Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Community > Carseat Chat

Notices

Carseat Chat Introductions and Miscellaneous Child Passenger Safety Topics and Chat. Discuss Ratings, Laws, News, Etc. No Off-topic Discussions!

Carseat Chat is sponsored by Kids-N-Cribs.com

Old 02-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
cdncasper
Carseat Crazy

cdncasper is a Car-Seat.org recognized contributor
Do you have a tech kit??

I just got my tech kit a few weekends ago and so glad I have it now, keeps everything organized. So do all the techs have one??? What do you have in it??

In mine I have:
--scale
--inspection forms
--about 6 pens
--envelope for finished inspection forms
--clipboard
--stuff for kids (pencils, temp. tattoos)
--pool noodles
--screwdriver
--mini flashlight
--duct tape
--scissors
--notepad
--carseat info sheets
--recall book
--mpi buisness cards
--hand sanitizer
--locking clips
--probably something else that I just can't remember

April
mommy to Kort, 4.5 years, 37 lbs, 41 inches, harnessed in a Britax Frontier CT

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
cryswilkins
CPS Technician

cryswilkins is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!cryswilkins is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!cryswilkins is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!cryswilkins is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!cryswilkins is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!cryswilkins is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!
Re: Do you have a tech kit??

Whose motto is always be prepared?

I think that is the CPST motto, lol.

Crystal, CPST Mama to Zoe 11/30/2006 , Ollie 1/3/2010 and Baby Eli born 9/24/2012
cryswilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Starlight
CPS Technician

Starlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I'm really hoping that the duct tape is for the pool noodles and not to tape the mouths of irritating parents who don't want to listen.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
cdncasper
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightCPST View Post
I'm really hoping that the duct tape is for the pool noodles and not to tape the mouths of irritating parents who don't want to listen.
Never even thought of that

April

cdncasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Starlight
CPS Technician

Starlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org LeaderStarlight is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdncasper View Post
Never even thought of that
Old 02-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
SusanMae
CPS Technician

SusanMae is almost a CPS know-it-allSusanMae is almost a CPS know-it-allSusanMae is almost a CPS know-it-allSusanMae is almost a CPS know-it-allSusanMae is almost a CPS know-it-all

Did you think to pack some latex gloves to use for when cars are very icky?

One of the police officers in my class did that on a truck I was working with her. Now granted the truck was really groody...but what message does that send to the parent?

Susan
SusanMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
azgirl71
CPST Instructor

azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!

I have a wheeled bag with:
My training manual
LATCH manual
scale
recall lists
About 15 different fliers
check lists
business cards
stapler
measuring tape
growth charts
locking clips
1 belt shortening clip compliments of Ford
screwdriver
clear packing tape
scissors
pens
pencils
sticky notepads

I also have a rubbermaid tub with cut noodles (I cut then extra long)
azgirl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
azgirl71
CPST Instructor

azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanMae View Post
Did you think to pack some latex gloves to use for when cars are very icky?

One of the police officers in my class did that on a truck I was working with her. Now granted the truck was really groody...but what message does that send to the parent?

Susan
Good idea!! I will get DH to bring me a box home!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:21 PM   #9
Defrost
Moderator - CPST Instructor

Defrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightCPST View Post
Don't be silly! It's for taping up the cracks in carseats or to use in place of a missing splitter-plate! Also great for covering up seat belt buckles that keep getting undone by the passengers next to it.
Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!
Defrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #10
azgirl71
CPST Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
Don't be silly! It's for taping up the cracks in carseats or to use in place of a missing splitter-plate! Also great for covering up seat belt buckles that keep getting undone by the passengers next to it.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
LuvBug
formerly...

LuvBug has disabled reputation

I only do checks at the checkup right now, and they have everything we need on hand. I might eventually put together a kit once I get a feeling of what I need on hand at all times. I do have a pull noodle in my trunk and a locking clip in my glove! lol!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
cdncasper
Carseat Crazy

I totally forgot about my measuring tape and the gloves are a good idea. My trunk also has uncut pool noodles, which the girls want to steal all the time.

April

Old 02-12-2008, 10:38 PM   #13
LISmama810
Moderator - CPS Technician

LISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Besides what's been stated:

Purell
Nail file
Band-aids
Neosporin

I ALWAYS manage to mangle my hands in some way.

I also have these two plastic triangles that came in a geometry set. One has a 30-degree angle, and the other 45. I haven't used them yet, but I figure they might come in handy for eyeballing recline.
LISmama810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #14
MagnificentMama
Senior Community Member

MagnificentMama is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorMagnificentMama is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Oh God no! I wouldn't even remember to pack half of what you girls posted! Bravo to all you organized techs!

6yo|Regent
MagnificentMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:56 PM   #15
snowbird25ca

snowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

So did you guys make your kits up yourself, buy it, or have it supplied by an organization?

When I do private checks I ask parents for info before hand and have them bring anything I think may be needed such as a towel the right size. I bring a clip board with me that has forms in it and a pen, and I have a little extra stuff in the little storage area in my truck's hatch. Nothing major though.
Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2009 Astra depending on the day.

snowbird25ca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #16
wendytthomas

wendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

I don't have a scale or pool noodles. I really need some noodles, though only once have I had to use something and the parent had a towel in their car.

I have my LATCH book, forms, pens, business cards, pamphlets, my filled out forms.

I do mostly private checks, so I ask the weight of the child before we meet. I check their torso height against their current seat. Or if the child isn't present I teach the parents how to check. The only thing I wish I had was a pool noodle.

Wendy
2011 BMW 535, 2012 Mazda5

wendytthomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #17
azgirl71
CPST Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post

Purell
Nail file
Band-aids
Neosporin

I also have these two plastic triangles that came in a geometry set. One has a 30-degree angle, and the other 45. I haven't used them yet, but I figure they might come in handy for eyeballing recline.
Oh I forgot. I do have bandaids, baby wipes and hand sanitizer in my bag also.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:33 AM   #18
azgirl71
CPST Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
I don't have a scale or pool noodles. I really need some noodles, though only once have I had to use something and the parent had a towel in their car.

I have my LATCH book, forms, pens, business cards, pamphlets, my filled out forms.

I do mostly private checks, so I ask the weight of the child before we meet. I check their torso height against their current seat. Or if the child isn't present I teach the parents how to check. The only thing I wish I had was a pool noodle.

Wendy
Ihave had people tell me thier child weighed 39 lbs and when I get there it is obvous they do not. That particular child only weighed 33.5 lbs. I now always have a scale.

I bought all of my noodles at the Dollar Store. I paid $1 each. If you have any of them around you could check there for noodles.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #19
cdncasper
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post

Purell
Nail file
Band-aids
Neosporin

I have a little first aid kit also which I got from st.johns ambulance and I have a thing for angles but forgot about it, thanks for reminding me, I should find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
So did you guys make your kits up yourself, buy it, or have it supplied by an organization?

I had the kit supplied by MPI (our insurance company) which is who I mostly do checks for and who the inspection sheets go to. I do buy my own pencils and such for the kids, and update the recall list when needed. I can buy the noodles when needed but I can also get them for free but need to usually wait a few days for that.

April

Old 02-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #20
Jewels
CPS Technician

Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdncasper View Post
I had the kit supplied by MPI (our insurance company) which is who I mostly do checks for and who the inspection sheets go to. I do buy my own pencils and such for the kids, and update the recall list when needed. I can buy the noodles when needed but I can also get them for free but need to usually wait a few days for that.
So if I call MPI, will they give me a kit? I don't usually do checks with them, do to distance but I still send all my forms into them.

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!