Exactly what is 'mature enough for booster'

littleangelfire

OK. I'm going to confess of all the months I've been here I still don't know what this one is. I want kids harnessed as long as possible (I'll be lucky to keep my BIG son harnessed to 5 in the Regent.), though I must admit that I don't know what we mean we say most 4 year olds aren't mature enough to sit properly. They wiggle. I know. It would make me nervous. But there must be more to it. Is there like a 5 step test (like the seatbelt test) for whether a child is seated properly in a booster? I know the seatbelt must go across shoulder & lap and not neck & belly, but what else?

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The brain synapses that govern impulse control do not fully develop until age 5 - 6 years old. This is what is meant by mature enough... a child needs to have that impulse control in order to stay correctly positioned for the entire trip.

If they can't do this, then they are not restrained correctly. Occasionally a 4 year old will be mature enough (have that impulse control) to sit correctly for the entire trip, but more often than not it's the 5 - 6 year old range.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Sitting correctly means that

the lap belt is nice and low across their hips/thighs.

the shoulder belt is crossing the center of their chest/shoulder.

they are not leaning out of this position to talk to their neighbour, pick up a toy, twisting around to see what just passed by outside the window... you get the picture. ;)

It also means they can stay awake... most kids that fall asleep will slump out of position and will no longer be correctly restrained.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
:yeahthat:

This is why kids that age can be so frustrating - because they really do understand rules and such, and they typically have the language skills to assure us that they DO understand... and then they seem to completely ignore us!

This is what's going on if you ever see a small child chanting something like "No hitting - use your words!" while smacking their little brother. They have the functioning to know what they're supposed to do, but the "impulse control" isn't there.

Have you ever seen one of those programs (I think it was Oprah I first saw it on) where they tested how well the "Stranger Danger" training worked on very young children? And how all the parents were just absolutely sure their child would never ever go somewhere with a stranger because they could mimic the "Never talk to strangers" rules so well? And then every single kid completely and totally failed, and willingly walked away with the total stranger!

That's another perfect example of why younger kids aren't mature enough to be in a booster. They can understand and truly want to follow the rules and sit still and not unbuckle themselves - but their brains simply haven't developed enough to support those intentions.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Someone said the five step test works well for getting INTO boosters as well. If they can sit properly, the belt fits well, their legs bend, their butt is back, and they'll stay like that the whole time. If they can do all of that in a booster they're probably ready. Those of them that are biggies for the younger crowd are the "stay for the entire time" and "sit properly." They cannot move in a harness. Even a locked belt they can get out of. Piper pulled her arm out recently to demonstrate to our neighbor what not to do. So when they can sit an entire ride, including trips, then I'd consider them ready for a booster. Piper is a mature and safety conscious kid and I wouldn't put her in one for longer than 40 minutes tops.

Wendy

Gosh - I'd seriously be stuck then! My 3 year old son was 40lbs before his 3rd birthday.

Yep. Some chn i've worked with in the past have been over 40lb before they are 3 also. And sadly the parent had to put them in a booster. I drool over the US seats harnessing to 65lb. That is why I got the MA, now i need the nautilus or radian to keep my niece harnessed (she will be 5 this year)

scatterbunny

H has used a booster part-time since not quite 4, about 43-44 inches tall and 42-44 pounds (she hit 40 pounds shortly after turning 3). At first it was VERY part-time, only a few minutes at a time in her dad's truck (she used a Husky in my vehicle), a few blocks up the street to the store and back home again. Shortly after she turned 4 I got a new (to me) vehicle that was incompatible with the Husky, so we made the plunge, since she was so big, to the Parkway. Sleeping was absolutely fine in the Parkway, no head slumping whatsoever, even without locking shoulderbelts, but she was definitely not ready to use a booster for longer trips. She would forget to sit straight, she would lean way out of her booster to look out the rear window, she would lean way out to the side or down in front of her to reach something. :( I always had to remind her to sit back. Thankfully Julie and some other wonderful folks helped me out, and I acquired a Fisher Price Futura (discontinued, harnessed to 60 pounds) and a Britax Laptop (discontinued, foam restraint to 65 pounds) so we could relegate the Parkway to spare seat status. She fit the Futura for a year and a half, and I was ecstatic! :p During that time she gradually used her Parkway for longer and longer trips, and I could see her impulse control was getting better. Her buckling skills got better, too. She used to have tantrums when she couldn't get the seatbelt buckled quickly and easily without twisting the belt, I think because buckling her harness was so easy for her. When she was on the verge of outgrowing the Futura I acquired Darren's Husky (because I bought a new vehicle and it was compatible, woohoo!) and that became her primary seat again for awhile. A few months ago I decided to let her use her booster on a long trip and she did beautifully. :) She's used the boosters ever since, and I've only had to ask her to sit back one or two times. She's doing really great.

So I concur with the others, some kids can handle boosters at age 4, but I would say that most cannot handle it full-time until more like age 5-6. H has some behavior/hyperactivity/impulse control issues anyway, so I fully expected to need to keep her harnessed until age 7-8, when she presumably would have outgrown the Husky, but with all the CPS education she gets from me :p and all the practice runs in the booster in her dad's truck, it all finally clicked for her and she handles it very well now.

In addition to the maturity issue, though, there's the study that said kids under age 5 have higher rates of head injury if they are riding in boosters than kids over age 5 (presumably because younger kids have heavier/larger heads in proportion to their bodies, so they fly forward farther or with greater force, thus incurring greater injury if/when they come in contact with vehicle interior or intrusion?).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
In addition to the maturity issue, though, there's the study that said kids under age 5 have higher rates of head injury if they are riding in boosters than kids over age 5 (presumably because younger kids have heavier/larger heads in proportion to their bodies, so they fly forward farther or with greater force, thus incurring greater injury if/when they come in contact with vehicle interior or intrusion?).

