Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum to Ask Questions. Find help on how to pick the best infant, toddler or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles!

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
aunt83me02
CPS Technician

aunt83me02 has disabled reputation
flying, which seat do we take?

Ok, so we (my sister, 7mo niece, and me) are flying from Des Moines to Phoenix Nov. 15th. My sister wanted to buy a seat for the baby but her husband didn't think they could justify the price... Anyway, we won't be using the seat on the plane but will need it for the rental car, we have several choices: Cosco Touriva, Graco Comfortport, SK Radian 60. I have a giant wheeled duffle that I was thinking we could put the Cosco or the Graco in to gate check but then I got to thinking... If I bought the Radian bag could I take it as a carry-on so we wouldn't have to worry about it getting wrecked? As long as the Graco or Cosco were in good condition for the rental car down there I wouldn't care if we had to throw either one away when we got back as they are reaching their expiration date (in about a year). Has anyone ever taken a a Radian as a carry-on? I know it would be heavy as all get out...

Any ideas?

Marie
CPS Tech
aunt flying with a baby for the first time!

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
skipspin
Moderator - CPS Technician

skipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Re: flying, which seat do we take?

I've taken mine on the plane several times, but I always used it on the plane. In fact, most recently I took the RN for my 4 yr old AND an infnat seat for my 7 month old while flying alone. It was wonderful to have a seat for the baby so he could sleep and I could actually have a drink without him spilling it. I had the RN on a $14 luggage cart from Wal-mart and it rolled down the aisle on the plane that way.

I don't think that they will let you carry on a Radian if you're not using it, since it's larger than a normal carry on bag. You could find out when you check in if the flight is full. If there are extra seats they may let you take the seat for the baby. If not you can throw it in the bag and check it.

All that said, I'd prolly take a lighter seat than the RN unless there is a specific reason that you want to take it. I don't think a RN would work well (if at all) RFing on the plane anyway since it has a closed beltpath and takes up a lot of room.

9 yr old in a pink zebra NBB and 5-stepping
6 yr DS1 old in a Harmony
4 yr old DS2 in a Nautilus and Radian
18 mo DS3 rfing in a MyRide65
skipspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
MagnificentMama
Senior Community Member

MagnificentMama is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorMagnificentMama is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

What airline are you flying? When I flew with DD and she was under 2, Southwest let me actually use an empty seat and install her car seat. Obviously you'd have to catch a "off peak" flight and hope for the best, but the times i've flown with them and didn't purchase a seat for DD- she was able to get a seat of her own without me paying.

Maybe you could check into if your airline has some type of policy like that?

anywhoo- i'd bring the Touriva. You're most likely to get a good install with that seat. From everything I heard about a RN, it's pretty much hit or miss with the type of vehicle it installs in. I don't think you'd like to be thousand miles away with a car seat that doesn't install right into a car, KWIM?

6yo|Regent
MagnificentMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
aunt83me02
CPS Technician

aunt83me02 has disabled reputation

We're flying Delta, I know that some airlines (like SW) let you use empty seats for carseats, does anyone know about Delta? Looks like we'll be taking the Touriva (which was what I'd been planning all along. Do you think I'll have any problems gate checking it in a giant wheeled duffle bag?
aunt83me02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
mburks26
Carseat Crazy

mburks26 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt83me02 View Post
We're flying Delta, I know that some airlines (like SW) let you use empty seats for carseats, does anyone know about Delta? Looks like we'll be taking the Touriva (which was what I'd been planning all along. Do you think I'll have any problems gate checking it in a giant wheeled duffle bag?
Im not sure bout gate checking seats alot of people say they have been damaged. The way people load stuff on and off the plane maybe get som bubble wrap and wrap it then put in the duffle bag and maybe some packing peanuts things? They make large bubble wrap. I dont see bubble wrap and peanut things those white foam things making the bag heavier? could protect the seat
mburks26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:08 AM   #6
UlrikeDG
Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus

UlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

I don't think they'll let you take a giant wheeled duffle past the security check. I could be wrong, and DSM's a small airport, so I guess if you got to the security check early and it was a problem, you could just run the bag back out to your car. OTOH, if you do get to use the seat on the plane, you'll still have the giant wheeled duffle to deal with.

Is it a non-stop flight? If so, the airline is US Air, even if your ticket is through Delta.

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
Just click the symbol in the lower left-hand corner
of the post. Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe,
SPAM-free zone!
UlrikeDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
Defrost
Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus

Defrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

From what I understand the Radian install problems are mostly FF with the seatbelt. When using it with LATCH or RF with the seatbelt, it shouldn't be as much of a concern.
Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!
Defrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
CDNTech
CPS Technician

CDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org Leader

We've taken our Radian as carry-on before. It does fit the requirements of carry-on luggage and goes in the overhead bin with no problems. We did not have a carry-on bag for it though... just the seat itself.

DS3 /12, Peg PVC... working towards finalizing
CDNTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
An Aurora
CPS Technician

An Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidensmom02 View Post
We've taken our Radian as carry-on before. It does fit the requirements of carry-on luggage and goes in the overhead bin with no problems. We did not have a carry-on bag for it though... just the seat itself.
I was going to say the same thing. I would do this . I've put our Radian in the overhead bin no problem.

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!