Any "last minute" advice on choosing a booster seat?

annb

Any "last minute" advice on choosing a booster seat? (updated w/ new questions)

DS is 5 1/2, approx. 50 pounds, 46" tall.
This is for the 3rd row of a 2005 Sienna.

We need something he can buckle/unbuckle himself, so are really just looking for a belt positioning booster. I'm thinking the Graco Airbooster.

Other options/opinions?

Last edited:
ADS

skaterbabs

try the AB before you buy; some people with smaller children have said that it just doesn't fit them very well. Otherwise it's a great seat.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
My 9yo rides in an Air Booster and it fits him great; he's about 58lbs. My 40lb 7yo doesn't fit well in it, though; when she uses a booster its a TurboBooster and the fit is much better.

ETA: I forgot to mention, even if he's buckling himself, you should always check at least visually to make sure he's got it right. Even my 11yo sometimes misses the beltpath if he's in a hurry or not paying attention. I've also found that the Air Booster has a "ridge" at the bottom of the beltpath and I've got the seatbelt caught on it before; it creates a false snugness. Note that my kids have never managed it, so I suspect it's just the way I pull the seatbelt forward when I'm buckling it, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I would recommend against the AB unless your kiddo has VERY long legs. It's such a deep seat it fits 10 year olds comfortably, but younger kids may have their legs sticking straight out when sitting on it. The Parkway or Comass B510 would be extremely easy to buckle and fit 5 yo's a lot better in general. But if he has super long legs, it's great :) (harder to buckle than something without armrests or with flip up armrests, though)

:)

scatterbunny

My 49 inch, 55 pound dd finds the Air Booster simply DIVINE. :rolleyes: Seriously, she tried it out 5 months ago and hasn't seen it since, but still talks about it. :p She is long-legged, though; previous posters are right, all-torso kids or smaller kids might not find it comfortable or fit well in it.

The Compass B510 is really easy to buckle. My dd thinks it's even easier than the Parkway, and more comfortable.

wondering1

The Airbooster also works well for children who unexpectedly urinate in the car seat.
My 5 year old 43" child liked the Airbooster but we only used it for short trips. Child wants one to use around the house, too! Crossing legs works in the Airbooster similar to the Britax Regent extended harness seat (our primary seat).

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Crossing legs works in the Airbooster similar to the Britax Regent extended harness seat (our primary seat).

I'm confused.

Is your DC sitting criss-cross-apple-sauce in the Airbooster? If so that is not ok. A child needs to be able to pass the 5 step test for the booster they are riding in, or the result will be the same as not using a booster for a child too small for the adult belt.

twokidstwodogs

My 5.5 year old finds it very easy to buckle and unbuckle herself in the Compass B510. The flip-up armrests help a lot, though of course you have to remember to check that they get flipped down again.

annb

Ok so I was planning to have purchased something already, but the stores don't seem to have anything except the Airbooster to try. (and some other stuff I'm not considering)
DS does not like the idea of wearing a regular seatbelt, but that was trying out the seatbelt on the test bench at Babies R Us. It might be different in our car.
I have to check his ear height, but he's taller than the shoulder strap height on his Wizard/Boulevard, so if he hasn't outgrown it, he's about to. So I need to find something!
I'm not completely opposed to the Regent, but I'd have to climb back there and buckle him in every time. (I may have to with a booster even. Buckling/unbuckling is just not a skill he's inclined to learn at this point, and of course I didn't encourage it when he was younger!)
I'm thinking of just ordering him the Compass B510.
I don't know what to do since I can't find the seats to try in the stores. :(

Do any of the boosters secure in some way to the seat?
Any other advice??????
I'm usually pretty up on car seat stuff, but am feeling a little lost with boosters.

skaterbabs

Honestly, buckling a booster is harder than buckling a harnessed seat; both are a learned skill, but the angle of the seatbelt makes the booster difficult for a LOT of kids.

keri1292

How is your van set up? I don't actually have to get in to buckle my kiddos. I have one RFing in a captains chair and two in the 3rd row in a Regent and a MA. I just removed the headrest from the captains chair and it's easy to buckle the MA. Dd can buckle her own Regent. I just doublecheck her. One seat folded or stowed is helpful when loading and buckling as well. Here's a pic... (please excuse the limited clothing, we were headed down the street to the beach. :eek: )
boysbdayparty078.jpg

scatterbunny

I agree with Skaterbabs, buckling a harnessed seat (on top of the child) is easier than buckling a booster (reaching down lower next to the seat, sometimes crammed between another carseat or person), for adults and for children in most cases. My dd was able to buckle her harnessed seat starting at age 3.5, but she didn't learn how to buckle her booster reliably (without getting the belt twisted up, without screaming in frustration) until age 6. She's now using a booster full-time and the only one (that we own) that she can do all by herself is the Compass B510, because of the flip-up armrests and the lack of torso wings to get in the way of her vision, so she can make sure the belts aren't twisted. I think she could probably do the Graco Air Booster now, too. For some reason the Britax boosters give her more trouble, I think the large torso wings (that I love for SIP) obstruct her view just enough that she gets the belt twisted up.