Yeah, I wish we knew exactly what the mechanism of head injury is for kids under five, but over 5 the incidence of head injuries really drops.... (my 10 and 8 yo's need to be harnessed when they sit next to each other...they drive me crazy leaning over to play or fight :p...I have to constantly remind them to sit up in their boosters... )

melniemi

(my 10 and 8 yo's need to be harnessed when they sit next to each other...they drive me crazy leaning over to play or fight :p...I have to constantly remind them to sit up in their boosters... )
My 6 & 7 yo are the same way. They drive me crazy. The only time I don't need to remind them to sit straight is when only 1 of them is with me. Which is why I just bought a husky and why I am looking for a way to get another hwh seat. If they get mad at each other, they turn their backs to each other. Nice, huh? Not staying in position very well. And dh doesn't know I bought the husky:whistle: And he won't be too happy, but I'd rather spend a little money on a seat than bury my kid or deal with a wheel chair for the rest of his life. They really did better when I first switched them to boosters at age 5, I think because they were so used to sitting straight and staying back from the harness. As they sat in a booster longer, they found the freedom and now use it too freely. Locking the belt helps, but doesn't prevent all movement.

singingpond

The brain synapses that govern impulse control do not fully develop until age 5 - 6 years old. This is what is meant by mature enough... a child needs to have that impulse control in order to stay correctly positioned for the entire trip.

This made me laugh for some reason :). So, my 6 y.o. must have those fully developed brain synapses; he just chooses not to use them at times, LOL. He actually does pretty well in a booster, and has for some time (started riding part-time in a booster at age 4 1/2). However, sometimes when he's running around the house with his little brother in the evening, those brain synapses must be seriously on vacation :D.

Good explanation, by the way -- didn't mean to criticize anything you said, it just tickled my funnybone w.r.to my own child...

Katrin

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
This made me laugh for some reason :). So, my 6 y.o. must have those fully developed brain synapses; he just chooses not to use them at times, LOL. He actually does pretty well in a booster, and has for some time (started riding part-time in a booster at age 4 1/2). However, sometimes when he's running around the house with his little brother in the evening, those brain synapses must be seriously on vacation :D.

Good explanation, by the way -- didn't mean to criticize anything you said, it just tickled my funnybone w.r.to my own child...

Katrin

I think it's the brother part that causes the brain synapses to disappear... :whistle: :D

(I'm sure I'll be in the same boat next year. ;))

Momof4Girls

My 5 y/o at one point was in a booster full-time. We simply did not have the ability to put 3 harnessed seats across, w/o buying 3 new seats (and the Radian wasn't even out yet!), and my dh was in grad school. So, we bought our parkway. My dd, even now at 5, will still fall asleep in the booster, and the side wings on the PW (and/or Monarch) support her head and she is still in position.

My 5 y/o and 3 y/o "check" each other on seats/seatbelts/etc. Even when dd2 was in a booster (yes, at 3.5! dh demanded to put her in the Monarch, rather than buying another harness seat!), she slept in the car, and she had great support in the Monarch. I have to say, that, for small boostered kids, I think the MOnarch is a great seat, LOL. Like others have said, it's more cacooning, more like a harness seat.

Anyway, moot point, as we're getting a Regent in Feb sale, and all 4 girls are in harness seats full-time now (retiring an '02 RA when we get the new Regent), and the boosters are for grandparents' cars.

Raechel

musicmaj

DD is 7 and has been riding in booster since she was almost five and hit 40lbs. She does wonderfully in a booster. She does fall asleep on long car trips, but we always lock the belt and she does not fall out of position. I did not know anything about HWH seats when she was that age. She was mature enough for a booster though.
DS is almost 6 and hyperactive as well as special needs. He can handle a booster for about 15 minutes with a locked belt. I think he would do fine in a booster such as the vivo or monterey with a locked belt though. (locked belt is key for him) He doesn't play with the seatbelt at all. He tries to lean to the side and he couldn't do that with a side impact protection booster. Right now he sits in a radian 95% of the time and will continue to do so until it is outgrown. I have become very good at installing it in either of our two vehicles quickly and rock solid. I move it frequently for him so that I can keep him out of the booster as much as possible. Wish I could afford another HWH seat for him.

My 2 year old will be in a harness for a long time. He is small and light. He is very active. I don't think he will be mature or big enough for a booster until he is at least 6. I bet he will fit in the radian until it expires when he is 7.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Sitting correctly means that

the lap belt is nice and low across their hips/thighs.

the shoulder belt is crossing the center of their chest/shoulder.

they are not leaning out of this position to talk to their neighbour, pick up a toy, twisting around to see what just passed by outside the window... you get the picture. ;)

It also means they can stay awake... most kids that fall asleep will slump out of position and will no longer be correctly restrained.

And it drives me crazy to see adults not sitting properly in their seat either. Feet on the dashboard, recline so much that there is at least a foot or two between the seatbelt and his/her body (well exagerrate a bit here, but you get the picture ;))

Does that make 'immature' adults? LOL

scatterbunny

my 10 and 8 yo's need to be harnessed when they sit next to each other...they drive me crazy leaning over to play or fight :p...I have to constantly remind them to sit up in their boosters...

My 6 & 7 yo are the same way. They drive me crazy.

Yes, I have a feeling if H had a sibling she wouldn't be so great about sitting properly. The few times we have had a friend riding with us I have had to remind H (and her friend) to sit back and quit leaning toward each other. :rolleyes:

littleangelfire

Hey, that's some good info for me to be able to pass along - thanks for sharing, I didn't know.
Amy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC