Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum to Ask Questions. Find help on how to pick the best infant, toddler or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles!

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
agurlsride
Carseat Crazy

agurlsride is a novice Car-Seat.Org journalist
Ugh...more opinions please

Ok...SIL is selling some of her seats that she no longer uses. One is an Eddie Bauer 3 in 1..approx 3 years old so I'm almost positive it has the lower harness slots and no EPP foam, the other is an Evenflo Triumph DLX about 2 years old. If you were to buy one of them (the EB for $50 or the Triumph for $25) which would you pick for a 30lb 27mo old...with the knowledge that he can RF in the EB but it has no EPP foam and wont be usable for long when FF, and with the Triumph he cannot RF but would be able to FF longer (height wise), last year my then 6yr old dd and her 7yr old brother could still fit by height in the Triumph with room to grow...seriously, I have pics to prove it!

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
abacus2
CPS Fanatic

abacus2 is almost a CPS know-it-allabacus2 is almost a CPS know-it-allabacus2 is almost a CPS know-it-allabacus2 is almost a CPS know-it-all
Re: Ugh...more opinions please

For a 2+, 30lb+ kid, I'd chose the Triumph. What is he currently using? Can he RF in his current seat still?
abacus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
agurlsride
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacus2 View Post
For a 2+, 30lb+ kid, I'd chose the Triumph. What is he currently using? Can he RF in his current seat still?
Right now he is rf'ing in a Scenera, while I dont hate the seat, I really dont like the fact that it has NO padding whatsoever (I noticed that the newer Sceneras at Walmart have more padding....grrr)..and no EPS foam either. I am leaning towards the Triumph because of the foam and the fact that it would last him longer...and the padding. :-) Its also more around what I can spend...money is very tight...and there really isnt anything to spare.
agurlsride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
Starlight
CPS Technician

Starlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Remember that this is in an OLD Triumph, so very short shell and only 40 lb limit. (As opposed to the Triumph Advance)
Old 04-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
agurlsride
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightCPST View Post
Remember that this is in an OLD Triumph, so very short shell and only 40 lb limit. (As opposed to the Triumph Advance)
Oh yes, thanks :-) I know. I used to have 2 of the old Triumphs...I'll attach pics of my older kids in them! Only my oldest and youngest dd's rode in these seats as they were both under the 40lb limit.

This is my oldest dd..she is 6 in this pic.

This is my oldest ds, he is 7 here...

Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
safeinthecar
Moderator - CPS Technician

safeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Wow. Talk about getting your money's worth out of those seats.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:46 AM   #7
agurlsride
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
Wow. Talk about getting your money's worth out of those seats.
Yeah tell me about it....but my kids are pretty small so thats probably an advantage...ds just barely hit 48lbs at 8.5yrs old.

I am still toying between car seats...I liked the Triumph ok, and have never used an EB although I've always been curious about them. I feel bad about FF'ing ds at this age, I was hoping to keep him rf'ing until he was 3.
The plan was to keep him rf'ing until age 3 and then move him to a Nautilus or Frontier..whichever I could afford. I have a newly turned 5yr old who's been in a booster for 6 months that I am dying to put back in a harnessed seat but haven't had the money...its looking like she'll be 6 before I could even think about it and at that point I'd be comfortable with her in a booster full time.
I don't know...I basically have until tomorrow morning to decide before she gets rid of one of them to another friend. So right now I have first pick.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:26 AM   #8
carseatcoach
Carseat Crankypants

carseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

What is the RFing limit on the old Triumphs? I know some older Evenflo seats only RFed to 30 pounds, which would make the decision moot.

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart
carseatcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
myliljunebugs
Senior Community Member

myliljunebugs is a popular Car-Seat.org writer

The old Evenflo Triumph only rear faces to 30lbs, which is why this seat could make a difference in RF/FF

agurlsride, Do you know that you will be able to buy a new FF seat for him in a year or two? If so I would probably get the AO to keep him RF and then save for the FF seat. I love my EFTA, and loved my Triumph, but especially if you want to continue to RF I would go with the AO. I might be wrong, but I was thinking RF w/o EPS foam is still safer than FF with it. Right? Oh, and that is so cool that your kids used the Triumph for so long! I was stoked that my son made it to 4! LOL

Connor, 11 years, 5' 112lbs, seatbelt
Ella, 8 years, 52" 60lb, FR 85, PW
myliljunebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 AM   #10
ginny4
CPS Fanatic

ginny4 is almost a CPS know-it-allginny4 is almost a CPS know-it-allginny4 is almost a CPS know-it-all

i orginally thinking the AO since you want RF longer (35lbs) BUT the shell is short on it. how tall is your son's torso? my DS would be too tall to RF in it. his torso is 13in (i just checked) & i also sat him in the AO for a minute & he is ababout 1in from top of shell

Last edited by ginny4; 05-01-2008 at 08:26 AM.
ginny4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #11
agurlsride
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by myliljunebugs View Post
The old Evenflo Triumph only rear faces to 30lbs, which is why this seat could make a difference in RF/FF

agurlsride, Do you know that you will be able to buy a new FF seat for him in a year or two? If so I would probably get the AO to keep him RF and then save for the FF seat. I love my EFTA, and loved my Triumph, but especially if you want to continue to RF I would go with the AO. I might be wrong, but I was thinking RF w/o EPS foam is still safer than FF with it. Right? Oh, and that is so cool that your kids used the Triumph for so long! I was stoked that my son made it to 4! LOL
Actually I dont know whether we'll be financially able to buy a ff'ing HWH seat for him for a while...the triumph just seems more practical right now I guess..I'll just have to get over the rf'ing thing. :-O
Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #12
agurlsride
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginny4 View Post
i orginally thinking the AO since you want RF longer (35lbs) BUT the shell is short on it. how tall is your son's torso? my DS would be too tall to RF in it. his torso is 13in (i just checked) & i also sat him in the AO for a minute & he is ababout 1in from top of shell
I put ds in an AOE yesterday and his head was just a tad below the top of the shell....his torso is 12.5" so I guess it really wouldn't be worth it?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
abacus2
CPS Fanatic

abacus2 is almost a CPS know-it-allabacus2 is almost a CPS know-it-allabacus2 is almost a CPS know-it-allabacus2 is almost a CPS know-it-all

Why don't you get the Triumph, but continue to use the Scenera until it's outgrown RFing? Rfing is safer than FFing even when considering EPS foam, but once FFing is required, the Triumph is the best of your three easily affordable options.
abacus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
agurlsride
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacus2 View Post
Why don't you get the Triumph, but continue to use the Scenera until it's outgrown RFing? Rfing is safer than FFing even when considering EPS foam, but once FFing is required, the Triumph is the best of your three easily affordable options.
Yeah, I thought about that and its probably what I will do...at least until the end of the summer...I probably will put him in the seat for our trip to CA in June just because its going to be more comfortable than sitting in an unpadded Scenera for 11 hours.

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!