As for boosters that secure to the vehicle in some way, the Recaro Start is top-tethered (love it), but the shoulderbelt lockoff makes it almost impossible for a child to do themselves. You can bypass the shoulderbelt lockoff if you want, but we love it. It provides almost a harness-like snug fit. The Jane Indy Plus uses lower anchors. That's it for highback boosters that secure to the vehicle in some way, for now. The Sunshine Kids Monterey is on the horizon, and it will use lower anchors. There's backless booster called the Clek that uses lower anchors, too, but I would be hesitant to move to a backless now.

myliljunebugs

My son can't buckle the booster, but he can get himself into his seat, buckled and ready to go before I'm done with his sister and myself :D Just a thought!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Hmm... if you're not even sure he'll be able to buckle himself, I'd be re-considering the booster idea as well. Boosters are perceived as being as easier for the kids to buckle themselves, but that's definitely not true in many (if not most) cases.

Are the buckle stalks long? Those are pretty much the only type of seatbelts I can think of that a child would have an easier time buckling than a harness. My 9 and 11 yos still struggle to buckle themselves in their boosters sometimes, particularly in our Mazda5 center row, because the buckles are very far back and low. With the backrest on the seat, this becomes even more difficult, as the child has to lean forward, past the sidewings and headwings, reach around the armrest, buckle, then adjust the seat belt properly. For comparison, my 7yo dd can buckle herself in her harnessed seats more quickly in some cases (assuming she's not dawdling, of course!)

With the Air Booster, there's the added risk that the child will miss the beltpath, so even if he does learn how to buckle himself, you'll still need to check to make sure he's done it correctly and pulled the seat belt snugly every single time - and it might be hard to see both sides of the AB beltpath without climbing in.

When we were using our Astro, I had the two boostered boys in the center row, where I could help them and check their buckling, and dd was in her Husky in the rear row, outboard by the door so I could reach back and help her if necessary, but mostly just so I could easily see her from the door. A harnessed seat is easier to reach in that position, and easier to check visually, than a booster seat.

annb

He can buckle the seatbelt, but I don't know if he can buckle it with a booster.
Car seat decisions should be easier to make.

One way or another we need something new.
DD (2 1/2) is in a Marathon. Her seat in our other car is a Roundabout that is expiring in January.
DS has Wizards in both vehicles. I'm not sure when the one in the car expires cause I haven't found the sticker (I need to take it out and look, but I think it's at least a year away, not certain) DS is fine ear-height wise on the Wizard, but otherwise the harness is just below his shoulders now.
And we're expecting a new baby in the next couple weeks. (Snugride for now)

DS might just be happier with a Regent. I'll talk w/ dh. I was kind of looking forward to spending less than $100 though. lol

Keri I had thought about that set-up with the van, putting them in just like your kids are. It seems like dh had tried to talk me out of it for some reason, but I don't remember why.

myliljunebugs

well, the straps need to be at or above his shoulders, so he has already outgrown that seat. Only the Radian (to my knowledge) allows you to go above the top harness slot.

keri1292

Keri I had thought about that set-up with the van, putting them in just like your kids are. It seems like dh had tried to talk me out of it for some reason, but I don't remember why.

It has worked great for us. In the winter, I hop in and sit on the folded seat to buckle after shutting the slider behind me. We all stay a little warmer. And when it rains, I'm not stuck standing outside. :) When dd is in school, I can put both boys in on one side, to. :thumbsup:

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I'm confused.

Is your DC sitting criss-cross-apple-sauce in the Airbooster? If so that is not ok. A child needs to be able to pass the 5 step test for the booster they are riding in, or the result will be the same as not using a booster for a child too small for the adult belt.

Really? Why would it be different for a booster vs. a harnessed seat?

W/O any info to back it up, I'd think kids would be LESS likely to slouch (allowing the lap portion to ride up) and be out of position if they were sitting this way.

We have 'em sit this way in school because it helps them stay in one place and define their personal space. Also, you can't kick the kid next to you with your legs crossed. :whistle:

annb

well, the straps need to be at or above his shoulders, so he has already outgrown that seat. Only the Radian (to my knowledge) allows you to go above the top harness slot.

You know what, I was reading the Marathon manual instead of the Wizard one.

In the Marathon manual it says:
Once top slots become necessary, child may continue to use the restraint until the tops of ears become level with top of restraint shell or child exceeds 65 pounds.

The Wizard just says:
Harness straps must be located even with the child's shoulder.

Then it says:
The child is too tall when tops of the ears are above the top of the headrest or height exceeds 49 inches.

It's not really clear if you can go by the tops of the ears rule if you're as high as the harness goes.

Either way, wether he's outgrown it or not, I can't put him in something else until I buy it, and I can't buy it until I decide what to buy.

_____

Keri--I asked my husband again. The reason he didn't want both kids in the 3rd row is that it would be hard to hand things to our 2 1/2 year old, like a sippy cup or a kleenex or whatever. How do you handle that?

annb

Ok, after going to some stores and still not finding what we wanted to try, and ds not liking the Regent, I ordered him a Compass B510 and a Britax Parkway. And he will love them, or else! lol One will go in the van, the other in the car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC