86 Y harness came in and bought Graco Air Booster

magoose

Late this afternoon the 86Y harness came in so I quickly installed it on one of the exsisting tether points and had DH and DD 10 try just the harness for me.

Then tonight I bought the Graco Air Booster at Babies R Us with a ten dollar off card I still had. I installed it in the parking lot and it looks promising. Nobody sat in it yet becasue by the time I came home from shopping, 10:00pm, DS 8 was sleeping.

I also had DH check on replacing the tether anchor with the 86Y hardware as I would like some of the older children to use the harness if the booster is not being used by DS8. We have a passenger van with lap only belts. DS should be fine on the tether bolt that is in the car up to 80lb. DH did not sound to encouraging about replacing it by himself so we might bring the van in to have it done. Now I have the harness in I would like older children or adults to use that if it is available so I want to go ahead and already install the 86 Y hardware for a higher rated tether weight.

Sofar the harness is not hard to get in and out of at all. you just unbuckle the lap belt where you normally do and slip the harness over one shoulder and the head. No adjusting or unsnapping of chest clips. It will only need to be adjsuted if a different size person sits there. The few people that tried just sitting in the car with with the harness only were very comfortable.

Anna

ADS

magoose

I am waiting for an 86Y for my 8 yo. I am glad it is easy to get in and out of.

Are you planning to use it with a booster also? I tried little dude 8 in it and he really liked it. The Graco Air booster also appears stable where I have it. Little brother 5 wants a seat like that too and he fits in it but I like him in his FP Futura which has another yr on it.

Anna

magoose

Here are pictures with the boys in the 86Y harness and a Graco Air Booster.

DS grey T-shirt just turned 8.
58-59lb weight
17 1/2 inch torso
53 inches tall

DS blue T-shirt 5 1/2 yr old.
48lb weight
16 1/2 inch torso
46 1/2 inches tall
I don't plan to use this seat for him as the FP Futura still has 1 yr on it and he still fits the FP Futura.

I did not adjust the harness for DS 5 after DS 8 sat in the seat. The harness clip can't go any lower.

Anna

Last edited:

squirtsmum

I have a question about the harness. I have my 8 yo DS in the Monarch booster seat. I had him in the Husky and had to replace it when we were rear ended this summer. I only have 1 tether anchor in my van and I have my 5 yo DS in the Como tethered there. Would I be better trying the harness with my 8 yo and not tethering my 5 yo? Can I use the harness with the Monarch? I would not get aother booster because I like the SIP in the Monarch and he really likes the seat. My 8 yo weighs 56 lbs. if that helps. Thanks

magoose

I choose to give the tether to the child in the booster else that child would end up in a lap only. I think a Radian does also well without a tether. I was told there are two seats that work with the 86Y harness, lap only belt and no head support, Graco Air Booster and another Graco booster seat. Also you might notice the 86 Y harness does not go through the red belt postioners. You need a booster that does not interfer with how the 86 Y harness works. I would call 86Y harness people and ask about the booster you want to use. There are people on this board who are more experienced and knowledgeable with the use of the 86Y harness and a booster. Hopefully you will get some responses.

Also what is the booster seat on right now? If you have a lap shoulder belt you will not need the 86Y harness for it to work. In my case I have many lap shoulder belts and no booster will work on that.

Anna

I have a question about the harness. I have my 8 yo DS in the Monarch booster seat. I had him in the Husky and had to replace it when we were rear ended this summer. I only have 1 tether anchor in my van and I have my 5 yo DS in the Como tethered there. Would I be better trying the harness with my 8 yo and not tethering my 5 yo? Can I use the harness with the Monarch? I would not get aother booster because I like the SIP in the Monarch and he really likes the seat. My 8 yo weighs 56 lbs. if that helps. Thanks

squirtsmum

He is in a postion with a lap/shoulder belt now. Does the harness only work with a lap only belt? Is it safer to use the harness then a lap/shoulder belt or are they both about the same?

magoose

He is in a postion with a lap/shoulder belt now. Does the harness only work with a lap only belt? Is it safer to use the harness then a lap/shoulder belt or are they both about the same?

I think you can use it with a lap shoulder belt but my main reason to end up with an 86 Y harness was because our one van has mainly lap only blets. Many people use it for that reason but I believe I have also seen it on their site with a lap shoulder belt for children that need additional harnessing. Ofcourse you would still need the tether so it would not help you in that way. If your DS 8 sits well in the lap shoulder belt and booster I would probably let the other child keep the tether for the como. I am no tech and hopefully others will speak up. Anna

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Looks great! Thanks for posting; I'm so glad you like it. :thumbsup:

Don't worry about the "chest" clip - it bugged me at first, too, but it's not supposed to be any higher. It works exactly opposite of a carseat's harness, so it's supposed to be lower! It keeps the loops from falling down on either side of the hips.

Also, the first pic you posted looks a bit tight (it's possible it's just the angle of the picture, though). I kept trying to do this, too, though. Remember it's not the same as a carseat harness, and isn't supposed to be as tight.

To squirtsmom - the 86Y is a good option for lap-belt-only seating positions, but it's not really ideal for much else. There are just typically other options that are better. As long as your 8 yo is secured with a lap/shoulder belt in booster seat, I would not generally recommend taking the tether anchor from another child just to give him a harness.

squirtsmum

Debbie,
Thanks for the information. I felt bad replacing my sons Husky with a booster because he loved the Husky so much but I could not see buying that for an 8yo. He likes the Monarch too but I thought if the Harness would make it safer, it would be worth looking into. I will leave well enough alone right now. Karen

magoose

Also, the first pic you posted looks a bit tight (it's possible it's just the angle of the picture, though). I kept trying to do this, too, though. Remember it's not the same as a carseat harness, and isn't supposed to be as tight.

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for all your help. Not sure if I could have figured it all out without you guiding me through this maize. Thank you also for your compasion and understanding. Some people seem to jump the gun and do not realize we do not have many if any options if a vehicle is stuck with lap belts and no head support.

Also thank you for pointing out I do not need to have it as thight as the harness in a seat. This might be nice for little dude's neck. Again DS was so ready to try this set up especially after seeing your bigger kids. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Anna

Defrost

Debbie,
Thanks for the information. I felt bad replacing my sons Husky with a booster because he loved the Husky so much but I could not see buying that for an 8yo. He likes the Monarch too but I thought if the Harness would make it safer, it would be worth looking into. I will leave well enough alone right now. Karen

Yeah, if you had a tether anchor available, I'd say go for it - I do like the way my 9 year old has more "wiggle" room with the 86Y than with a lap/shoulder belt, as it moves with him if he leans sideways, but still keeps him from leaning forward. But it is rather tiresome to buckle (when using the 86Y with a lap/shoulder belt, you have to use a locking clip, and he can't buckle himself with it on there), and I think the tether anchor is more important for the carseat. :twocents:

Kat_Momof3

well... I know what I'm doing for my 3rd row center seat when ruthie outgrows the Radian and we need someone to use that spot... heck... she WILL use that spot... I'm really not thinking she'll be ready for a booster at 6 like the boys... and she's growing more torso and taller faster than they were.

I wonder if it will work with the SK monterey booster?

also... one other concern... it looks like the lapbelt is riding high on the 8yo... and the chest clip is too low on both (should be at armpits) or did it look better IRL ... maybe also him wearing a long shirt or something.... that just makes it look like that??

Defrost

I wonder if it will work with the SK monterey booster?

Hmm... not sure. I'm looking at a pic but it's hard to tell. The 86Y could be routed OVER the headrest IF it's all the way down, but would have to go under it if it were raised at all, and I can't find a pic of the Monterey with the headrest raised.

also... one other concern... it looks like the lapbelt is riding high on the 8yo... and the chest clip is too low on both (should be at armpits)

I pointed this out already, actually. Loosening the harness should help with it being pulled too high, but keep in mind it tends to look like it's pulling up in any case. It's just the way the harness draws the eye. I've taken pics of my kids with & without the harness, and the lapbelt is in the same position, but it LOOKS higher with the harness.

Also, the clip on the 86Y works backwards - because the top of the harness, behind the child, is "closed" and the bottom is "open," the clip needs to ride lower to prevent the loops at the bottom from slipping sideways next to the hips. In a carseat, it's the other way around, of course. :)

magoose

also... one other concern... it looks like the lapbelt is riding high on the 8yo... and the chest clip is too low on both (should be at armpits) or did it look better IRL ... maybe also him wearing a long shirt or something.... that just makes it look like that??

Yes, DS 8 grey T-shirt is wearing a very long shirt. LOL Some one gave it to him and he loves it as it has a dragon on it. Actually the seat belt is snug and not riding up. I checked him realy well. The 5 yr old just slipped in the same spot and the lap belt is riding up a little as it is not all the way snug and pulled tight. He just wanted to sit in big brother's new seat and also wanted to be in the pictures. ~smile~

As Debbie explained in a post above the chest clip thingy is not for the chest area or to keep the seat belts pulled together at the top but to space the harness at the bottom. It needs to be lower instead of high up. I know it feels weird to do that but it is to position the harness in relation to the lap belt not to hold the harness over the shoulders. It is a whole other beast then a 5 pt harnessed seat. I hope that I make sense.

Thanks for looking and giving feedback. DS should do his maiden voyage in his new seat set up tonight.

Anna

Kat_Momof3

Yeah, I saw what Debbie said and it made total sense.

I figured he was wearing a long shirt... my oldest loves shirts to be big on him and loves dragons, too!

the monterey booster is like the Monarch... but deeper, goes taller, has taller armrests, and expands in the body support area for shoulder width.
sounds like it should... it's the one I'd want as I have no headrest in the middle seat of that bench, either.

So basically I dread anyone sitting there.

We hope to have a new (at least to us) van with all shoulderbelts by the time Ruthie outgrows the Radian... but you never know if that will be for sure until it's happened, kwim??

magoose

the monterey booster is like the Monarch... but deeper, goes taller, has taller armrests, and expands in the body support area for shoulder width.
sounds like it should... it's the one I'd want as I have no headrest in the middle seat of that bench, either.

So basically I dread anyone sitting there.

We hope to have a new (at least to us) van with all shoulderbelts by the time Ruthie outgrows the Radian... but you never know if that will be for sure until it's happened, kwim??

Yes, the Monteray looks promising. It think it is mainly that the booster can be used without a head rest and also that it does not interfer with the 86 Y harness.

Seats without head rest and or tether are a PITA. I know exactly what you mean about not wanting anyone to sit there. I don't want any more vehicles that have a seat without head support and lap shoulder belt and I think I will add tether also. Our large van has no head rests or shoulder belts except for the two front captain chairs. I am looking to get atleast 6 seats on 86 Y harness. Unfortunatley many of my children have outgrown boosters so even if I can get the 86 Y harness retro fitted to help with the no shoulder belt, they still have no head support. Bleh!

I don't know if you need full size passenger van but if looking for a mini van Toyota Sienna newer models has lap shoulder and head support in all seats and tether in most seats.

Anna

Anna

Kat_Momof3

I've got a minivan... dodge caravan.
it's the middle seat in the third row that has no headrest... and only a lapbelt... it does have a tether, so that's good... but I can't put Ruthie there until she'll behave better being there... she's only 3.5yrs old... so putting her in the 3rd row by herself or with one of the boys is not an option right now... when she gets impatient, we have to remind her to stay buckled and she does throw fits sometimes.

when my niece and nephew visit, I have 5 kids in the van, so next time they come, she'll have to ride there... all the other 4 have outgrown my britax laptop that is her spare in my dh's car.

So I'll put her Radian there for those times... but that's still only going to work till she outgrows it.

So I was thinking get the tallest booster I can and an 86y harness if we don't have a different van by then.... cause we're not trading it in since it's a great van... until we can get one with all shoulderbelts.

Then I want a toyota (unless she's still using the Radian or one of the new caravans that have all shoulderbelts (2008 and younger) or a honda odyssey.

but if she's already in a booster by then, then I'd like to get the 8passenger Sienna.

laccaycol

Where did you order your 86-Y harness from? I never got mine eventhough they charged me $86.45 it already came out of my account. I ordered from safer transport. I got it off kyle miller website. I have tried calling and emails but nothing. I ordered back in april. whenever i call nobody answers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC