Mifold booster

ADS

_juune

Hmm. Looking at the pictures in the gallery the lap belt is often flat on the tights only, not really touching the pelvis. Isn't that what counts as "too low" as it can cause submarining? :scratcheshead:
I'm all for easy to take along boosters for carpools and the like, though.

thekatie

I don't know if it's really safe or not (too low lap belt is what I'm hearing everywhere?), but the IDEA is amazing - and even if this exact model right here wouldn't pass federal testing I hope they'd just tweak it until it did. Because I love the concept of this :)

Also, I'm like 0-3749594 on pronouncing seat names/brands. I was totally saying "me fold" not "my fold". I can't get any of them right :p

featherhead

Yes, looking again the lap belt seems to be too low. Putting the guides on the back half of the seat instead of the front half would help.

bnsnyde

I just bought a Topside (sits low perhaps but not THAT low). Is this smaller or something?

We don't care about portability but for travel maybe.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oooooh...quick move the belt guides back a smidge and sell me one in the next 13 days before I take the kids to visit grandma.
I love promising-looking new products :jive:

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Based on what I've seen in the video - the lap belt fit is totally unacceptable. IIHS will rate it "Not Recommended". Which is too bad because I do love innovative new products. But this one definitely needs tweaking.

In the last round of IIHS ratings the Kids Embrace backless booster was Not Recommended for that reason. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/child-boosters/not-recommended

http://www.iihs.org/media/e35890cc-...otocols/current/booster_rating_guidelines.pdf

Lap Belt Score

"An effective lap belt position allows the belt to engage the bony pelvis during a frontal crash. If the belt is located above the pelvis, it will load the vulnerable abdominal organs. If the belt is too far forward on the thighs, the body will undergo excessive excursion, and the pelvis may begin to rotate and increase the likelihood of submarining (lap belt passing above the pelvis and loading the abdominal organs). The particular pelvic structures loaded by the lap belt are the anterior superior iliac spines (ASIS), and the equivalent ASIS locations on the ATD pelvis serve as reference points for the lap belt score (further details are available in the protocol). The score is the distance from the ASIS reference point to the top edge of the lap belt, measured along the profile of the pelvis at the lateral location of the ASIS. The score is positive when the lap belt is positioned below the ASIS and negative when the belt is above the ASIS. The distances measured on the left and right sides of the pelvis are averaged for a single lap belt score. The ideal location for the lap belt is an equivalent score of 20 to 50 mm (green zone). A belt located within 10 mm on either side of this zone is considered to provide fair protection (yellow zone). Scores less than 10 mm indicate the belt is located on the abdomen, and scores greater than 60 mm indicate the belt is too far forward on the thighs (Figure 1)."

Last edited:

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'll buy it because he talks with an English accent!

I wonder also about the possibility of slack in the belt. It seems like there's a lot introduced through the hips.

bnsnyde

I am on the list, too.

I did write to them to inquire about the lap belt. Maybe if enough people do...

I mean, I want it to pass and do well and then...it could be a great thing!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It seems like just flipping it so the belt guides are in the back would fix the "too low" issue, so hopefully they can!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm mobile right now so I can't get a great look at the photos, but is there anything stopping you from turning the booster around so the guides ARE at the back?

HEVY

I'm mobile right now so I can't get a great look at the photos, but is there anything stopping you from turning the booster around so the guides ARE at the back?

It be nice, but the opening to the guides are in the front, if it was turned around I would think they would come out of the slots. They are only prototypes now, right, maybe he can be convinced to make one with the guides in the back and see how they fit

featherhead

It be nice, but the opening to the guides are in the front, if it was turned around I would think they would come out of the slots. They are only prototypes now, right, maybe he can be convinced to make one with the guides in the back and see how they fit

That, and the shoulder belt guide would then be at the front of the seat. It shouldn't take much to redesign it to have the guides further back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC