News Forumrunner Car-Seat.Org App Ending - Please use Tapatalk

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
UPDATE: The original ForumRunner Car-Seat.Org branded App will no longer work effective December 31st, 2017. For many devices, it has been broken for some time with the most recent iOS and Android updates. Please switch to Tapatalk mobile app or browse our mobile friendly style: https://www.car-seat.org/index.php?styleid=69

Hello,

As some of you may know, the developer of our custom mobile app sold his company about 2.5 years ago. Even though he sold it to the developers of our forum software, vBulletin, updates and support have been essentially stopped. Honestly, for a license that is paid annually, the response has been grossly unprofessional in regard to just making compatibility updates with the latest mobile operating systems, let alone making feature improvements.

So, I do not plan to continue the significant cost of the mobile app beyond the end of 2014 unless they begin to support and update it again. I apologize to users of the app for this inconvenience, but I believe that over 2 years is more than enough time to give them a chance to support their own software. As time passes and more members upgrade to the latest iOS and Android versions, there will just be more problems.

So, I am offering two changes, hopefully by the time the custom app is no longer available.

1) Effective immediately, I am testing the Tapatalk app. This app has been around for many years and is still supported. Though I have some reservations, it is really the only other option available. You can simply search for "Tapatalk" in the iTunes app store or Google Play android store. The Tapatalk app is not customized for Car-Seat.Org. It is a multi-forum browser for which Car-Seat.Org is only one of many available community forums.

Once you download it, you may need to register a tapatalk account. This can be done via username/email/password, Facebook or Google+. These accounts are made with Tapatalk, not with Car-Seat.Org. You should NOT use the same username and password as you do with your Car-Seat.Org account!

You can then search for "carseat" or "Car-Seat.Org" to locate our forum. Then you can find the relevant menus to sign-in with your normal forum username and password. There is also a blog reader where you can visit CarseatBlog for the latest news and reviews.

I will conduct this test through the end of 2014. At the end of that time, I will either continue to use Tapatalk or opt to pay their fee to have a customized Car-Seat.Org app based on Tapatalk.

2) I hope to complete the long awaited forum update to vBulletin 4 before the end of the year. Once completed, there will be more mobile-friendly desktop styles available. We do have a mobile style for browsers now, but it is very basic:

http://www.car-seat.org/?styleid=66

If you do try the Tapatalk App for Car-Seat.Org, or are already using it for other forums, please comment on this thread if you have any issues, old or new. I need as much feedback as possible before the end of the year. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

sirrahn

Re: Tapatalk Mobile App Test + Forumrunner App Ending

Tapatalk seems fine here. I've used it for other forums for years with no issue.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I've used Tapatalk for years and will go search for CSO now! Because the current app doesn't play well with iOS 8. :p You can't start new threads.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador

Ha! Added CSO and loving it because since I have a Tapatalk account, I didn't have to go and find my CSO password to login! ;)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Ok, I just downloaded Tapatalk and I kinda hate it. I signed in to CSO, but it looks like it only gives me the public forums, and only in chronological order, not broken down by forum?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador

Ok, I just downloaded Tapatalk and I kinda hate it. I signed in to CSO, but it looks like it only gives me the public forums, and only in chronological order, not broken down by forum?

Did you go to the menu at the top left? The 3 lines. And you can edit the order of the stuff in the menu too.

sirrahn

Did you go to the menu at the top left? The 3 lines. And you can edit the order of the stuff in the menu too.
Yeah. It's all there. Personally I always have it open to unread posts, but there are lots of ways to set it up.

katymyers

I'm using tapatalk now... It's weird but it works and I'll get used to it. It's just sooo different from the app.

HEVY

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I just come on here the same way I do on the pc. I don't like using apps for websites, they don't have the same content and aren't any faster or easier to use, IMO.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador

I'm using tapatalk now... It's weird but it works and I'll get used to it. It's just sooo different from the app.

ForumRunner and Tapatalk used to be quite similar. But then ForumRunner stopped evolving and Tapatalk became free and changed their look and have kept evolving. And that's why they are so different now.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster

For those that use the app and have never used Tapatalk, you can add Car-Seat.org as one of your forums. For me, it also gave me a few other random forums. It took me a while to figure out that you could remove those by holding down on the forum in the list to select, then touching the trash can at the top right.

Once you click on Car-Seat.Org in your forums list, the default page may be the activity page. The top left button lets you select from a forum browsing menu (called "Browse"), subscribed threads, unread threads, blog feed, messages, etc.

I think most of the difficulties look like they are due to this app being a multi-forum reading app and not specific to Car-Seat.Org, so there is another layer above reading car-seat.org. Also, of course, there is a small learning curve to find all the features. If it proves to be stable and popular, I will consider paying the $70 monthly fee to have a custom app based on Tapatalk. Then you could use either version to browse.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
FYI, Darren, Tapatalk shows me moderated posts in italics so I know if something needs to be approved. That's kinda cool. Still too early for me to say whether I'll really use it or not, but I thought I'd note that.

DabOfLoven

Just found it by accident. I've got it added to my tapatalk and hopefully this will help with my battery and other issues with the old app!

My phone has a mind of its own. Please excuse my typonese.

katymyers

ForumRunner and Tapatalk used to be quite similar. But then ForumRunner stopped evolving and Tapatalk became free and changed their look and have kept evolving. And that's why they are so different now.

Yeah, the app always seemed really outdated to me when I used it :eek: but I was used to it lol. The tapatalk isn't bad at all, I like it, it's just really different. It looks really nice though, I love that.

katymyers

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I just come on here the same way I do on the pc. I don't like using apps for websites, they don't have the same content and aren't any faster or easier to use, IMO.

Wow, I'm surprised that works for you. I can't stand using non-mobile version of websites on my phone. I hate having to navigate left and right and constantly expand or constrict things that I'm looking at. Do whatever works though, there's nothing wrong with that :).

DabOfLoven

Wow, I'm surprised that works for you. I can't stand using non-mobile version of websites on my phone. I hate having to navigate left and right and constantly expand or constrict things that I'm looking at. Do whatever works though, there's nothing wrong with that :).
I agree! I will go to the non mobile app version if I need to delete something or if that's the only way I know how to do a certain thing. (like delete pictures to make more room for others) I'm loving the smilies on here, [emoji218] [emoji7]

My phone has a mind of its own, if you're seeing this I'm on it. Sent from Tapatalk.

lgenne

I'm definitely a little confused here, but I think I could get behind a Tapatalk based c-s.o app.

Testing to see what the little bird does when I post.

jess71903

Ambassador

I just downloaded and am using it now. Seems very easy to me. I'll use it a while and post back. I do like the quick reply at the bottom of the thread.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC