HBB use ok with low shoulder belt?

twom

Someone on another board is considering moving their booster-sized dd to the center position of the car. She is in an Evenflo Big Kid Deluxe. Apparently the shoulder belt comes out of the seat there, and is pretty low. The mom says the dd fits the belt without a booster, but there's no head support, so she is asking if she can use the booster in that position for the head support. Is it ok to use it if the shoulder belt comes out below the booster belt guide?

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I believe the consensus was that this is acceptable, however, some high-back boosters require vehicle head support. She should check the manual to make sure hers isn't one of those (sorry, I can't remember off the top of my head!)

twom

Thanks! I'll let her know. And for my own education, why is this ok? Logically, it seems like having the belt guides higher than where the belt comes out, this would be adding slack in the belt in the event of a crash, in whatever amount of belt had to go up to the belt guide. Does that make sense?

Defrost

Thanks! I'll let her know. And for my own education, why is this ok? Logically, it seems like having the belt guides higher than where the belt comes out, this would be adding slack in the belt in the event of a crash, in whatever amount of belt had to go up to the belt guide. Does that make sense?

As soon as the child's body adds force to the belt, it will lock. It doesn't have to travel through the belt guide to do this, as both the child and the booster will be moving forward and putting force on the belt.

twom

As soon as the child's body adds force to the belt, it will lock. It doesn't have to travel through the belt guide to do this, as both the child and the booster will be moving forward and putting force on the belt.
So....
Are booster belt guides designed to handle crash forces, like the slots in a FF harnessed seat? If not, how is it different than using a non-reinforced FF harness slot? It seems like, since the belt is locking down below the belt guide, it could just rip through the belt guide and then have the slack and improper positioning. I'm not doubting you, I'm just trying to figure it out. It doesn't make sense to me yet. :)

Defrost

Well, it's not the same as using non-reinforced slots on a harnessed seat, because that would leave the child completely unrestrained rather than having slack.

Still, it's a good point. I'm honestly not sure. I don't see the belt guides as being reinforced on most boosters. I just know that last time this question came up, we were completely unable to find any booster manual that mentioned it at all, much less one that disallowed it.

Perhaps she should call Evenflo?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Maybe she should call Evenflo... but really it's a pre-crash positioner...it's likely to break or the belt come out of the slot no matter what, in a crash. The harness slot in a harnessed seat is more akin to the shoulderbelt anchor in the car, if you want to compare apples to apples. There are shoulderbelt positioners of all shapes and sizes for use with adult belts on adult seats, and I don't believe there's any evidence they cause the seatbelt not to work properly :twocents: (Look at a Subaru with the belt coming from the ceiling...or at one of those 80s'ish sports cars with the big plastic belt guides on the outside of the front seats, for example).

Defrost

There are shoulderbelt positioners of all shapes and sizes for use with adult belts on adult seats, and I don't believe there's any evidence they cause the seatbelt not to work properly :twocents: (Look at a Subaru with the belt coming from the ceiling...or at one of those 80s'ish sports cars with the big plastic belt guides on the outside of the front seats, for example).

Oo, that reminds me - I've seen pics of a vehicle seatbelt guide that was on top of the vehicle seat (was it Splash's car?), where the retractor was in the ceiling but the guide on the vehicle seatback pulled it down. Pretty much identical to what we're talking about the booster's belt guide doing.

Also, it just seems like something they'd have mentioned in the manuals if it was a risk - they've got warnings about using it with short vehicle seats, certain types of seat belts, etc - but not this?

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC