Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice > Child Safety Seat Installation, Compatibility and Technical Questions

Notices

Child Safety Seat Installation, Compatibility and Technical Questions Discuss Proper Use of Infant, Convertible, Combination and Booster Seats, Automobile Compatibility, Three Across and Install Problems.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
Defrost
Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus

Defrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org Expert
Adjusting Radian Recline (pic-heavy)

I played with carseats today.

Here's what I've learned about getting a Radian more upright. Pulling it away from the seat-bight does help, it's just not as obvious or easy as it is with other carseats.

In a '97 Chevy Astro with fairly cushy seats, I was able to get it pretty upright both center and outboard (not that it matters much in this vehicle as it's got a lot of room anyway!):

The standard recline:

More upright:

The standard recline (foot is on seatbelt cover, deep in bight):

More upright recline (foot is under seatbelt cover, further away from bight):

With the standard recline I can barely squeeze my hand between the front of the foot and the vehicle seat:

With the upright angle, I've got plenty of room for my hand:

My position when installing for more upright:

Oh look! My friend just pulled up in his gigantic Dodge dually pick-up with the super cab or whatever Dodge calls it! I bet those seats aren't cushy at all. As the confirmed bachelor yells "Hey, get that thing out of my WORK TRUCK!" ...

Standard recline (driver's seat had to moved forward):

More upright (driver's seat in it's usual position):

And just to get everything in the same place, here's previously posted pics of when I played with the recline in my Mazda 5:

Standard recline:

More upright:

It's definitely easier with cushy seats! And I suspect that reclining the vehicle seat (if possible) would help considerably as well, but by the time I got done playing in the truck today, I was too tired to try it in the Mazda 5's reclining seats.

Anyway, I hope someone finds this helpful.
Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:18 AM   #2
Gypsy
Senior Community Member

Gypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Re: Adjusting Radian Recline (pic-heavy)

Nope. Not helpful.

::::mumblingitwouldhavebeenmorehelpfulifmybffwould haveinvitedmeovertoplaywithcarseatsmumble::::
Old 01-07-2008, 01:21 AM   #3
Defrost

Defrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

You're just jealous that I played without you.

ROTFL - I posted right before you added the mumble!!!

Here you go. *passes brain back*
Defrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
Gypsy
Senior Community Member

Gypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Yes. Yes I am.

::::grumbleIonlyliveafewminutesaway&couldhavebeent hereinnotimesittinghomeboredalldayonasundaywithwel lbehavingkidsjustwatchingmoviesandrelaxingwouldhav ebeenmorefuntoplaywithcarseatswithmybffgrumble::::
Old 01-07-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
Defrost

Aww! Well now I have to buy a Nautilus to make it up to you!

(I've still got to try the Radian RF with the seat reclined... and we could always add pics of it in the Sedona...)
Old 01-07-2008, 01:25 AM   #6
Gypsy
Senior Community Member

Yes, yes, that would make me feel better
Old 01-07-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
wendytthomas
Moderator - CPST Instructor

wendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

SMOOCH! It makes a lot of sense, just seems nearly impossible with that foot. But you're right, there it is. How very very awesome.

Hmmm, upright Radian and Radians in VW Golfs. Soon that seat will fit everywhere! Once Russ then gets the whole installation thing worked out it'll be perfect. hehe

Wendy
in a 2011 BMW 535i, and my 2012 Mazda5

wendytthomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:58 AM   #8
lovinwaves
CPS Advocate

lovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leader

So uh, Defrost...Wanna come over and do this in my Ody? Me can not get me a good upright install
And a new baby on the way
lovinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:13 AM   #9
Defrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinwaves View Post
So uh, Defrost...Wanna come over and do this in my Ody? Me can not get me a good upright install
Are you offering to pay me for a vacation?

I don't know anyone with an Ody or I'd ask to give it a try and take pics for you!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
lovinwaves
CPS Advocate

lovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leaderlovinwaves is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
Are you offering to pay me for a vacation?

