADS

mburks26

on average?
My almost 2 year old is 30lbs and is in a EFTA, but I want to get a seat for my mom's car and I was thinking the Evenflo Chase. yes I know he will be FF in that seat. yes I know the RF is best. I just want to know if he can fit in that seat until he is approx. 5? Thanks so much.

It does depend on the child. My dd was 28 or 29 at her 2 y check up and now is 39.0 at the age of 3 and 3 months (almost 4 months) she was 9lbs at birth and she also is tall at 39 inches. I do not remember how tall she was at her 2 yr check up.

Her cousion that is 6 months younger who will be 3 in Nov. and shorter then my dd Im not sure how short, was 6lbs something at birth is now 43lbs.

Then I know another cousion who is 7 and was 35lbs when she was 4.

I got my dd a Graco Cargo at age 2 thinking she shouldnt gain 10 lbs that fast boy was I wrong.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Keep in mind, though, that kids often outgrow seats by height rather than weight. So a better question might be to ask at what age kids reach X torso height.

Honestly, there's so much variation that using averages is pretty much a crapshoot when trying to determine something for one individual child.

My child would not have made it to 5 in the Chase. Or 3 for that matter, but he's very tall.

Shaunam

It really depends on the kid. My DS is 3 1/2 and barely 33 lbs (28 lbs at 2 years, having lost weight from refusing to eat). He used to be a fat toddler and now he's super skinny. LOL You also have to take into account torso height. My DS still has 7 lbs to go in his chase, but he's darn near even with the top slots now.

If you are looking for a short-term solution, the chase is fine. But if you really need it to last until 5, I'd be looking into a higher weight seat like the graco nautilus. I think very few kids would fit into the chase at 5, taking into consideration both weight AND torso height.

MissAllyLou

It's certainly different with all kids. Out of the kids I nanny for right now, one 4 year old is 31 pounds, another is 28 pounds. The 5 year old is 52 pounds, the 7 year old is 44 pounds, and the 8 year old is 89 pounds. One of the 1 year olds is 21 pounds, another is 25 pounds. It's so different for every kid! I would recommend the Graco Nautilus to you instead of the Chase. It harnesses to 65 pounds, then becomes a highback booster and a no back booster, all for about $50 more than the Chase.

my dd1 had an evenflo chase it was a hand me down from my stepsister so it expired but i would guess she would have outgrown it by around 4 and she is short. i would go with the nautilus if you really need it to reach 5.

My oldest was 40 pounds at around 3 1/2 years old.

My youngest son is 3 1/2(4 the end of january) and is 32 pounds(just had a huge weight gain finally in about a year)! LOL!
I see him at 40 pounds at 5! LOL!

ErinSteph

my ds is a rock soild little man. i have a feeling he will be 40lbs at 3 maybe 3 1/2. he won't be ready for a non-harness booster. i just don't know what to get for him for my moms car. I'll probably get a regent for my car at next years britax sale in september. but that doesn't help me now. he is very very rarely in my moms car.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
The Chase is a good, inexpensive option. Is it going to keep your little one harnessed to 5? Impossible to tell, but my guess would be no. If your little one is 30 lbs at 2, even if growth slows way down, I'm guessing he will hit 40 lbs before he is 5.

However, it's still a good little seat at a low price. You are not going to find a seat with taller top harness slots for much less than the Chase.

Last edited:
My eldest son has just turned 5 and only 34lbs. He seems to have been the same weight for almost a year, so maybe he is due a growth spurt. All of his friends weigh much more though. Basically is just every child is different. My duaghter who is lamost 3 weighs 27lbs and yet she has friends that weigh more than 40lbs:eek:

mykidsmylife

Johnathon hit 40lbs about 2m ago. He is almost 6. HOWEVER he would have outgrown the Chase at 4 yrs heightwise. So you gotta think about heightwise....

Mama!

Yeah, my dd would have outgrown the standard graco/cosco/dorel seats in height at 2 or so. She has a very tall torso.

thepote

My DS2 is 4y8m and about 39lbs. He has outgrown the Scenera by height since about 4 and 34lbs, and has just about outgrown the Uptown by height (and weight pretty soon, I guess).

Mommy2Marcus

What about a Safety 1st Uptown or Avenue? It will RF your little guy now to 35lbs & then FF him to 40lbs. It is a good seat with pretty tall top slots. I am also thinking that it has close to the same top slots as the Chase. If you have a Big Lots close by you then they have had the Uptowns for $65. Also K-Mart & Sears are carrying the new Avenue for around $80, which is pretty much the same seat as the Uptown, just with a little less padding.

Another option is the Scenera. It will not last you a terribly long time, but it might fit your needs for now since he is rarely in your moms car!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC