Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > Carseat Reviews, Articles and FAQs

Notices

Carseat Reviews, Articles and FAQs Member Submitted Articles on Child Passenger and Vehicle Safety; Frequently Asked Questions, Reviews and Ratings. Moderated.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
Jewels
CPS Technician

Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!
How to tell if your RF seat is outgrown by height

How to tell if your RF seat is outgrown by height:

It seems that how to tell when a RF (rear-facing) seat is outgrown is a fairly common question. It can be really hard to tell when a RF seat is outgrown, and a common misconception is looking from the front of the carseat to see if it is outgrown. The seat will pretty much always look outgrown from the front before it is truly outgrown because you need to look from the side.

This picture shows the correct way to measure. A line is drawn perpendicular to the shell/back of the carseat over the top of the child's head (#1). Then a second line is drawn out from the top of the shell parallel to the first line (#2).

Now measure the distance between the two lines. When there is *less than one inch*, the rearfacing restraint is outgrown by height.

This picture shows a common misconception with how people measure to check for the one inch rule. The line is drawn parallel to the ground from the top of the shell. You can see how this would appear to show the seat is outgrown, however it is incorrect to measure this way and this child still has room to grow in this seat.

The best place to measure how much room is left in the seat is when the seat is installed in the vehicle. They're usually more upright in the house and the more upright they are the more shell there will be above the child's head making your measurements not acurate.

*Disclaimer* This 1" rule works for all infant seats. Some convertibles allow you to have the head even with the top of the shell, refer to your manual.

**The pictures used in this article are used with permission by An Aurora.

Last edited by Jeanum; 07-04-2009 at 06:06 AM. Reason: fixed image links to display photos on behalf of OP

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
CDNTech
CPS Technician

CDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Re: How to tell if your RF seat is outgrown

Great article!

DS3 /12, Peg PVC... working towards finalizing
CDNTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
Mama!
CPS Fanatic

Mama! is almost a CPS know-it-allMama! is almost a CPS know-it-allMama! is almost a CPS know-it-allMama! is almost a CPS know-it-all

Very cool.

Our scenera doesnt say anything about head height, so I was wondering.
Mama! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
Brilliantmama
Carseat Crazy

Brilliantmama is a novice Car-Seat.Org journalist

what about seats with an adjustable headrest, like the BLVD?

Brilliantmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Patriot201
Car-Seat.org Ambassador

Patriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Jewels,

What a GREAT post this is! This will be SO helpful to MANY people!

I wish I could give you rep MANY times for this one!

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
Learning to cope with the unexpected...
Patriot201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
brightredmtn
CPS Technician

brightredmtn is almost a CPS know-it-allbrightredmtn is almost a CPS know-it-allbrightredmtn is almost a CPS know-it-all
Re: How to tell if your RF seat is outgrown by height

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
*Disclaimer* This 1" rule works for all infant seats. Some convertibles allow you to have the head even with the top of the shell, refer to your manual.
My manual actually says nothing about height limits for RF.
brightredmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
Jewels
CPS Technician

Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightredmtn View Post
My manual actually says nothing about height limits for RF.
I know the Britax MA allows the head to be even with the top of the shell. If you can't find it in the manual then I would call the company that makes your carseat and ask them.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:17 AM   #8
An Aurora
CPS Technician

An Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Quote:
I know the Britax MA allows the head to be even with the top of the shell. If you can't find it in the manual then I would call the company that makes your carseat and ask them.
Just to clarify, the new 2008 Britax manuals now state that the child must have an inch of shell above the top of the head to RF in their convertibles. As far as I know, this is retroactive.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
Pepse
Carseat Crazy

Pepse is a Car-Seat.org recognized contributor

very cool, thanks for sharing. I will have to measure dd when she wakes up from her nap
Pepse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
rosey2007
Carseat Crazy

rosey2007 is a Car-Seat.org recognized contributor

Thank you for making that clear.
rosey2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #11
NannyMom
CPS Technician

NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Maybe this is a silly question... but.... If DD's head is sitting against the back of the carseat, and I take a ruler and put it against the seat, and measure from the top of her head to the top of the seat.... that'll give the same measurement as in the first picture, right?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #12
Pixels
CPS Technician

Pixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannyMom View Post
Maybe this is a silly question... but.... If DD's head is sitting against the back of the carseat, and I take a ruler and put it against the seat, and measure from the top of her head to the top of the seat.... that'll give the same measurement as in the first picture, right?
As long as it's a ruler (not a cloth tape measure), and you make sure that you are measuring perpindicular to the shell. You want to avoid a tape measure because many shells round over at the edge, which would give a much higher measurement than what the child actually has.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
tjham
Senior Community Member

tjham is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!tjham is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!tjham is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!tjham is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!tjham is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!tjham is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

Quote:
How to tell if your RF seat is outgrown by height:

It seems that how to tell when a RF (rear-facing) seat is outgrown is a fairly common question. It can be really hard to tell when a RF seat is outgrown, and a common misconception is looking from the front of the carseat to see if it is outgrown. The seat will pretty much always look outgrown from the front before it is truly outgrown because you need to look from the side.

This picture shows the correct way to measure. A line is drawn perpendicular to the shell/back of the carseat over the top of the child's head (#1). Then a second line is drawn out from the top of the shell parallel to the first line (#2).

Now measure the distance between the two lines. When there is *less than one inch*, the rearfacing restraint is outgrown by height.

This picture shows a common misconception with how people measure to check for the one inch rule. The line is drawn parallel to the ground from the top of the shell. You can see how this would appear to show the seat is outgrown, however it is incorrect to measure this way and this child still has room to grow in this seat.

The best place to measure how much room is left in the seat is when the seat is installed in the vehicle. They're usually more upright in the house and the more upright they are the more shell there will be above the child's head making your measurements not acurate.

**The pictures used in this article are used with permission by An Aurora.
Are there pictures like this is show when a seat is outgrown FF? (lines drawn to show top of ears in relation to top of shell?)
tjham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #14
Jennifer mom to my 7
Senior Community Member

Jennifer mom to my 7 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jennifer mom to my 7 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jennifer mom to my 7 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jennifer mom to my 7 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jennifer mom to my 7 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jennifer mom to my 7 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jennifer mom to my 7 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

Britax has them in there new manuals (minus the adorable model of course).

Page 6-7 of the new marathon manual, right in the initial warning sections.
http://www.britaxusa.com/uploads/pro...-guides/10.pdf

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown
Jennifer mom to my 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
mommycat
CPS Technician

mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer mom to my 7 View Post
Britax has them in there new manuals (minus the adorable model of course).

Page 6-7 of the new marathon manual, right in the initial warning sections.
http://www.britaxusa.com/uploads/pro...-guides/10.pdf
Wow, really - on the reclined shoulder level?? I didn't imagine it like that at all. But then again, the recline they are showing is pretty exaggerated, isn't it? So when you look at a kid in their seat you just look straight on and the little bit of recline doesn't "show up" when you are looking like it does in the picture.
Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.
mommycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #16
Jennifer mom to my 7
Senior Community Member

Jennifer mom to my 7 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jennifer mom to my 7 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jennifer mom to my 7 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jennifer mom to my 7 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jennifer mom to my 7 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jennifer mom to my 7 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Jennifer mom to my 7 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycat View Post
Wow, really - on the reclined shoulder level?? I didn't imagine it like that at all. But then again, the recline they are showing is pretty exaggerated, isn't it? So when you look at a kid in their seat you just look straight on and the little bit of recline doesn't "show up" when you are looking like it does in the picture.
Right, pretty much I think their reclined level is if the seat is installed in recline level, which you cannot do over 33-35 pounds (not sure if the new manuals make a difference, the older 33 pound rf seats had a 33 pound recline limit when ff). As we know, if you can get a more upright install with a ff britax, the child gets more room

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown
Jennifer mom to my 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #17
sparkyd
Carseat Crazy

sparkyd is almost a CPS know-it-allsparkyd is almost a CPS know-it-allsparkyd is almost a CPS know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliantmama View Post
what about seats with an adjustable headrest, like the BLVD?
There was no answer posted to this question and I think it's a good one - I was wondering the same thing the other day.
sparkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #18
Jeanum
Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus

Jeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Britax indicates there must be 1 inch of shell above the top of the rear facing child's head for determining if the Blvd. has been outgrown by height rear facing. There was a discussion of this in the online CEU chat held here with a rep. from Britax last year, and the Britax chat transcript is also posted here at or near the top of the Articles forum.

DD1 Age 12, 65" 5 steps
DD2 Age 9, 55" Britax Parkway SGL

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar
Jeanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #19
mommycat
CPS Technician

mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!

So, 1" of shell and not headrest, yes?
Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.
mommycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #20
Jeanum
Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus

Jeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Yes, shell.

DD1 Age 12, 65" 5 steps
DD2 Age 9, 55" Britax Parkway SGL

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!