Question Locking clip position check

Dorothy

Is this acceptable?
20130815_121014_zps82933314.jpg

20130815_121039_zpsf66c3c94.jpg

Only one trip to town and it was already way tilted for some reason. So, I decided to try the locking clip.

I can lightly lock the belt still, can't I? I know DS will play with it if I don't.

Posted using the app. :)

ADS

Dorothy

Thank you. I wasn't sure if it was too close to both the latch plate and edge of the belt path.

Just to clarify, can I still lightly lock the shoulder belt?

featherhead

Thank you. I wasn't sure if it was too close to both the latch plate and edge of the belt path.

Just to clarify, can I still lightly lock the shoulder belt?

You can put it as close as you like to the latch plate, within a1/2 inch or 1 inch. I think some seats specify within 1/2 inch. And it's not on the edge of the belt path either.

I personally would not lock the shoulder belt.

Jeni-GAcpst

I don't know... The locking clip does look awfully close to the corner of the belt path to me.
Locking clip near the buckle is great.
Locking clip above the belt path may be a concern. I'd like a senior tech to weigh in because I had a similar install myself and it was not okay'ed. I don't mean to question featherhead, but I do want to be certain that you have an optimal install.

Thanks for your patience!

Dorothy

I appreciate the extra looks. I've only used a locking clip a couple of times before, and it was a straightforward .5" from the latch plate, not encroaching on the belt path.

Obviously, I could move the locking clip away from the latch plate and fully into the belt path. That would make it a good 3-4" from the latch plate, though.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This is on the edge of my comfort level. If the locking clip is holding the belt at a fixed length and isn't putting extra pressure on the belt path then I'd be ok with it.

This is really a situation that is best evaluated in person though - there are some things that you really need to touch and see in person to be able to give a definite yes or not to.

Dorothy

Hmmm... I'm think I'm going to remove the locking clip and hope for the best where the tipping is concerned.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I think it is acceptable the way you have it, provided nothing contrary in the owner's manuals, of course, and as long as it is not loosening over time for some reason (like if the locking clip moves up to the belt path so the seatbelt comes out at a right angle).

If you need the seat a little tighter and can get it to reach with a shorter belt, I think it would also accomplish the purpose even if the locking clip was completely in the belt path, provided it was still within roughly an inch of the latchplate. One-inch is a rule of thumb. For example, if it was 1.5 inches away and there was no other option, it's not going to be a problem. The concept is to make it clear that it needs to be as close to the buckle as possible, and definitely not on the opposite side. Again, provided this is not contrary to any instructions.

See also:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=242926

On the other hand, some experts tout that you can generally avoid using a locking clip at all if you have any locking device in your vehicle, even in the case of tilt issues with rear-facing carseats. I think that is perhaps a little idealistic, but maybe they are right and there is a way to do so with just the locking retractor and some elbow grease and avoid excessive tilt?

Dorothy

Tightness isn't a problem. Its just the tilting that was bothering me. I am going to try and reinstall without the locking clip and see what happens. If it c tips again tomorrow, I'll be back with pics.

This has been installed on the passenger side for a while and hasnt tipped. I find it puzzling that its tipping now that its on the driver's side.

Dorothy

I'm back. This is what happened after just two trips:
20130816_160713_zps06f848d2.jpg

20130816_160410_zps4ff643cd.jpg

Its a tight install but not rock-the-truck solid. I guess when we bounce up and down our bumpy road, it works out what little slack is left, huh? A little tilting I would try to overlook, but this amount is driving both DS and myself a bit crazy. Any ideas?

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Not unusual at all to have that happen with a locked retractor and a Radian.

Have you tried twisting the buckle stalk down to give a tad more room for the locking clip? And I would not switch the belt when using the locking clip, even lightly.

As for why it happens on one side and not the other - some sort of different belt geometry or bight geometry happening? Your child climbing in and out differently and tweaking it somehow? One of those mysteries we may never solve :)

Dorothy

Buckle stalks are rigid. :( The seat is different for a couple of reasons. We have hardly used this position for car seats, so the cushion is firmer. Also, the split is nearer the passenger side. Although, I would expect that to make tipping worse on the passenger side. Hmmm...

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I am not surprised.

Try this. Install the seat with a locking clip, BUT do it from the center with the door closed. Close the door, push the seat as far over as you can and install it. You may gain some belt length for the locking clip. Open the door and test for movement, of course. :)

Dorothy

Could you try installimg just a touch closer to center?

I currently have it as close to the buckle as I could get it.
I am not surprised.

Try this. Install the seat with a locking clip, BUT do it from the center with the door closed. Close the door, push the seat as far over as you can and install it. You may gain some belt length for the locking clip. Open the door and test for movement, of course. :)

I will try that. If I could gain just 1", I think the locking clip positioning would look quite a bit better.

Dorothy

Okay, I tried movingbit towards the door to gain more room for the locking clip. Unfortunately, bthe outer bolster on the bottom seat cushion made it just as tiped over as the previous locked retractor pic. :( So, I just reinstalled again (thanks to needing the tool kit from behind the seat back when DS' s balance bike wheel came loose at the park). I tried scooting it more towards the buckle. I gingerly knelt in the seat with both knees and did the unbuckle-retract-buckle trick to try and get all the slack out of the seatbelt. (As an aside, I realized after I was finished that there was someone watching from the next car over and suddenly became aware how strange it all must have looked.)
20130829_090941_zpsb462ae40.jpg

20130829_090812_zpsfdc410fc.jpg

20130829_090722_zpsda254c48.jpg

I wish I could have gotten it more towards the buckle stalk, but the male end of the buckle angles outward. Only time (and a couple of trips up and down the bumpy road) will tell if I gained anything.

ETA: Sorry for all the typos!

Last edited:

Dorothy

Vent: Its tipped. Again. Aaaaaahhhhhhh!!! Curse you, bolsters and belt geometry! Oh how I wish I had kept the MR and tried to eek out every last ounce of weight and smidge of height. Please remind me how crazy it would be to buy a new rfing seat for a 39", 37# 3.5 yo for the next 6-8 mos. Grrr!

Sent using the app. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC