2004 Pontiac Grand AM LATCH install

Nisha

Does anybody know if you can install with LATCH in the center back seat of a 2 door 2004 Pontiac Grand AM? It's for my sister and she's just moved her 7 month old to her convertable seat but the manual doesn't really say!

I installed it on the passenger side for now to be on the safe side but thought I'd ask!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, even the LATCH manual (the carseat bible, lol) says it defers to the child restraint manual. If the child restraint manual doesn't say, then I'm not sure...I guess she should call them? (This is the massive downfall of LATCH... it's more than likely totally safe, but we need the manuals' approval for everything :( )

Nisha

Hmmm, I'll have to find out if she even has the manual for the car seat! (It's not with the car seat, and might be lost for awhile since they are in between 2 moves!)

Mae

Ok, I know this thread is old, but I've been taught to search before posting. So I did. I too, have an '04 Grand Am (4 door if that matters) and I've read the vehicle manual to see if I can install with LATCH in the center, but it shows the two outboard spots as LATCH locations (I guess you'd put it that way). When you said to refer to the car seat manual, how do you know if its allowed in the center? I'm just a little confused. And why is it up to the car seat whether or not you can install in there. Its up to the car, not the car seat, when installing it to protect your child.

My manual says specifically, word for word...

Your vehicle has the LATCH system. You will find anchors (A) in the rear outside seat positions.

This system, designed to make installation of child restraints easier, does not use the vehicles safety belts. Instead, it uses the vehicle anchors (A, B) and child restraints attachments to secure the restraints. Some restraints also use another vehicle anchor to secure a top tether strap (C). In order to use the LATCH system in your vehicle, you need a child restraint designed for that system.

So can I LATCH in the center, or not? I'm confused about the whole having to check your car seat manual thing.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
GM allows borrowing of the outboard lower LATCH anchors to install in the center if the carseat manufacturer also allows it, either as stated in the carseat manual if there's a blurb in there about allowable lower LATCH anchor spacing for installing the child restraint, or if you post the specific child restraint brand and model for someone to do a LATCH manual lookup to check on center LATCH installations for that child restraint. Think of LATCH and the vehicle in terms of a system where the child restraint and the vehicle function together to protect the child, and then it makes more sense about both the restraint and the vehicle manufacturer needing be on the same page about allowing center lower LATCH installations. :)

Mae

Well I'm wondering about a RF AO.. There would also on occasion, be a ss1 base, and sometimes a GN.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Dorel and Graco both allow borrowing outboard lower LATCH anchors to do center lower LATCH installations in vehicles that also permit it. You've got the option of installing with the seatbelt, or with lower LATCH anchors, in the center of the Grand Am, with the AO, SS1, and Nautilus. Just remember that you can't "double up" and have more than one child restraint connected to the same lower anchor in the vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC