Swing with AC adapter

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am trying to find infant swings that have the option of using AC power instead of batteries.

Do any of you know if Graco makes any? I couldn't find any on their website, but I also didn't search every single swing on their website.

I know Fisher-Price makes some.
L1958_d_1.jpg

J8518_d_1.jpg

K7924_d_1.jpg

Are there any other brands that you know make AC-powered (or option for AC power) swings?

I know I want a swing. Please don't jump all over me, telling me that swings are bad and that the baby should be held all the time. Don't worry, this won't be a constantly used piece of equipment.

Thanks! :D

ADS

SillyLily

I had the first swing in your picture (except with a different pattern). I was very happy with it. It worked very well, had a lot of different settings, etc... And it had a smaller "footprint" than a lot of swings, which was great in our small house.

I had an ocean wonders cradle swing also (but not the ac adapter one) and loved it. I also had a baby papasan chair and loved that. So the idea of a papasan cradle swing with an AC adaper is actually perfect. If I were you, I would go with the swing pictured third. I don't know how small your baby is, but the papasan is very snuggly and comfy for the little tiny babies.

I don't know of any other swings/brands with ac adapters, though. As of about a year ago (which is when I last checked) there weren't a whole lot on the market.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would've gone completely BATTY without the swing for my first--and I'm so old that it was a WIND UP one! Can you imagine? FP does make a plug-in swing called the "Fisher-Price Power-Plus Plug-In Swing" if you want to look around for it. The only issue with both the battery and plug-in models is that it's so easy for parents to just leave their children in them for extended periods of time...but you already have an awareness that this is an issue, which is good.

-Nicole.

Last edited:

lovinwaves

Patriot, are you wanting a swing with AC so you will save money on batteries?

Just asking, because we only changed our batteries once on our Graco Swing between two kids 16mths apart. I was shocked. We didn't use it *that* much, and I'm sure you would use it less than we did. I had always said I wanted one with an AC adaptor, but we received ours as a gift, so batteries it was. If I had to do it again, I would go with batteries :)

Oh, and one less cord dangling, and one less outlet that wasn't kid proof. With a cordless the outlet stays protected, but with a cord my oldest would probably try and pull it out. I'm sure her little brain was thinking... "hmm...let's see where this cord goes to" :rolleyes:

mominabigtruck

I am defintely getting a power plus one for our next baby. Dallas absolutely loved his swing and we changed the batteries in his about once every two weeks, once a week when he got heavier. Peyton didn't like the swing all that much, but I was still changing the batteries alot because his had music and lights and used even more battery power because of it.

I'm pretty sure fisher price is the only company that makes them though. I saw the top pattern I believe at walmart on clearance a couple of weeks ago so I would check there. I really want the pretty bottom one in pink though;)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Patriot, are you wanting a swing with AC so you will save money on batteries?

Yeah, I have had to change my batteries in my current swing about once a month and it only gets used occasionally. I take the batteries out when the swing is in "storage," but I still go through batteries QUICKLY (it may have something to do with the fact that the 23-month-old turns it on for her "babies."). :)

I am now looking for an AC-powered one for a gift.

Thanks for your help! :D

lovinwaves

Yeah, I have had to change my batteries in my current swing about once a month and it only gets used occasionally. I take the batteries out when the swing is in "storage," but I still go through batteries QUICKLY (it may have something to do with the fact that the 23-month-old turns it on for her "babies."). :)

I am now looking for an AC-powered one for a gift.

Thanks for your help! :D

Hmm..maybe we didn't use ours as much as I thought. I guess that's a good thing. I always thought my kids loved the swing..perhaps not LOL!

Have fun shopping!! It's not for yourself is it :whistle: :p

southpawboston

we had a graco electric swing that took 4 "D" batteries, and it started getting costly. since i always save old AC adapters from discarded/broken electronic gadgets (see this thread, starting at post #6), i just took one that outputs 6V DC (4 D batteries = 6V DC :)) and soldered the wires onto the battery posts. :D AC when i want, battery power when i want.

SillyLily

we had a graco electric swing that took 4 "D" batteries, and it started getting costly. since i always save old AC adapters from discarded/broken electronic gadgets (see this thread, starting at post #6), i just took one that outputs 6V DC (4 D batteries = 6V DC :)) and soldered the wires onto the battery posts. :D AC when i want, battery power when i want.

When my older daughter was still a little baby, I was seriously considering doing this. She was a super good baby, but she would only sleep if she was in her aquarium cradle swing. She hated it when anybody tried to hold her when she was tired, refused to breastfeed, and she hated sleeping anywhere flat because she had major reflux problems. She still hates snuggling for more than 5 minutes or sleeping in the same bed as anyone else. The swing was a serious lifesaver. We went through 4 D batteries every week. It got very, very expensive!! That's the reason I bought a swing with an AC adapter for our second daughter. I never had to buy batteries! Just as a side note, my second never cared much for the swing. She prefered to snuggle or breastfeed when she needed comfort. Complete opposite as my first!

I've sold all of the swings, but if I ever have a third I will only buy a swing with the ability to be plugged in.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The sweetpeace is cool. You can take the seat off and move it feet out, head out, whatever. Graco infant seats will also fit on it. The only thing that bugs me is how it works on speed 1. It isn't smooth.

Wineaux

Ian just despised his swing. Hated it beyond all reason. On the other hand, he loved his bouncer seat with the vibrate. That bouncer was a freaking God send!

skipspin

Ahem, my DH did that to my small travel swing too. I was babysitting for a friend and using DD's old swing and DD would turn on the lights/sound/swing and it just ate the batteries up.

It seemed when DD was really little when I used it more the batteries lasted a long time, but when I used it for this 5 month old they didn't last long at all. DD sat unassisted at 4 months, so I didn't really use the swing after that.

Ds never really liked the swing. He liked the bouncer that was like a rocking chair or the sling. So, the swing is *still* in the attic just in case #3 likes it.

southpawboston

Can you describe the configureartion for me? Please?:)

well, you cut off the plug off the end of the AC adapter (the end that plugs into some electronic gadget) and strip the two wires. you need a voltmeter to determine the voltage polarity. then you find the two wires that are soldered onto the battery cage of the swing. you can usually find them by peering around. then solder the positive wire from the AC adapter to the where the positive wire is already soldered onto the battery cage (should be on an end where the battery's "top", or positive side, would be in the cage). then solder the negative wire to where the negative wire on the battery cage is soldered (usually on the other end or somewhere where the battery "bottom" is in the cage).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC