Help installing a radian r120 more upright rfing

LRutt

My 3 yo dd just broke her collarbone on Thursday. Getting her in and out of her car seat was hurting her, so we swapped her and her brother's seats. I have never installed the radian rfing before. We found a local safety center that sells the angle adjusters and had a certified tech there instal it for us but there is still hardly any legroom for the front seat passenger. My knees are practically touching the handle on my glove box and I'm only 5'1. I've heard that there are some "tricks" for installing slightly more upright to allow more room for the front seat. It's in a 2008 Jeep Liberty. I can post some pics if needed. TIA.

ADS

Keeyamah

One tip for getting a seat more upright is push where the child's feet go instead of the bum area, but I'm not sure how well that would work with the angle adjuster for the Radian.

LRutt

Ooh there are actually 2! We are right outside of Madison, WI. I will PM them and see if either would be able to come help if I can't figure it out. It was installed by a certified tech, but as I said he left before I got in the car, so I didn't realize how little room there was in the front.

LRutt

Just to make sure, I would pretty much install the seat as I would without the angle adjuster and then shove the angle adjuster under the seat until it touches the rear facing boot?

I also remember reading something about putting the front of the boot farther out on the seat if there's a raised seat bought? As long as the front of the boot touches where the raised seat bout dips down? (Does that make sense?). Is that ok? Would it help. Or should the boot be directly in the crack where the bottom of the seat meets the seat back?

LRutt

Argh. Now that I messed with it I can't even get a right instal at all! No matter how hard I pull on the latch straps. What am I doing wrong? I just want to cry. :(

sarahknavy

We always put the adjuster in then tighten... Wonder if I am doing it wrong. I pretty much kneel in it and pull. Those latch straps are kind of annoying. You could try using the seatbelt and see if that is easier. I kind of rock the seat side to side while I am pulling too.

Keeyamah

Yeah, if I remember right, you place the seat in where you want, hook up the LATCH or buckle the seat belt (leaving it kinda loose), slide the AA (angle adjuster) under the seat, and then tighten.

As for the LATCH strap not tightening, what angle are you pulling it at? That makes a surprising difference for me sometimes.

LRutt

I "think" I got it. I put the latch tail through the slit on the side of the seat to tighten it mostly, and then fed the tail through the belt path to pull it tighter. Then I shoved the angle adjuster in. I think I'm going to have my husband try to get it a bit tighter though too. Thanks again for all of your help! Now I'm off to post a question about the reclining back seats of his jeep cherokee to see if they can be reclined when installing a car seat or if they have to be upright.

wavegal

She is referring to the recline foot which is separate than the boot, it's a recline built into the seat which can be used ffing only and since your signature shows you had it ffing making sure it's tucked back in is important. It would also cause over recline rfing

LRutt

Yikes! I had no idea. Is there a way to tell without uninstalling? A certified tech had installed it rfing for us yesterday and he's the one who put the rfing boot on it, so I'm assuming it's ok, but want to make sure. I attempted to reinstall today to get it more upright bc from everything I read and what everyone had said, it wouldn't be hard to do. Boy was I wrong! Haha. If I can figure out how to post a I true here again, I will.

LRutt

image.jpg

We'll see if this works. The purple mitten shows where the seat starts and how much it moves side to side. Only moves a hair at the belt path. Can you tell from these if the recline positioned thingy you guys were talking about is ok?

wavegal

It looks like the recline foot is in rear face mode so that shouldn't be an issue. Movement away from the belt path isn't an issue, anything an inch or less is acceptable at the beltpath so sounds like your fine

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC