Handle up or down on Graco Snugride? - Info for some who might be interested..

CRS

Senior Community Member
I've been having a play around with a Graco Logico S, when I was in the States I had a play with and installed a Graco SafeSeat as well. To "feel" and to "see" both these seats look exceedingly similar and install in virtually the same way, no difference that I could notice, seatbelt wise. Except the Graco Logico S has a foot on the base which the Safeseat does not. Anyway getting on to the point of this thread lol. I remember reading the Graco Safeseat manual and that it didn't specifically say you COULDN'T put the handle in the up position when travelling in the car, but then it didn't say you COULD which confused some, one of my instructors included. Ya'll probably already know this stuff any way!

The Graco Logico S however says...

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Yeah, the SS1 manual only says "never use position B in the vehicle" which I guess implies that A, C and D are okay. Interesting that it must be up on the Logico. That's kind of the like Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP- it must be down in the US, but up in Europe (actually, angled toward the vehicle seatback).

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I called Graco about this when I had my SR and they told me it was allowed to be up and in all positions except in position B & C while in the vehicle.

Last edited:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I called Graco about this when I had my SR and they told me it was allowed to be up and in all positions except in position B while in the vehicle.

The SR can't use B and C in the car, not to confuse anyone w/ the instructions for the SS1.

Stretchy Glue

I honestly think that a warning on the handle itself would be really nice on all seats. I know that some SR said up, some said down. I always go by the picture on the handle, but still, words in writing would also be nice. Another one of those "If I ruled the world..."

ProudMomof5

I am glad I found this thread!
I have a graco snugride and I always thought the handle had to be down!! I always hated that rule, because it was really hard to put it down everytime. It would be really nice to be able to leave it up all the time.
Can someone explain the A,B,C, D positions?

crunchierthanthou

Do you still have your manual? The handle on older snugrides did have to be down. They changed it sometime in 2004. A-E are the positions (each one is where the handle clicks and locks as you move it up and down).

A is straight up, B is kind of wonky, C is in line with the top of the shell, D and E are below the top of the shell.

In snugrides that can have the handle up- A, D and E are the only acceptable positions. B and C cannot be used in the car.

The SS1 only has 4 positions, and A, C and D can be used in the vehicle. B (again, the wonky one) is the only one that cannot.

ProudMomof5

Do you still have your manual? The handle on older snugrides did have to be down. They changed it sometime in 2004.

Hmm.. no, I don't think so, but I'll have to look in my junk drawers. We bought it in 2006 though, just before my daughter was born in Oct '06.. DOM is 09/07/06.
Can you find manuals online?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
www.gracobaby.com has all the manuals (any snugride manual will do, they all show the same handle rule). The A (carry/straight upright) position has been ok since 2003 (I could search for the letter from the graco engineers I post here all the time, but I'm lazy...they are totally 'pro-up' on the handle when driving :thumbsup:).

skipspin

Okay, I'm reading this thinking, "Couldn't Graco just NOT include the B and C positions?" I mean, it's not like anyone needs the handle in that spot, and it just asks for misuse and confusion. How about "strait up", "behind seat" and "on ground"?

I guess that's my good thought for the day...

skaterbabs

Yep, they've llowed the handle to be up since the first 22 lb limit seats came out in late 2003. I was bummed because they came out right after Joy was born and our SR had to have the handle down and only went to 20 lbs. lol

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Okay, I'm reading this thinking, "Couldn't Graco just NOT include the B and C positions?" I mean, it's not like anyone needs the handle in that spot, and it just asks for misuse and confusion. How about "strait up", "behind seat" and "on ground"?

Well, could they just at least not call them 'convenience' positions? That always confuses me, what's convenient about them???

Yeah, late 2003 is when they really clarified the handle could be up.

Stretchy Glue

Do I understand correctly that it was retroactive. DD has one that she uses for her dolls (seriously) that is 2004. It is currently installed in my truck but I always put the handle down because that's what the picture on the seat shows. Can it be up? It was bought at a consignment shop because I needed one for classes and it came with no manual. It is a 20 lbs seat does that make a difference?

vonfirmath

We use the B position ALL the time for getting the baby out of the seat. don't take our B position away! (hit head hits the handle when taking him out with it in A). I don't know what C is good for. D props the seat up when we leave him in just the seat on the ground (But we just don't do that very often)

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
I had many go rounds w/ a more senior tech on the Graco handle issue in 2004.

She didn't read ANY car seat boards or extra information and told me that I should NEVER tell a parent that they could use the seat w/ the handle up. I explained to her the vagueness in the manual and even printed out the info from the Graco rep from the CPS List on Yahoo. I also shared how I explain what the manual says to the parent, share that it was previously not allowed on Graco seats and that many seats have different instructions... leaving it up to the parent to decide.

She apparently contacted her own Graco person who told her that they have "never" condoned using the handle up and "I" was wrong. She reiterated to me that I was not to say this to parents... especially at the check station she was running, and I was assisting at!

There were other issues at play here as well, but just so everyone knows not all techs are as "up" on Graco's American manuals

Grrr..it still gets me riled how closed minded she was about the whole thing! She also thought I was nuts to not have my then 3.5yo in a booster, but that's another thread!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Do I understand correctly that it was retroactive. DD has one that she uses for her dolls (seriously) that is 2004. It is currently installed in my truck but I always put the handle down because that's what the picture on the seat shows. Can it be up? It was bought at a consignment shop because I needed one for classes and it came with no manual. It is a 20 lbs seat does that make a difference?
I'm almost positive it wasn't connected to the increase in weight limit...if anything, the changeover would have been when the adjustable base came out. But by 2004 handle up is definitely ok. (I just checked that letter from the graco engineers...it had been some months allowed up already, and the letter was in 10/2003)

:)

Stretchy Glue

I'm almost positive it wasn't connected to the increase in weight limit...if anything, the changeover would have been when the adjustable base came out. But by 2004 handle up is definitely ok. (I just checked that letter from the graco engineers...it had been some months allowed up already, and the letter was in 10/2003)

:)

Thanks. I have the adjustable base installed in my car:eek:. My dd is crazy but I guarantee she buckles her dolls in better than most parents buckle their real baby in!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC