Signature Height, Width and Size Guideline

CRS

Senior Community Member
I thought I would start this thread in the hope that it would benefit those new to car-seat.org (or maybe even some exisiting members! :p).

This is not targetting anyone, it's just nice to be reminded of things from time to time as we soon lose sight of things. It's lovely to see everyones pictures of their beautiful children but some times these pictures can clog up the threads :)

Please refer to this thread http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=8936 and the below quote (especially that in bold).

Please limit any images and tickers in your signature to a reasonable size, especially if you use multiple images. Please limit the combined height of all your photos, tickers and images to 240 pixels tall as an absolute maximum. The combined width should be no more than 640 pixels wide. The combined file size should be no more than 100kb. We don't want our forum threads to be cluttered like they are on some other websites, with the large majority of a thead being comprised of signatures and advertisements with little actual content.

I know when I first came here I had big siggys too! So if we all have fairly sized ones it will make it so much easier to read threads :D

:love: Hopefully this is of help to somebody!! :love:

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Great reminder. I usually post this (reminder) when I explain how to add a picture ;) Some can get pretty big especially if you aren't aware of the allowable size.

After you upload your pictures to your photo account,
-you right click on the picture,
-click on properties,
-highlight the whole address and copy it.
-You can then at car-seat.org go to where you want to post your picture.
-On the tool bar there is a square that has a mountain and a little sun on it (5th from the right), click on it and paste your picture address in there,
-click ok.
You have now insterted you picture and can finish up what you want on your post.

You go about adding a picture to your siggie the same way, but you paste it in the siggie box either above or below your name.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks for the friendly reminder and the link to the signature size guidelines announcements. I've moved the thread to the announcements/feedback section where it'll hopefully be seen more.

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I thought I would start this thread in the hope that it would benefit those new to car-seat.org (or maybe even some exisiting members! :p).

This is not targetting anyone, it's just nice to be reminded of things from time to time as we soon lose sight of things. It's lovely to see everyones pictures of their beautiful children but some times these pictures can clog up the threads :)

Please refer to this thread http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=8936 and the below quote (especially that in bold).

I know when I first came here I had big siggys too! So if we all have fairly sized ones it will make it so much easier to read threads :D

:love: Hopefully this is of help to somebody!! :love:

:thumbsup:

While you can turn off images altogether in your user CP, many people like to see signature photos and avatars without seeing a whole page of pictures over and over for a couple lines of text in the reply.

So, it is the 240 pixel total height limit that is important. If you want to add banners, tickers or text above or below your photo, then the photo should be less than 240 pixels high to make it fit. Having a couple 240h x 320w photos side-by-side is fine, it's when you stack a ticker on top and 4 lines of text below that pushes a signature way over the guidelines. Snowbird25ca's signature above is a perfect example of a signature that has images a little under 240 pixels tall so that she could add a few lines of text above it. That is about as tall as any signature should be. Thank you, Trudy!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Right click on your picture and then click on properties and it will give you the size and dimentions along with the URL address of the picture. Yours is 213x320 wide so you are good :thumbsup:

Last edited:

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
When working with an image alone, all you have to check is the image size. Remember, screen resolution is 72dpi so if you can only get an inch measurement on your image size all you have to do is multiply it by 72 to get the pixel dimensions. For reference, 240x640 is 3.33" x 8.88". When adding text you have to take that size into account as well.

Your siggy is 317px wide by 290px tall (I took a screenshot and cropped it in Photoshop).

southpawboston

thank you thank you thank you CRS!! honestly, while i enjoy seeing pic of all your wonderful families, it does take up screen real estate, and i'm a "form follows function" kind of guy, so i keep signatures off, anyway!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
While my siggy is small, I am guilty of posting large pictures in posts. :eek:

When I use photobucket, I am able to reduce the size. When I copy the picture from a website, though, I don't know how to reduce the size without saving the image to my computer and then alter it.

CRS

Senior Community Member

When I use photobucket, I am able to reduce the size. When I copy the picture from a website, though, I don't know how to reduce the size without saving the image to my computer and then alter it.

I don't think big pictures in posts is too bad, when it's for a good reason but siggys is a little different IMO :) And I think you're right, I don't think you can reduce the size of the picture unless you save it to your computer, alter it, then upload it somewhere.

shellebelle

Senior Community Member

I'm too lazy to log into Photobucket...so I use imageshack.us. No login required and it'll puke out a thumbnail image that links to the full size image. You can upload an image URL too, it appears.

Only downside is that if you upload an image without a login, once you click off that page there's no way to get back at the uploaded URLs.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

There are no current restrictions on other photos. Plus, if uploaded to the server, they should be automatically thumbnailed.

Synchro246

I never realized that the pic needed to be smaller if there was to be a line of text. I shortened my pic a little to hopefully make up for the two lines.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I never realized that the pic needed to be smaller if there was to be a line of text. I shortened my pic a little to hopefully make up for the two lines.

It is pretty rare that anyone is reported or warned for having a full size pic plus a couple lines of text, but it is technically over the limit. It's too much work to police minor stuff like that, usually;-) Moderators don't go looking for people who are barely over the limit, but sometimes they get reported or draw attention for other reasons.

You can have text to the side of a full size pic, but it can be tricky to do a good layout that way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC