Pics: lots of boosters, big 6 year old

scatterbunny

We tried out six different boosters today. :D My first post will be full-length photos of my dd in each booster, second post will be photos showing her height growing room in each booster (showing how much space between her shoulder and the shoulderbelt guide on the tallest setting), third post will be photos showing the seat depth/leg support of each booster.

My daughter is 6 years and 8 months old (in three more days), stands 50.5 inches tall and as of today weighs 59 pounds:

Compass B510
Recaro Vivo
Britax Parkway
Britax Monarch
Graco AirBooster
Graco TurboBooster
Recaro Start

Photos, in the order listed above:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
Recarostartinthecar.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

scatterbunny

Again, same order, but I didn't get one of the B510's seat depth.

Recaro Vivo
Britax Parkway
Britax Monarch
Graco AirBooster
Graco TurboBooster
Recaro Start

13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
recarostartinthecarseatdepth.jpg

Last edited:

scatterbunny

Recaro Vivo
Britax Monarch

Look like the best fit, though with not much r2g.

She actually has LOADS of height growing room in the Vivo, at least as much as in the Parkway (those are the two tallest boosters), but the Vivo is the shortest in the seat depth BY FAR. Usually she complains about that, but this time she didn't. She actually claimed to love the Vivo, she kept caressing the headwings. :p

I do like the way the Vivo and Monarch position the lapbelt nice and low and flat, and I love the Vivo's wings, but I can't get over the short seat depth.

And I'm SUPER SUPER disappointed in the lack of height room in the AirBooster. :( We both ADORE that seat, for the comfort and seat depth. It's the deepest booster by far. But not much height growing room.

mcomommy

Awesome! Thanks for doing that, it is really neat to be able to see them all compared, I really like the Vivo fit the best I think, the Monarch being a close second.

seamonkeys

Yeah, I was going to comment that the Vivo looked the worst because of seat depth!! From the full-length photo it looked like she was going to slide right off the front! :)

She actually has LOADS of height growing room in the Vivo, at least as much as in the Parkway (those are the two tallest boosters), but the Vivo is the shortest in the seat depth BY FAR. Usually she complains about that, but this time she didn't. She actually claimed to love the Vivo, she kept caressing the headwings. :p

I do like the way the Vivo and Monarch position the lapbelt nice and low and flat, and I love the Vivo's wings, but I can't get over the short seat depth.

And I'm SUPER SUPER disappointed in the lack of height room in the AirBooster. :( We both ADORE that seat, for the comfort and seat depth. It's the deepest booster by far. But not much height growing room.

scatterbunny

Sigh. The more I look at these pics, the more upset I get at how darn big my 6yo is. :( She'll be too big for some highbacks within the year, and too big for even the taller highbacks by 7-8, I'm sure. :(

I tried her in the Regent, too (no pics, though), and she's only got about an inch. She had a growth spurt in the past couple of months, about an inch, and it must have all been mostly torso. I had to raise up her boosters a few weeks ago.

HEVY

Compass-Depth and belt over the hips.
Parkway-Depth, high slot and belt over hips. But it looks confining on the arms.
TB-Looks comfy, armrests.

scatterbunny

Compass-Depth and belt over the hips.
Parkway-Depth, high slot and belt over hips. But it looks confining on the arms.
TB-Looks comfy, armrests.

The funny thing is, we used to have a Parkway and we got rid of it because dd always complained that it hurt her legs. :( The way it slopes at the front seems to let her legs slope at an angle that's uncomfortable for her. The B510 measures about the same, depthwise, as the Parkway, but the B510's seat doesn't slope down so much and she says it's more comfortable for her legs.

Also, the only seat she mentioned feeling squished in was the Vivo, but that's the seat she raved about the most. :rolleyes: She loved the wings on the Parkway, though; the only thing she complained about was the unsupportive seat and that it was tippy.

And she hates the Turbo. It's the least supportive for her legs. Other than that, it's fine: a good width for her, the armrests are high enough to be somewhat useful. But comfort for her legs is a huge factor for her, and if she isn't comfortable, she doesn't sit right!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Sigh. The more I look at these pics, the more upset I get at how darn big my 6yo is. :( She'll be too big for some highbacks within the year, and too big for even the taller highbacks by 7-8, I'm sure. :(

I tried her in the Regent, too (no pics, though), and she's only got about an inch. She had a growth spurt in the past couple of months, about an inch, and it must have all been mostly torso. I had to raise up her boosters a few weeks ago.

Jenny, I am with you. My dd turned 7 in December and I tried her in my friends Husky today and she has about .5 inch-1 inch of grow room left. She is tall just like your dd. I hate how limited we are for safety at this point.

I think when I hit booster I'm gonna be using this.

http://www.safetyangel.com/products.pl?f=product&p=1

Just seems like it will accomadate all my needs.

I wouldn't based on the minimal side impact protection and the features are too basic, compaired to what will be out next - they only get better.

We have the same sort of seat here, as you quote above and they are 2 piece polystyrene. Too risky for my liking.

Of course, if it meets your needs (your child's too) then that's great that you have found what you're after.

HEVY

Wellll I do have about 4-5 years, lol. I liked that booster because of the extra extended harness. I see the booster is two pieces, think I would use the bottom one alone if had too. Do you plan on one of these or are/can you wait until the Frontier or Montery come out. But if I had to choose right now I would choose the one my dd is most comfy in. I would ask her which two are comfy then choose the one you think is safer.

mimieliza

I have a silly question - I'm years and years away from boosters, so I don't know how this works. What happens when she is too tall for the belt guides on a HBB? Do you just use the low back booster at that point until she passes the five-step test to be in a seat belt?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
She frustrating! We are dealing with the same thing with Tyler. I sure hope the Monterey is decent!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC