Radian still too reclined with adjuster

Sertsa

We drive a 2012 Acura TSX, and I bought my 2-year-old a Radian RXT. She thinks the seat is the best thing ever, so I want to make it work RFing!

I have it installed with the angle adjuster behind the front passenger, but the recline still appears to be 45 degrees. I think the problem is that the seats are a bit bucket-like, so the gap where I have to put the toes of the boot are a few inches above the actual seat level. The AA just brings it up level. Two AAs would be perfect, but I'm guessing not ok.

There isn't much leg room in front for my tiny self and I have zero gap between the front passenger seat and hers. I need men to be able to sit there too! I see other people manage to have it more upright. I read one review where it was "out of bight" to make that happen. What does that mean? Do the toes need to go in the gap?

middle seat is soon to be used for an infant seat, so I haven't tried it there.

Thanks!

ADS

creideamh

I'm not familiar with your car, but the "toes" of the RF boot do not have to go in the seat bight "gap", as long as the front part of the seat (like where the adjuster strap is to loosen/tighten the harness) is in contact with the back of the vehicle seat. So you can rest the toes on the bottom of the vehicle seat and try installing like that. HTH!

Sertsa

Thanks for the help. I played with taking the toes out of the gap. Is this what you meant? Has Diono said somewhere that this is okay? The install feels just as secure and the edge of the seat still touches the seat back. The forum doesn't seem to like me posting all my photos in one post, even though they are little.

Our car's back seat:
97a115e3-918c-4613-9788-51281bdaf0c0_zps1803b31c.jpg

Old install with the toes in the gap:
ddc1af09-1c18-4a74-9967-066fd2a3877b_zps33d34023.jpg

Sertsa

New install with toes on seat bottom (before I fastened the latch connector so you can see better):
5fdf7c1d-d7f9-4419-b77b-681ef4805222_zps9c2e7c2c.jpg

Before and After. I've gained 3-4 inches for the front seat. Plenty of room for myself. My dad might still be squished, but it is a compact car.
beforeandafter_zpsc78d7772.jpg

Jessica61624

There was a huge thead about this while back. I would email diono for the final answer.

When you tighten are you pushing down were the feet go?

creideamh

Yup, that's how my mom's Forester is, and the only way to get the Radian in is to leave the toes on the actual seat. I've been told repeatedly here and by Diono that it's okay, but it's always best to hear it straight from the source :)

Sertsa

I found the super long thread, which just made me worried about it. Anyway, I sent my question to Diono. Sounds like it's the case with a bunch of Japanese cars.

Gidgetc13

My Forester has a back seat that looks like yours. I install my Radians with the feet of the base on the actual seat instead of up in the gap, like you did with your new install. It didn't make sense to me to put the toes of the base up in that gap because the part of the seat that is between the actual seat and that gap is really flimsy, I can bend it by pushing on it gently with my hand. I didn't feel like it was stable enough to rest part of my car seat on it. The front of the seat still touches the back of the vehicle seat when I put the toes of the base on the actual seat, so I always thought this was fine, and I feel like it is a better install. However, I have seen posts on here that say you are supposed to put the toes in the gap. I'm glad to see a tech say it is ok to install the way I do. I'm interested to hear what Diono has to say.

diono

:dance:Hi there,

I am the CPS Advocate for Diono. Our engineer has approved this type of installation for vehicles with the seat geometry of a high seat bight, as long as you can attain a tight installation at the belt path.

If you have further questions, you are welcome to contact me directly at 855-463-4666 ext 252. Please keep in mind, I travel often and will return your call just as soon as I can.

Thanks for keeping your child safe and especially for purchasing a Radian!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC