Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum to Ask Questions. Find help on how to pick the best infant, toddler or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles!

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

Old 10-11-2005, 02:06 PM   #1
Unregistered

Britax Roundabout - rear to fwd LATCH???

Hello -

I am trying to switch my child's seat from rear to forward facing. I must be missing something - The manual says to place straps in the forward facing position. How do you get the LATCH strap out from the rear facing position? There is a loop holding the LATCH strap in place (it's too small to get the LATCH strap through), so I can't get it out from under the seat cover...

Does this sound right to you?

E

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 10-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
scatterbunny
Senior Community Member

scatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expert
I think when it says to place straps in the forward-facing position, they mean to raise up the harness straps to 'at or above' your child's shoulders.

I could be wrong, though!

How old/tall/heavy is the child? What vehicle is the seat going in?

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche
scatterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:35 PM   #3
Unregistered

She just turned one a month ago, is 22 lbs - tall for her age, too, though I don't know the exact measurement right now. It's going in a Toyota 4Runner.

My problem is the LATCH strap, not the shoulder harness. I can't get the strap (that has both LATCH thingies on the ends) OUT from under the seat cover. Seems very strange to me...

Ellen
Old 10-11-2005, 02:49 PM   #4
Victorious4
CPS Technician

Victorious4 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderVictorious4 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderVictorious4 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderVictorious4 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderVictorious4 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderVictorious4 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderVictorious4 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderVictorious4 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderVictorious4 is a Car-Seat.org Leader
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

Honestly, you don't need to worry about turning her at all yet - it is ideal to wait until she reaches the maximum weight limit of the seat (33 pounds, I believe) ... RF is so much safer that some countries require it past 3 years old & there has never been a single recorded case of leg/foot injruy because of extended RF - click the 2nd line link in my signature to see more kids who remain RF past the minimum guideline
Victorious4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #5
scatterbunny
Senior Community Member

scatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expert
(rear-facing seat, installed properly--it's a Britax, so it's tethered while rear-facing) http://www.britax.fi/quicktime/TWoh200.AVI

(forward-facing seat, installed properly) http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_s...cosipriori.mpg

There really is a big difference in the amount of strain put on a child's neck/bones when forward-facing. The American Academy of Pediatrics has recommended for a few years now to keep babies rear-facing as long as they still fit rear-facing in their convertible carseat. Britax convertibles rear-face to 33 pounds in the US.

If you insist on keeping her forward-facing, make sure to top-tether the seat. In countries that routinely turn babies forward-facing as soon as they reach 20 pounds, top-tethering greatly reduces the chances of serious injury.

I hope someone can come along quickly with the answer to your original question about the LATCH straps. I've never had to install a seat with LATCH, since all my vehicles are older than dirt.

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche
scatterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:37 PM   #6
Unregistered

Thank you SO much for enlightening me. I am off to check the rear facing height and weight limits for the Roundabout. Many many thanks.

Ellen
Old 10-12-2005, 09:46 AM   #7
joolsplus3
Admin - CPS Technician

joolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire
33 pounds and the head being even with the top of the seat

But now I'm wondering, how DO we get that LATCH strap from the RF to the FF position?!?!?!? We'll have to figure it out by next year or so when she has to Forward Face... the manual is really no help?
Old 10-12-2005, 09:54 AM   #8
joolsplus3
Admin - CPS Technician

joolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire
Yeah, page 21... "align the latch harness in the proper belt path"
Um... not helpful!
http://www.britaxusa.com/documents/RAB-LATCH_R05b.pdf
It's one of those things you just have to keep playing with and looking at the pictures till you understand, or call 1-888-4BRITAX and have them walk you through it.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #9
purstrength

purstrength is a Car-Seat.Org cub writer
I have a Roundabout, and on my seat, you can pull the latch strap out, pulling it out on the side with the "loop"...then you just thread it through the back where you would put the seat belt if you were using it.

Does that make sense?
purstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:33 PM   #10
joolsplus3
Admin - CPS Technician

Oh good...I guess they thought it was so obvious they didn't describe it in the manual? I wish they would, though (since I don't HAVE a roundabout!)

Old 10-13-2005, 11:12 AM   #11
TXDani
CPS Technician

TXDani is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTXDani is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTXDani is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTXDani is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTXDani is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTXDani is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTXDani is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTXDani is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Gosh I wish I wasn't so lazy right now I would go check my manual for our RA, because I think remember reading how to switch them from rf to ff. I *believe* if my memory is serving me correctly that one LATCH connector is for the drivers side and vise versa. So if you are already using LATCH rf then you thread the LATCH connector and strap back up thru the little slot they come out of and then pull the other one up from the oppsite side and then switch the side they come out of. It was pretty easy when I did it to install mine. If anyone wants me to check my manual and post what it says let me know and I can do that today once I get some of that needed energy.

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!