Question 5 point seat for a 38 lb. 2 year old?

P

Panjo

I've scanned the boards but haven't found quite what I'm looking for, I hope to get some advice! I have a big 2 year old. He's 27 months, and about 38 lbs. We have a Marathon that I know will last him awhile, but we are looking for a (preferrably) inexpensive seat for my moms car. Am I correct that he'll need a 5 point booster? Or convertible that can convert to a booster later? I'm not sure what the right terminology is, but it seems that a lot of the ones that go up to 100 lbs only have the 5 pt. harness until 40 lbs, then it's the lap belt, which is not enough at his age. It seems that our options are limited.

Any suggestions on what to get? The Graco Nautilus is one of the few that I've found.

ADS

canadiangie

Since he's too heavy to rear face, and you're needing a good basic seat for gramma's car that will provide him with a 5 point harness for a long time, then yes, the Graco Nautilus is a really good idea.

It allows for harnessed use up to 65lbs providing his shoulders are under the top harness slots.

Once the harness is outgrown and he is at least 40lbs the seat can be converted to a highback booster mode.

And once he's outgrown the highback booster by seated height it can then be converted to backless booster mode.

It's the only 'do-all' seat that will actually do it all, and do it well. :thumbsup:

FYI:

rear facing to forward facing seats (such as your Marathon) are known as Convertible seats.

forward facing to booster seats (such as the Nautilus) are known as Combination seats.

seats that allow for rear facing, forward facing and booster mode (such as the Alpha Omega or 3-in-1) are known as Comprehensive seats.

seats that are booster mode only (such as the Graco Turbo Booster) are known as Dedicated boosters. They come in highback and backless form.

hth's

Heather98012

The Britax Frontier is another option, but it is $130 more than the Graco Nautilus. So, for riding in Grandma's car, I'd get the Nautilus. It would be a really great investment for you, as it will work a long, long time in the various modes.

crunchierthanthou

What car does your mom drive?

Both the GN and Frontier meet your needs with somewhat similar features, but the GN tends to be compatible with (or is at least more easily installed in) more vehicles.

P

Panjo

Great, thanks for your responses! Here in Oregon the law requires the 5 point harness until 4 years old, regardless of weight. Looks like the GN might be best for us- it's a decent price. My moms car is an older Honda Civic, I think. I don't think it has a Latch.

Now off to try and find a good deal on one!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The others gave great advice about which seat would work well for you, so I will not comment on the fact that I would also recommend the Graco Nautilus.

I do, however, want to comment on this:

only have the 5 pt. harness until 40 lbs, then it's the lap belt, which is not enough at his age.

Just to let you know, you cannot use a lap-belt-only with a booster. In fact, a lap-belt should only be used to secure a harnessed child seat. A child or adult should never use a lap-belt only.

So, when your son is ready for a booster (which is a long time from now :)), you will need to make sure he is seated in a position with a lap/shoulder belt combination. It is important to have that shoulder portion too.

You might have already known that, and that might have been what you meant, but I just wanted to make sure. :)

P

Panjo

The others gave great advice about which seat would work well for you, so I will not comment on the fact that I would also recommend the Graco Nautilus.

I do, however, want to comment on this:

Just to let you know, you cannot use a lap-belt-only with a booster. In fact, a lap-belt should only be used to secure a harnessed child seat. A child or adult should never use a lap-belt only.

So, when your son is ready for a booster (which is a long time from now :)), you will need to make sure he is seated in a position with a lap/shoulder belt combination. It is important to have that shoulder portion too.

You might have already known that, and that might have been what you meant, but I just wanted to make sure. :)

Thank you! That is actually what I meant, but I appreciate your clarification!

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Just thought I would add one thing! I do think the Nautilus is a great seat and likely your little one will last a very long time in it. But, if you have a heavy 2 year old, you might want to consider a seat like the Regent simply because it has an 80 lb weight limit. The Regent is made for heavier kids. The Regent on sale is not a ton more than the Nautilus and you could use it in your car after the MA is outgrown. You could also consider the Radian 80. Neither the Radian 80 or the Regent will convert to a booster, but they will last your child a very long time.

mburks26

To the OP just wanted to say I have a 95 Honda Civic 2 door Ex. and the Graco Nautilus works great in the center. It must be in reclined mode and will only work til the last harness spot. Its too tall to be used in booster mode the head rest can not be rasied up to be used in booster mode for outboard postion. I have yet to determine if the low back can be used outboard becasue of the width of the seats. when I tried it, the GN looked like it was going to sit ontop of the buckle end, but the female end was twisted and now I have gotten the twist out but havent been able to try it yet in low back booster.I will be able to really play with it next weekend and take pics of the seat.

I can take pic of the seat in the center tommorrow I think depends if dh has to work or not.

P

Panjo

Thank you! The Regent and Radian are both about $280 compared with $140 for the Graco Nautilus. I think I'll go with that one.

Thanks for the tips about the Honda Civic! I'll have to find out exactly what kind of car my mom has.

P

Panjo

Great! I actually just found one on Craigs List that is less than 90 days old, no accident, for $125. She's getting rid of it (and a marathon) because she can't fit 3 across in her Corolla. Everyplace else is $150, so I'm going to get it from her.

The Baby Center deal looks good, but the "free shipping" doesn't work for oversized items- the car seat would be $25 to ship. :-(

Thanks for all your advice!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC