What is safer, backseat driver's side or passenger?

M

Mommy-2-B

I can't seem to find this information, anywhere...at least nothing conclusive. I know that the middle seat is the safest place for a child/carseat. If you have two children, though and need to use either the backseat driver's side OR the backseat passenger side...which is safer and why?

I would appreciate any information or links.

Thank you,
Abby

ADS

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Statistically, they are about the same. There is no significant safety advantage (or disadvantage) to either side.

U

Unregistered

I am not a tech or anything, but I read some studies or something similar that said the driver's side was the safest because you're instincts are to protect yourself in a crash, so the driver would protect the driver's side.

LuvBug

actually the drivers side is said to be about 13% and the passenger 11% so the passenger is slightly better but that is only from that study. Usually we suggest putting them on the passenger side so they will be unloaded safely onto the curb instead of into traffic.
how old are your children and are they ff or rf? what kind of car do you have?
You may not be able to put one center and one outboard depending on your car and seats, they both may need to be outboard(depending).

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
As I said, statistically they are nearly identical. That is what the NHTSA CPS curriculum states. At first glance, the driver's side may appear safer, because some people think you naturally protect yourself. But unfortunately you can't predict what kind of crash you'll be in. If someone on your left blows thru a stop sign, you may not even see the other car until it hits you.

We do look at lifestyle issues. If you're in a city and will be taking the baby out on the curbside, it makes sense to have the child behind the passenger. If you are mainly parking in large parking lots, it may easier to have the baby on the driver's side. These are parental "tough choices."

One way of thinking to make the statistical info moot is to think of families with more than one child. Then, unless you have a very large car, usually both children will sit on the outboard sides. Parents don't choose which child to put in the *unsafe* side. And the statistics ARE nearly the same.

Obviously, you want to make the most informed and best decision for your child. The statistics are not significantly different, so you may want to rely on how you use the car to make the best decision for your situation.

Good luck! :)

A

Abby

Thank you for the information. It was very imformative and I appreciate the time you took responding to me.

I am currently pregnant, so I will be having my child RF for quite awhile, but I do transport my nephew quite a bit, which will leave me with this dilemma. I don't live in the city.

I'm surprised that there's no statistically significant difference. I thought this would be a question with a clear answer.

Thanks, again.

U

Unregistered

IMPE, it is safer for the unharnessed child or the child who is able to "escape" from their belt to be behind the front passenger so that I can keep an eye on him/her easier. If both kids are harnessed & neither can escape, then it doesn't seem to matter except that if only 1 is RF then I like that child behind the front passenger so I can easier soothe him/her.

LuvBug

Yes they are very marginal and I wouldnt choose a side over the other because of a percent or 2. You never know which percentage you will end up being so Id concentrate on the other safety issues like side impact protection, extended harnessing, extended rearfacing, ect.

U

Unregistered

When I became a 2 kid family I started out with the baby away from my 2nd child (sibling rivalry) both outboard. Then I moved them close together (baby seat center car seat driver side) and the older child could console/confort younger and entertain each other. My friends all prefer the child on passenger side so they can turn and look at them, I prefer driver side and I use the rear view mirror - I alos can reach him easier.

Dillipop

We switch DS back and forth. In the winter, he is on the driver side. We park on the street and can't be guaranteed the snow will be shoveled off the sidewalk, making it impossible to get him out. In the summer, he is on the passenger side so we can get him out on the sidewalk. He should probably be in the center, but I have such a hard time getting him in and out that way. He's way to heavy to lift into the center and has a hard time listening to get into his seat himself that way. I figure in a few months he will have to be outboard anyway when his sibling comes, and he is so safe in his marathon anyway that at this point, it is not really something to worry about. Although, we will have to figure out something by next winter, so I don;t have to haul the infant seat over a car seat to get it out!

skaterbabs

When Joyjoy isn't in the center I put her on the driver's side. We don't do much curbside parking, and I'm too lazy to walk around the car. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC