Newborn in Radian (pics... lots)

sunnymw

OK, when I first buckled him in I had the crotch strap in the closest setting to the back of the seat (which is, like, 2 inches IN from the other two... it's way in there). Anyway, it seemed to be way too far under his bum, so I moved it out to the other one, which is even with his bum, but it makes the straps fit differently... so, which way is it supposed to be? And are the shoulder straps too high? (FTR, they are much lower when he's in cloth, lol). He is 19.5" and three days old in these pics.

firstride003.jpg

firstride004.jpg

firstride005.jpg

firstride006.jpg

firstride009.jpg

firstride010.jpg

firstride012.jpg

firstride016.jpg

firstride017.jpg

firstride013.jpg

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Can you get rid of the harness strap covers? It's really hard to tell where the height is with them on. The harness will also go tighter without them on for now.

I'm not sure which buckle position I like better... I want to see where the shoulders are in relation to the lowest harness position without the straps. I also want to see the harness tighter, and that can only happen without the harness covers on as well. :eek:

featherhead

Yay! I was waiting for newborn in Radian pics:) From the pics you posted it looks like the middle buckle slot is ok. The buckle and chest clip look so big! You could probably remove the buckle pad, and possibly the harness pads too. It would help to get a better fit.

scatterbunny

If the chest clip were up any further, it would be hitting baby's chin. :p It does appear low, though, and I think that's just an illusion because the harness strap covers are so long for such a tiny baby. I agree that we could get a better idea of strap height without the covers, and the straps could be tightened better without the covers.

firemomof3

Thanks for posting those great pictures! I was very interested to see how a newborn fit in a radian, can't wait to see more pictures!

NicoleP

This is probably a silly question but why did you choose this carseat for a newborn and not an infant carrier? Or is this an infant carrier and I don't know it?!

Sorry new to the forum :)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Oh gosh, that is a beautiful baby :love:

One thing about the Radian, is that those straps always look loose even when they are very tight due to the funky chestclip.

I think the chestclip is fine, and in fact in the first couple of pics actually wondered about it being a bit high, since in teeny squishy babies the chest clips always seem so close to the trachea.

NicoleP, many people prefer to skip the convenience of the infant bucket and use slings/wraps instead :)

BTW, the last picture is why my kids were both outboard when #2 came along ;)

sunnymw

NicoleP... the Radian is definitely not a carrier ;) I could barely get that 26lbs of seat IN my car LOL. We do have a Snugride, but the base is broken and I prefer not to use the carrier anyhow... we sling/wrap/etc. DH still refers to it as the "shin bruiser" LOL

And on the chest clip/straps... He passed the pinch test and I literally couldn't tighten it anymore. :)

BW1426

I went through the entire which slot debate too. I actually like the farther back one because the buckle doesn't sit as close to his tummy and it makes the harness a little bit tighter. I just think it helps to make things a little snugger.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I would love to see pics without the harness cover as well. We *may or may not* be purchasing another Radian for DC2

Mommy2Marcus

Awww...He is precious! I think I agree that the 1st slot with the buckle looks better as it pulls the buckle down lower. Otherwise he looks good! The seat actually does seem to fit a newborn well. Thanks for sharing!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
IIRC, the manual states pretty clearly the kiddo shouldn't be sitting on the crotch strap, so if it's under his bum he needs the next one.

crunchierthanthou

IIRC, the manual states pretty clearly the kiddo shouldn't be sitting on the crotch strap, so if it's under his bum he needs the next one.

it's the other way. It either needs to go straight down or angle forward (come from under the child). It can't angle back (be in front of the child). There's an illustration on page 35.

I'd probably go with the first crotch strap position because it seems to give an overall better fit.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
it's the other way. It either needs to go straight down or angle forward (come from under the child). It can't angle back (be in front of the child). There's an illustration on page 35.

Ok, thanks for the correction!! :thumbsup:

In that case, I'd pick the one closest to the back, so the kiddo doesn't slide down in the seat :)

crunchierthanthou

In that case, I'd pick the one closest to the back, so the kiddo doesn't slide down in the seat :)

yeah, I'd probably go with the first crotch strap position because it seems to give an overall better fit. Is his bottom all the way to the back? I'm having a hard time imagining a 3 day old being even with the second slot when properly positioned.

Melizerd

This is probably a silly question but why did you choose this carseat for a newborn and not an infant carrier? Or is this an infant carrier and I don't know it?!

Sorry new to the forum :)

This is a convertible carseat. Not all moms want to use an infant carrier or are trying to get three seats across in one row. The Radian is great for 3 across situations and it's one of the convertibles that fits newborns well (for the most part of course).

doriansmummy

What a cuttiiiieee!! Oh those tiny baby feet!:love:

He looks really comfy in the Radian. I have never seen a baby in a Radian and we have one, but got it when my son was 4. Thanks for the photos!:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC