Are These Safe to Use?

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
They are "safe" because they pass federal motor vehicle safety standards. However, there are some other restraints that would offer more safety features. But to answer your question, yes, they are "safe".

Neatfreak

One of my friends brought a pair of those to use temporarily on a family holiday in Italy, and for whatever reason, she wasn't able to install them in their rental vehicle.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
You can use the search forum feature to find other threads about the Tote-N-Go or TNG....

They do crash test well because crash tests are frontal impact only & this is such a low profile "seat". They're also narrow to accomodate tight squeezes, but the harness adjustments are incredibly obnoxious to fit correctly every time + they offer no side impact protection whatsoever.

I had one of these & hated it. It was useful the 1 time we needed it in Manhattan taxicabs, but I'd have prefered almost anything else because it never once installed correctly with less than 1" movement. When we got home it was demoted to a teaching tool -- kiddo used it to buckle in her dolly next to her as a way of encouraging cooperation.

When my DD was a toddler & preschooler I would have prefered a Scenera with GogoKidz over this thing. For an infant/toddler, I would prefer the Graco SafeSeat Step1. Now we have the Ride Safer Travel Vest & it's so much easier to work with.

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's kind of a 'last resort' option...say, if you're going to a foreign country on a cruise and may not even get in a car, and if you DO get in a car you are really risking it only having lapbelts...then it's better than a lapbelt... for everyday use (or even part time at grandmas)? It's definitely a poor subsitute for a real carseat :)

Mommy2Five

I'm going to have to say they are NOT safe.
We bought two of these as emergency back up seats intending for them to be for situations when someone w/o a seat would need to pick up one of our DC (never actually happened). I tried them in 4 different cars, all seating positions, and NEVER got an acceptable install in ANY of them :mad:.
They were also a PITA to adjust, and the straps twisted into a jumbled nightmare!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC