Anybody know of a spot for rf tether in a Malibu?

Chex

My sister just got a Radian and her husband installed it in their 1999 Malibu. So of course, I had to go check his install today! :evil grin: He did a pretty good job, but it was a little loose at the belt path, so I tightened it. Now it's in solid. He didn't do the tether, though. (It's rf-ing). And I looked and looked to try to figure out a place to attach it, but couldn't. If I wrapped it around the part that the seat slides on, it wouldn't let my sister be back far enough in her seat (she's 5'10") and it didn't fit around it anyway....the d-ring belt wasn't long enough.

So what I'm wondering is if anybody's figured out another place to attach it, and also if there's any way to get a d-ring with a longer belt attached to it.

Also, I had a question on the install. I'm not a tech, but I've done a million installs. I'm not familiar with the rules concerning her seatbelt, though. It's a lapbelt only, and it isn't an automatic-locking one (the kind that ratchet). It has the tail that you pull to tighten it. It feels rock solid, but I'm wondering if there's a chance of it loosening with this type of seatbelt. Anyone know?

Thanks!

-Ann

ETA: I wanted to add that I'm going to have her get it checked by a tech as soon as possible. I know it's in tight, but I always feel better having a tech check it!

Last edited:
ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I have an 05 Malibu Maxx. I tether RF to the seat track under the passanger seat, once the passanger seat is in a position that it won't be moved from.

If the latchplate on the lap belt does no lay properly then in MAY loosen over time. The fix for this is to flip the latch plate over and then buckle it.

Also---did you route the belt over or under the LATCH bars? I know it has to be one of the other, but can't remember off the top of my head.

Susan

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The Radian doesn't have LATCH bars on the sides like the Marathon and Blvd. convertible seats. ;) IIRC you would route a lap-only belt under the LATCH bar on the MA or Blvd.

Chex

Thanks for your response. My problem is that my BIL who sits in the passenger seat is a really big guy and always has the seat scooted as far back as possible. So I can't get the D-ring strap around the seat track. It's just not long enough. Any other ideas?

-Ann

Misty-Bug

did you look at the seatbelt for the front seat? I moved the plastic that covered the screw on mine and found a perfect anchor spot looks like this. I was told it was a fine spot too

Jan408005.jpg

Chex

Is that the seatbelt anchor on the outboard side of the seat or the middle of the seat? I know I could've hooked it around the seatbelt anchor in one of the outboard positions, but the carseat is installed in the center, and I thought that the angle wouldn't be good (for it to come from the center clear over to the side of the vehicle). But I didn't see that part in the inside seatbelt anchor....I'll have to look again next time I see her.

-Ann

Misty-Bug

ah nope it is outboard. Not good for center installs. I would tether it to the seat track anyway and push the seat back as far as it can go. It should work just fine. It should be long enough to wrap around itself like this:
october26008.jpg

there should be enough. Good luck!

Chex

I guess I'll have to fidget with it some more because I couldn't get it around the seat track that way. The only way I could see to do it was to wrap it around the entire thing and it wasn't long enough to do that.

-Ann

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC