Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum to Ask Questions. Find help on how to pick the best infant, toddler or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles!

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
horseymom
Carseat Crazy

horseymom is a Car-Seat.org recognized contributor
Lock off's

can someone explain to me what exactly they are/do?

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
SPJ&E
Senior Community Member

SPJ&E is almost a CPS know-it-allSPJ&E is almost a CPS know-it-allSPJ&E is almost a CPS know-it-allSPJ&E is almost a CPS know-it-all
Re: Lock off's

On the few seats that have lockoffs, they are used instead of a locking clip (metal H shaped clip that comes with most carseats). They hold the seatbelt in place so it cannot loosen. Locking clips can be a total pain in the butt to use, whereas lockoffs, all you have to do is close over the seatbelt.

For example, a rear-facing seat installed with a lap/shoulder belt that locks at the retractor, will usually tip up on one side (because of the locked shoulder belt). In that situation, instead of locking the shoulder belt, you would use a locking clip or lockoff if the seat has one.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
azgirl71
CPST Instructor

azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamPacey&Joshua View Post
On the few seats that have lockoffs, they are used instead of a locking clip (metal H shaped clip that comes with most carseats). They hold the seatbelt in place so it cannot loosen. Locking clips can be a total pain in the butt to use, whereas lockoffs, all you have to do is close over the seatbelt.

For example, a rear-facing seat installed with a lap/shoulder belt that locks at the retractor, will usually tip up on one side (because of the locked shoulder belt). In that situation, instead of locking the shoulder belt, you would use a locking clip or lockoff if the seat has one.
azgirl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
spcamno
Carseat Crazy

spcamno has disabled reputation

Not sure if I am correct or not but on most vehicle after you install the seat you have to pull the entire seat belt (the one on your vehicle) out and let it retrace itself it should lock / limit the seat belt's length without any extra movement but just in case check your vehicle's owners manual in should state clearly in there.

If you seat belt doesn't has this feature you will need the lock to control the seat belt's length after the car seat has installed.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
spcamno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
azgirl71
CPST Instructor

azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!azgirl71 IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcamno View Post
Not sure if I am correct or not but on most vehicle after you install the seat you have to pull the entire seat belt (the one on your vehicle) out and let it retrace itself it should lock / limit the seat belt's length without any extra movement but just in case check your vehicle's owners manual in should state clearly in there.

If you seat belt doesn't has this feature you will need the lock to control the seat belt's length after the car seat has installed.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
The seat belt you are decribing is called a ALR (Automatic Locking Retractor). There are also ELR (Emergency Locking Retractor) and locking latch plates. In the mid 90's (I think '96, but would have look it up to bw certain) NHTSA made it manditory for vehicle manufacturers to have a way to lock seatbelts. Part of the reason was to help consumers with installing car seats. So you are partially correct
Old 12-23-2007, 11:41 PM   #6
spcamno
Carseat Crazy

Hi azgirl71,

Thanks for clarifying this!

Since on our mini van we have this ALR do we still have to use the locking clip?

Also on our other vehicle besides ALR we have automatic seatbelt tensioner (according to the manufacturer all the seat belts in the car will tighten up in the event of the accident) so should we use this clip as well or no?

I am kind of confused by the auto maker

Thanks again!
Old 12-23-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
azgirl71
CPST Instructor

With ALR you do not use locking clips. You can use the lock offs if your car seat has them built in and your car seat manual says this is permitted.

If you are in a vehicle that only has emergency locking retractors you must use a locking clip. Your careat will not be installed correctly otherwise because hte belt will remain loose and may not even lock in an emergency

ETA: Occasionaly when installing infant seat bases with ALR belts you ill have to leave the belt in the ELR mode and use a locking clip instead if your base tips from the tension form the ALR.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:56 PM   #8
spcamno
Carseat Crazy

Thanks for your prompt reply again!

I think I understand now, the lock offs is something built-in with the car seat itself and the locking clip is a metal clip device to hold / limits the travel of the auto seat belt if without the ALR feature,correct?

On our other vehicle that has the emergency seatbelt locking features (I think they call it tensioner) it also has the ALR function on it so I guess I don't need the metal locking clip I was talking about,right?

Thanks again!
Old 12-24-2007, 12:00 AM   #9
azgirl71
CPST Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcamno View Post
Thanks for your prompt reply again!

I think I understand now, the lock offs is something built-in with the car seat itself and the locking clip is a metal clip device to hold / limits the travel of the auto seat belt if without the ALR feature,correct?

On our other vehicle that has the emergency seatbelt locking features (I think they call it tensioner) it also has the ALR function on it so I guess I don't need the metal locking clip I was talking about,right?

Thanks again!
YW . You are correct on both questions. A locking clip ans a lock off are 2 deifferent things. No locking clip required when using ALR.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #10
spcamno
Carseat Crazy

Great, thanks again!

Merry Christmas and happy new year!
Old 12-24-2007, 12:08 AM   #11
azgirl71
CPST Instructor

YW and same to you
Old 12-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
miraclebabies
Carseat Crazy

miraclebabies is a popular Car-Seat.org writer

The lock off's are nice to use to get a tight and secure installation. I have them on my Britax carseats and love them. It doesn't take long to install them and it makes it easier to use the lock off.
miraclebabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #13
horseymom
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamPacey&Joshua View Post

ok thanks! this is exactly what I just had to do with ds eddie bauer AO, thanks to all these ladies they helped me figure it out. Good to see you here too (I have "talked to you on PW too)

I hope I did it correctly... pulled the belt out with out locking it got a tight install on the seat then unclipped it very carefully and put the locking clip on the belt and then vuckled it back up again (which was not easy! but it's in TIGHT!
horseymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #14
snowbird25ca
Moderator - CPST Instructor

snowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseymom View Post
I hope I did it correctly... pulled the belt out with out locking it got a tight install on the seat then unclipped it very carefully and put the locking clip on the belt and then vuckled it back up again (which was not easy! but it's in TIGHT!
Sounds perfect. (The locking clip should be within 1/2" from the latchplate, just mentioning jic.)
Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2009 Astra depending on the day.

snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:04 PM   #15
horseymom
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
Sounds perfect. (The locking clip should be within 1/2" from the latchplate, just mentioning jic.)

np! thanks! it might be a smige farther than 1/2" though
horseymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:26 PM   #16
ThreeBeans
CPS Fanatic

ThreeBeans is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!ThreeBeans is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!ThreeBeans is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!ThreeBeans is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!ThreeBeans is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!ThreeBeans is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!ThreeBeans is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

It's actually 1 inch, not 1/2 an inch. You're fine
ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #17
snowbird25ca
Moderator - CPST Instructor

snowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
It's actually 1 inch, not 1/2 an inch. You're fine
Have they recently changed the recommendation? Most manuals I've read say 1/2" and that's what we were taught (granted I'm in Canada, but I thought I've seen other techs post the same.)

I know you came through the course on the new curriculum though, so maybe they've changed it?

eta: Horseymom - I wouldn't be concerned if you're slightly over 1/2" provided that the locking clip isn't on the edge of the belt path. You have fairly short buckle stalks IIRC from your pictures, so I'm sure that's not a problem in your situation.
Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2009 Astra depending on the day.

snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #18
minismom
CPS Technician

minismom is almost a CPS know-it-allminismom is almost a CPS know-it-allminismom is almost a CPS know-it-allminismom is almost a CPS know-it-all

After all this locking talk, today I went back to my seat and I was trying to check if having locked the ALR was tipping the SS1 base, since I recently learned that can happen. BUT, when I pulled on the shoulder belt it WAS NOT LOCKED. I am 100% sure I pulled on the belt to lock it when I installed the seat just a couple of days ago. Is that weird, could it be a problem with the seatbelt?
Old 12-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #19
spcamno
Carseat Crazy

Not an expert here but as far as I know if you pull the seat belt fast enough it will trigger the lock to hold it on place but that's NOT the ALR.

To activate the ALR you have to pull the entire seat belt out slowly until it stops then allow it to retract all the way, actually I knee on the car seat with my body weight and force it into the seat and was still able to remove may be an inch or two of snag.

The cushion may be well compressed and deformed from its shape now but my son's safety is all I care about and lets worry about the seat later when the lease on our ody is up!
Old 12-24-2007, 07:39 PM   #20
Jeanum
Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus

Jeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
Have they recently changed the recommendation? Most manuals I've read say 1/2" and that's what we were taught (granted I'm in Canada, but I thought I've seen other techs post the same.)

I know you came through the course on the new curriculum though, so maybe they've changed it?
My tech course also was the newer U.S. curriculum, and we were taught within 1" of the buckle for locking clip placement. I don't believe this differed at all from the earlier U.S. tech course curriculum.

DD1 Age 12, 65" 5 steps
DD2 Age 9, 55" Britax Parkway SGL

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!