Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice > Child Safety Seat Installation, Compatibility and Technical Questions

Notices

Child Safety Seat Installation, Compatibility and Technical Questions Discuss Proper Use of Infant, Convertible, Combination and Booster Seats, Automobile Compatibility, Three Across and Install Problems.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #21
NatenMaddiesMommy
CPS Technician

NatenMaddiesMommy is a novice Car-Seat.Org journalist
Re: Successful Three Across thread

Make/Model/Year: Toyota Sienna 04
Install method: Seatbelts - all lap/shoulder belts
Configuration of seats: Outboard rear-facing, middle forward facing
Seats used: 2MA (center and outboard), 1DC (outboard)
Checked by a Tech: Yes

see thread with pics here

Unfortunately I tried this with 2MAs and 1BV (DC replaced with BV by Britax) and I could not get a good fit. It must be due to them all having the LATCH bars. The DC doesn't have LATCH bars which is why I was able to get the 3 of them to fit nice and snug. I think the absence of the LATCH bars just gave a smidgen of extra room. Amazing how that one difference made such a HUGE difference.
Nathan 9yo, 58#, FF Frontier
NatenMaddiesMommy is offline   Reply With Quote

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #22
safeinthecar
Moderator - CPS Technician

safeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

I would monopolize the thread if I tried to list ALL the 3 acrosses I've done in the past 10 years, LOL.

So I'll just post what I've learned doing 3 across.

1. don't assume.

A big car seat may fit in a 3 across in a small car. Even in a space where a smaller seat did not fit.

A combination of seats that seems impossible may work if you change what goes where. Or what child uses which seat.

Driver and passenger outboard positions are not necessarily identical.

2. Don't be afraid to try something someone else found impossible.

3. Don't measure. The numbers NEVER add up to enough space, but that doesn't mean squat.

4. You may end up with a car seat brand you said you would never buy. (I may have to buy another d@mn Radian in the near future)

5. Don't attempt a 3 across when you are really hungry/tired/annoyed with the world. You'll end up throwing something expensive down on the driveway in disgust.

6. Do keep your sense of humor when the cop stops to ask you what you are doing in your bathrobe throwing stuff around in the driveway at 2 AM.

7.Remember that new seats are almost always cheaper than new cars. Practice saying this in the mirror before breaking the news to your SO.

8. Find a car seat buddy to play 3 across with. ( JULIE!!) Make sure to have lots of ice cream and root beer on-hand to see you through it.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #23
Stretchy Glue
CPS Technician

Stretchy Glue is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Stretchy Glue is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Stretchy Glue is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Stretchy Glue is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Stretchy Glue is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Stretchy Glue is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
I would monopolize the thread if I tried to list ALL the 3 acrosses I've done in the past 10 years, LOL.

So I'll just post what I've learned doing 3 across.

1. don't assume.

A big car seat may fit in a 3 across in a small car. Even in a space where a smaller seat did not fit.

A combination of seats that seems impossible may work if you change what goes where. Or what child uses which seat.

Driver and passenger outboard positions are not necessarily identical.

2. Don't be afraid to try something someone else found impossible.

3. Don't measure. The numbers NEVER add up to enough space, but that doesn't mean squat.

4. You may end up with a car seat brand you said you would never buy. (I may have to buy another d@mn Radian in the near future)

5. Don't attempt a 3 across when you are really hungry/tired/annoyed with the world. You'll end up throwing something expensive down on the driveway in disgust.

6. Do keep your sense of humor when the cop stops to ask you what you are doing in your bathrobe throwing stuff around in the driveway at 2 AM.

7.Remember that new seats are almost always cheaper than new cars. Practice saying this in the mirror before breaking the news to your SO.

8. Find a car seat buddy to play 3 across with. ( JULIE!!) Make sure to have lots of ice cream and root beer on-hand to see you through it.

Julie, may I use this at my meeting next week? It's wonderful and SO TRUE!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #24
An Aurora
CPS Technician

An Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org Leader

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
RF MA/Combi Tyro infant seat/FF Scenera
All with belts
Checked by a tech

1998 Ford Taurus
RF MA/RF Scenera/RF Scenera
RF Scenera/FF Scenera/RF Combi Tyro Infant seat

2001 Chevy Venture, 3 bucket seats in middle row
RF MA (LATCH), RF or FF Scenera (ALR lap belt), RF or FF Radian (l/s belt)
RF MA (LATCH), RF or FF Triumph (ALR lap belt), RF or FF Radian (l/s belt)
RF MA (LATCH), RF Combi Tyro infant seat, RF or FF Radian or Triumph (l/s belt)
*Radian installs RF in the center seat but is incompatible FF with the ALR lap belt.
Checked by a tech.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #25
Stretchy Glue
CPS Technician

Stretchy Glue is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Stretchy Glue is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Stretchy Glue is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Stretchy Glue is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Stretchy Glue is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Stretchy Glue is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

You are a tech Anna But you're right, that doesn't work.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #26
Judi
CPST/Firefighter

Judi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

98 Dodge Ram 2500

Husky short belt path
RF radian lap belt
Husky short belt path
Old 01-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #27
abacus2
CPS Fanatic

abacus2 is almost a CPS know-it-allabacus2 is almost a CPS know-it-allabacus2 is almost a CPS know-it-allabacus2 is almost a CPS know-it-all

My three across scenerios, obviously all with belts:

1997 Intrepid:
Every combination that I tried (I can't even remember them all), RFing or FFing, of Decathlon, FPSVD, Snugride, older Triumph, or Touriva. Locking clips (or the lock-offs) were required to keep my belts tight, even with the flip the latchplate trick, for all of the installs I tried. The Snugride is a little tricky to get into its base when installed passenger side next to a FFing Decathlon.

The Graco Nautilus, while it shockingly has a belt path that holds the belt at the correct angle so the locking mechanism actually works, will definitely NOT fit outboard next to a RFing Decathlon/FPSVD, that arrangement doesn't even come close to working.

1998 2 door Chevy Cavalier
I've never actually put 3 across in this car, but I was able to install a RFing Touriva passenger outboard with a FFing FPSVD center. There was room for another narrow seat like the Touriva or a narrow booster driver's side outboard.
abacus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #28
andbabiesmake4
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

andbabiesmake4 is a novice Car-Seat.Org journalist

2007 Ford F150
FF MA, FF/RF MA, FF MA
FF MA, FF radian, FF/RF MA

Basically any way I work it I can get 3 across easily outboard ones with latch & center with seatbelt.
andbabiesmake4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #29
skipspin

skipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leader

07 Jeep JK, 4 door Wrangler

Not too hard. All use center seatbelt, most outboard installations use LATCH.

RFing Britax/FFing Britax, FFing RN, RFing Britax/Combi Conection/Parkway/Evenflo Chase
(The FFing RN with seatbelt is not for the faint of heart!)

Really, most anything would fit three across, although you'd have to be creative with a Regent :-)

9 yr old in a pink zebra NBB and 5-stepping
6 yr DS1 old in a Harmony
4 yr old DS2 in a Nautilus and Radian
18 mo DS3 rfing in a MyRide65
skipspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #30
safeinthecar

safeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretchy Glue View Post
Julie, may I use this at my meeting next week? It's wonderful and SO TRUE!

It was me (safeinthecar) that posted this, not Julie. Julie used to be my car seat buddy before we both moved out of the Bay Area.

But you are welcome to use it if you like.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #31
Stretchy Glue
CPS Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
It was me (safeinthecar) that posted this, not Julie. Julie used to be my car seat buddy before we both moved out of the Bay Area.

But you are welcome to use it if you like.
I remember seeing Kimberly when I wrote that. Sorry. Thanks for letting use it. We'll all have a good laugh.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:34 PM   #32
Momto3Divaz
Carseat Crazy

Momto3Divaz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
Make/Model/Year: Honda Accord '96
Install method: Seatbelts and top tether, outboard seats are lap/shoulder with lapbelt in the middle
Configuration of seats: all Forward-facing (FF)
Seats used: MA, Radian, MA

Make/Model/Year: Rendezvous '06
Install method: outboard FF - LATCH with tether, middle FF - lapbelt with tether, Outboard RF LATCH
Configuration of seats: FF, FF, RF
Seats used: MA, Radian, snugride

Will add a picture later.
I wonder how much different the backseat of an Accord is compared to the backseat of a Focus...
Old 01-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #33
NZ Child Restraints
CPS Fanatic

NZ Child Restraints has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggercat View Post

Would it not work better having MA/Radian/Parkway, then the buckle is on for the parkway is between that and the radian, and it is low enough down? Just a thought.
NZ Child Restraints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:50 PM   #34
mommy_quigg
Carseat Crazy

mommy_quigg has disabled reputation

If she doesn't have LATCH in the centre, then the RN is a PITB to install FF with the seatbelt. That may be why it's outboard.
mommy_quigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #35
mommy_quigg
Carseat Crazy

mommy_quigg has disabled reputation

I got 3 across in a 2001 Pontiac Aztek.
Evenflo embrace, LATCH, Passenger side outboard
Sunshine Kids Radian, lap belt, centre, FF
Cosco Alpha Omega Elite, LATCH, RF or FF, Driver's side outboard.
Not checked by a tech (except online with pictures )

Note: in the pictures, both RF seats are braced against the front seats, which they shouldn't be. They need 1" clearance. I don't have the heart to redo this in the middle of winter so it will be warm weather before I can retake the pictures.

mommy_quigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #36
tiggercat
CPS Technician

tiggercat is a Car-Seat.org Leadertiggercat is a Car-Seat.org Leadertiggercat is a Car-Seat.org Leadertiggercat is a Car-Seat.org Leadertiggercat is a Car-Seat.org Leadertiggercat is a Car-Seat.org Leadertiggercat is a Car-Seat.org Leadertiggercat is a Car-Seat.org Leadertiggercat is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Child Restraints View Post
Would it not work better having MA/Radian/Parkway, then the buckle is on for the parkway is between that and the radian, and it is low enough down? Just a thought.
It probably would work better in the manner you described. I actually just tried it out for fun sice I had purchased a Radian for our other car (incompatible, btw). I don't have my hands a RN at present to try it out. I think when the baby comes I might try a RN FF in the middle for my then 3 yr old, and a snugride outboard for the baby. I will miss my MA though, it's my fave seat ever.

tiggercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #37
Jewels
CPS Technician

Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_quigg View Post
If she doesn't have LATCH in the centre, then the RN is a PITB to install FF with the seatbelt. That may be why it's outboard.
Once you figure out the tricks it really isnt' all that hard. I have installed the Radian FF with a seatbelt several times and don't have problems with it.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #38
Amaris
Senior Community Member

Amaris is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorAmaris is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

3 across in a 2000 Chevrolet Impala
Passenger outboard: Graco ss1
Middle: Britax Regent
Driver outboard: Britax Marathon FF
All installed with seatbelt (doesn't have latch), Regent and Marathon tethered
Not checked by a tech but all very solid independently of each other

Will try soon with the ss1, graco airbooster, and regent. Also will try a marathon, regent, and airbooster.

Amaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #39
CrabbyBunchX3
Senior Community Member

CrabbyBunchX3 is a Car-Seat.org recognized contributor

YEAR/MAKE/MODEL: 2005 Pontiac wide track grand prix
SEATS: Driver's side outboard-FF safety1st intera(base removed)
Center-Graco safeseat1 with base
Passenger side outborad- FF Cosco scenera
TYPE OF INSTALL: All seats installed with vehicle belt. FF outboard seats locked via the retractor and Safeseat1(center position) locked using built in lock-off

*Was able to get better fits for all 3 seats using vehicle belt vs latch.

*Not checked by a tech, but all are installed independent of each other.

will update later with picture.
DD2 [2007] 40.7lbs, FF Graco Nautilus
Wishing someone would pass the water
CrabbyBunchX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:47 PM   #40
Gypsy
Senior Community Member

Gypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org Leader

2006 Kia Sedona, rear bench.

Graco Nautilus, Britax Decathlon, Sunshine Kids Radian 80.

Tags
3 across

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!