Mazda CX5

shinaynay17

Hubby and I decided it was time for a new SUV. I have currently 2 snugrides (one 32 one 35) and a radian. All seats are rear facing. I was planning on having 2 guide 65' ((so excited to have blue ones!!) and the radian in the middle. As of right now I don't have the guide 65's, wanted the boys to outgrow the infant seats first! Has anyone played with a 2013 Mazda CX5 to know how carseat friendly these are. I wanted something shorter then my trailblazer. I test drove the CX5 and fell in love with it! The car sales guy said it was carseat friendly but I don't think he understood that I wanted to get three rear facing kids back their. I had brought my stroller and it fits with tons of room to spare but I didn't want to buy the seats to see if they would work! Please help. I would love to get a smaller vehicle for my family soon!!

ADS

mevs mom

We looked at the CX5 but I can't imagine getting three boosters back there after they outgrow the harnesses. Or even one booster and two harnessed seats.

I looked at the 2012/2013 Mazda 5 and I really like the idea of it. But the cx5 is SO dreamy looking.

Ali

We have one. The middle seat is essentially useless due to width and the wonky way the seatbelt is. I couldn't even fit a BubbleBum there.

canadiangie

It's adorable, but itty bitty. And as pp mentioned, the middle seating position is designed in a way that's less than ideal for car seats.

shinaynay17

I love the idea of the van but really the ones we looked at were only 6 seaters 2 seats each row. My stroller would never fit in the trunk and then I would have the issue of having to get passed 2 rear facing seats to put a kid in the back. That just did not work. I love the look of cx5. Any chance that the cx7 or cx9 are any better car seat wise. I am hoping boostering is around 6-7 years off. At the rate my boys are gaining weight they will be in boosters before their big sister and by booster age I'll probably be ready for a mini van!

canadiangie

You don't need a van, you just need a slightly bigger SUV. :)

Are you planning on keeping the three kids side by side in the 2nd row of whatever you buy? Do you forsee needing a 3rd row at any point? (More seating flexibility, room for extra passengers, etc). What stroller do you have?

shinaynay17

I have a valco tri mode double stroller, then I have all the extras the 3rd seat, and about 8 other attachments for it. Hubby and I haven't planned on having any more but who knows if that will change. Any suggestions for really nice all wheel drive SUVs that is good on gas and fits three car seats across. Seeing as I haven't bought the guide 65's I could always find different seats that work for my chubby little guys. I don't want to replace the radian as I got it last month. Would love to keep them in 1 row as 3 across for approximately 3-5 years if possible.

canadiangie

With the right seats a 7 passenger Subaru Tribeca might work.

I like to suggest vehicles with car seat friendly 3rd rows, because you just never know when you'll need to put a kid back there, at least in my experience. Tribeca is one of only a handful with tether anchors 3rd row.

The gas friendly requirement is where I get stumped...

Hmmm, I guess a 7 passenger SanteFe could work, with the right seats. You'd have a 3rd row, but only for in a pinch situations as there are no tether strap anchors back there.

Hyundai Veracruz as well. Bigger than SanteFe, but no tether anchors 3rd row.

Cx7 and 9 are fine, but the 2nd row middle seating position can be a little bit challenging. No tether anchors in 3rd row. Not sure about fuel economy. I'm guessing just average.

Ford Flex is one I'd consider if I liked the appearance. Very car seat friendly, decent gas mileage.

I'll keep thinking.. Need to make supper now. :)

hkllgg

I am going to second the Flex. Our Snugride 32 fit very well behind the driver seat, and I can also fit the Radian (or a marathon) there, with plenty of room for my 6'2 hubby to put the seat back as far as he would like. I could see doing the 3 kids in the middle row, and even leaving the back seats down for stroller etc.

shinaynay17

I wasn't to fond of the flex when I looked at it although it was an older one so maybe the newer ones look better. I am really hoping to not need tether anchors for a long time my oldest is now 19 months and still at a whopping 22lbs has not gained even an ounce since her baby brothers were born. Her brothers are at around 19 pounds (ones just over 19 the other is 18) at 6 months!! Hoping they stop gaining so fast as the little chubbers are heavy in the infant seats. I will go to the Subaru dealership on Saturday with hubby.

Fuel economy is key. I do a 6 hour drive every 2 weeks and I don't want to be paying 200$ for each trip just for gas.

After toyotas recall a few years ago the Toyotas are out and Hyundai is never my first choice but if I need to I will look at them.

The only other kids I've ever taken in my SUV were my friends 2 kids. They are almost the same ages as mine her boy is18 months and her other one is 3 months and it was such a pain having 5 rear facing kids in it i would not like to do that again lol.

The ford escape caught my eye when I only had 1 kiddo and was looking for a car but I'm thinking that would definitely be too small now.

Thinking I might want to convince my man to look into vans as well but from what I see the Honda odyssey can't fit 3 across well, the dodge caravan isn't recommended and I don't even know if they come in 3 across. Mazda 5 I don't believe comes in 3 across.

So frustrated with this new vehicle thing wanted to make my life easier but I really don't know if there is an easier way:(

canadiangie

Subaru Tribeca was second on my list after Honda Pilot, which, on your case I would not consider since its dreadful on gas. Tribeca 7 passenger are harder to find than the 5 passenger models.

The new Ford version of the Mazda 5 is supposed to have a bench in the 2nd row. My mind is blank on the model name.

I know you don't like Hyundai/Kia but they've got a few models that could probably meet your needs. Can't hurt to go look.

canadiangie

Subaru Tribeca was second on my list after Honda Pilot, which, on your case I would not consider since its dreadful on gas. Tribeca 7 passenger are harder to find than the 5 passenger models.

The new Ford version of the Mazda 5 is supposed to have a bench in the 2nd row. My mind is blank on the model name.

I know you don't like Hyundai/Kia but they've got a few models that could probably meet your needs. Can't hurt to go look.

I do think that you are going to need fairly narrow seats for the babies. In the long run it might make the most sense to have three radians.

canadiangie

Lol, I quoted myself. Serves me right for trying to post from my phone with a toddler in my arms.

Anyway, radians. You might need three.

hkllgg

The new Ford model that is like the Mazda 5 is the C-Max. I was looking at that to replace my Kia Rio5. We were not going to have another kid when we bought the Rio. Lol

shinaynay17

Subaru Tribeca works!! Loved the way it drove. We are still undecided on whether or not to get a 5 passenger or 7 passenger. It would be nice to have the extra 2 seats but it gets rid of all the trunk space:( next week we will look once more at a few other places but if we don't fall in love with a different SUV the Tribeca will work for us!

TXDani

Senior Community Member
After toyotas recall a few years ago the Toyotas are out and Hyundai is never my first choice but if I need to I will look at them.
:(

Are you aware the whole Toyota recall was a sham? None of the so-called stuck accelerators were actually stuck accelerators. Unfortunately, the media didn't blast this important info like they did when they thought it was Toyotas fault. Do some research before you write off a whole company...especially one with such a great reputation for their vehicles.

Last edited:

SavsMom

TXDani said:
Are you aware the whole Toyota recall was a sham? None of the so-called stuck accelerators were actually stuck accelerators. Unfortunately, the media didn't blast this important info like they did when they thought it was Toyotas fault. Do done research before you write off a whole company...especially one with such a great reputation for their vehicles.

Yep. I worked at a Toyota dealer during this time. We had sold 10k of the vehicles affected by the recall, we did not have a single incident of a stuck gas pedal, zero complaints from any customers. The NHTSA actually came out and said it could not duplicate the issue and that it was very likely driver error....but that story never made mainstream media.

bubbaray

Are you aware the whole Toyota recall was a sham? None of the so-called stuck accelerators were actually stuck accelerators. Unfortunately, the media didn't blast this important info like they did when they thought it was Toyotas fault. Do done research before you write off a whole company...especially one with such a great reputation for their vehicles.

This

I bought a Toyota during the height of the recall panic. It was so ludicrous.

I have only ever owned imports. I : *pinksparklyheartlove* my Toyota and hands down they have the best quality and CS. I'm totally sold.

shinaynay17

Ill most definitely have to look into the Toyota thing. So what SUV is awd through Toyota that can fit 3 car seats rear facing across comfortably? I have 1 radian for the three across the other 2 seats are up in the air as I haven't purchased for my boys yet?

Needs to have tons of trunk room for my big stroller, good fuel economy, and lots of room for hubby and I to fit in the front without feeling squished!!

We are only looking at brand new as we put way to many miles on a vehicle to buy used. We bought our trailblazer 17 months ago and have put over 50,000km on. We bought it with 150,000 now are getting rid of it cause it has to many km.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC