Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum to Ask Questions. Find help on how to pick the best infant, toddler or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles!

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
vipers_princess

vipers_princess has disabled reputation
Best non-Britax Reversible For Ford Windstar?

With our upcoming trip to see my husband off to Iraq, money is super tight. So for right now, Britax seats are out of the question.

I am going to take possesion on Friday of a 2003 Windstar Sport with quad seats and full rear bench. It's latch equipped, obviously.

My 2 year old, 34 lbs and just over 3 ft tall, will be in the drivers' side captains chair.

My 6 {well 7 in late Feb} 50-55 lb depending on the scale, four foot and change tall, will be in the passenger side captains chair.

My 8 {9 in mid Feb} is 98-100 lb depending on the day/scale, will be on the passenger side of the rear bench. I'd like to put her in a high back booster since she has a tendancy to fall asleep on trips over 90 minutes long and our next big trip is from middle Indiana to Savannah, Georgia.

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
skaterbabs
Car-Seat.Org Zealot

skaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Re: Best non-Britax Reversible For Ford Windstar?

do you mean convertible?
- Denis Waitley
skaterbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
solmama
Senior Community Member

solmama is almost a CPS know-it-allsolmama is almost a CPS know-it-allsolmama is almost a CPS know-it-allsolmama is almost a CPS know-it-all

Are you looking for seats for all 3 of your kids?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
vipers_princess

I would like a booster for the 8 year old if i can find one that will handle over 100 lbs. everything I see maxes out at 100 lbs.

I would prefer a forward facing seat for the two younger girls. I had my sights set on Regents for the younger girls, but we just can't swing it and the trip to see hubby off to Iraq.
vipers_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
natysr
Senior Community Member

natysr is a Car-Seat.org Leadernatysr is a Car-Seat.org Leadernatysr is a Car-Seat.org Leadernatysr is a Car-Seat.org Leadernatysr is a Car-Seat.org Leadernatysr is a Car-Seat.org Leadernatysr is a Car-Seat.org Leadernatysr is a Car-Seat.org Leadernatysr is a Car-Seat.org Leadernatysr is a Car-Seat.org Leadernatysr is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Have you looked for the Graco Nautilus for your younger kids?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
scatterbunny
Senior Community Member

scatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

What are the younger two girls riding in currently? What is their torso height? That's pretty important in recommending good long-term harnessed options, especially for the 6yo, since, at her weight, she may be too tall already, or borderline too tall, for some harnessed seats that she still may fit by weight (my own daughter is 56 pounds and has been too tall for Britax 65 pound seats for almost 2 years; she's too tall for the Sunshine Kids Radian and Cosco Apex, as well, and probably borderline too tall for the Graco Nautilus, though by weight she should still fit those seats).

As for your 8yo, at her weight only Britax boosters will offer any weight room. All other boosters max out at 80-100 pounds, but Britax boosters have no upper weight limits.

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche
scatterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
vipers_princess

currently the 6 year old is in a graco high back and the 2 year old is in an evenflo convertible. {can't remember the name of it} Since we're driving my dad's 90 olds I have put the 8 year old in a graco backless booster because it was either that or put her in the front passenger seat, which I'm just not ready to do.

How do I measure torso height, from botto of hip bone or pelvis?

I've been flipping through other posts, and am curious if the Scenera might be a good temporary seat for the 2 year old til we get back from Georgia? It seems alot of people here use them for backup seats?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
solmama
Senior Community Member

solmama is almost a CPS know-it-allsolmama is almost a CPS know-it-allsolmama is almost a CPS know-it-allsolmama is almost a CPS know-it-all

to measure torso height: have kiddo sit on the floor against a wall, measure from floor to top of shoulders. Good luck!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
vipers_princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by solmama View Post
to measure torso height: have kiddo sit on the floor against a wall, measure from floor to top of shoulders. Good luck!
okay. I figured I was doing something wrong last night when I tried it cause I was coming up with 15 inches for the 2 year old.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
scatterbunny
Senior Community Member

scatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

My dd's torso height WAS 15 inches at about 2 years, 9 months, 38-39 inches tall and 35-36 pounds. But she was very tall and also long-torsoed at that age.

The Scenera's top slots are 14.5-15 inches tall, so probably not a great choice for the 2yo. If she were, say, 30 pounds and shorter in the torso I'd say go for it, because she could still rear-face (35 pound RF limit on the Scenera), but since she's forward-facing, 2yo and 34 pounds I'd go for a Graco Nautilus ($150). It will harness her to age 6-8, and it converts to a highback and backless booster (though it will expire when she's 8).

The Nautilus might work for the 6yo, too, since it has very tall top slots. If you want to keep her harnessed, knowing her torso height is important, since, like I said, my own 56# 6yo is too tall for many of the 65 pound weight limit seats.

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!