I don't know anyone with an Ody or I'd ask to give it a try and take pics for you!
hehe, wouldn't be a vaca where I live though..sorry. lol!

Well, my problem is that my seats are so compressed(at least this is what I am thinking my problem is), that even if I pull the base away from the seatbite I can't get an upright install.

Aidensmom has installed one in a NEW ody and got a great upright install. So I dunno I mean I *am* capable of doing this (I have done it in other cars), but the Ody is giving me a fit LOL!
Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 AM   #11
Defrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinwaves View Post
Aidensmom has installed one in a NEW ody and got a great upright install. So I dunno I mean I *am* capable of doing this (I have done it in other cars), but the Ody is giving me a fit LOL!
That stinks! The only thing I can think to add is that when I'm trying to get it in upright, I'm completely ignoring the back of the seat. It's like I'm trying to install the foot all by itself, and I want to get the foot on its tippie-toes! Getting in behind the seat really helps, because then I can use my hips to really tilt the foot into the vehicle seat.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #12
lovinwaves
CPS Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
That stinks! The only thing I can think to add is that when I'm trying to get it in upright, I'm completely ignoring the back of the seat. It's like I'm trying to install the foot all by itself, and I want to get the foot on its tippie-toes! Getting in behind the seat really helps, because then I can use my hips to really tilt the foot into the vehicle seat.
Ok, I will try that!... Thanks for the tip. For the time being we put the Marathon back in there. My knees were eating the dash
Old 02-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
TechnoGranola
Forum Ambassador

TechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org Leader

That is great, now why don't they make that darn foot have more than one position for installation so this isn't such a pain??

Now, I wonder, if SKJP is expecting it to be installed a certain way (as per their foot design), would installing it contrary to that affect the seat in an accident?
TechnoGranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #14
CDNTech
CPS Technician

CDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogranola View Post
That is great, now why don't they make that darn foot have more than one position for installation so this isn't such a pain??

Now, I wonder, if SKJP is expecting it to be installed a certain way (as per their foot design), would installing it contrary to that affect the seat in an accident?
The foot is only meant to help parents achieve a 45 degree angle. They want to make sure young babies/newborns have the 45 degree angle to keep their airways open. Any angle between 30 - 45 degrees is fine, the foot just makes it slightly more difficult to achieve.

DS3 /12, Peg PVC... working towards finalizing
CDNTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #15
arly1983
Senior Community Member

arly1983 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderarly1983 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderarly1983 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderarly1983 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderarly1983 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderarly1983 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderarly1983 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderarly1983 is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I will have to try this. I can already get it pretty upright but with this I might be about to get it RFing in the 3rd row....how cool would that be?
arly1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #16
LuvBug
formerly...

LuvBug has disabled reputation

nice this is similar in method to installing the britax seats for upright as well. :hinthint if you wanted to take more pics :
Old 02-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #17
azgirl71
CPST Instructor

azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvBug03 View Post
nice this is similar in method to installing the britax seats for upright as well. :hinthint if you wanted to take more pics :
I was trying to work on this today, but the weather turned yucky and windy. I will post pics when I do . You want RN pics correct?
azgirl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #18
Defrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvBug03 View Post
I thought we already had a thread with pics of how to install the Britax seats more upright? Or is it just a description? I do have the Marathon back now, so I could make a pictorial of that, too, I suppose, if it hasn't been done already.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #19
Kabes
Carseat Crazy

Kabes is a novice Car-Seat.Org journalist

My DS is in a RF Radian. He is 16 months and about 25 lbs, is it O.K. to install at a more up right position? If it is; I'm headed outside. That would be SOOO sweet. Thanks for the pics.
Kabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #20
Defrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabes View Post
My DS is in a RF Radian. He is 16 months and about 25 lbs, is it O.K. to install at a more up right position? If it is; I'm headed outside. That would be SOOO sweet. Thanks for the pics.
Yes, it is okay to install it more upright for older children. Younger babies need a more reclined angle so that their heads don't fall forward and block their airway, but older kids have enough head control that they don't need to be that reclined.

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!