News Peg Perego booster seat in Canada

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I had heard nothing of this seat with all the talk of the infant/child seat coming out from Peg Perego, but saw it at West Coast Kids on Thursday. They said it had just come in the week before and they were all surprised too.

Sorry no measurements, but I will post some pictures that I took with my phone of it sitting beside a Britax Parkway SGL.

Few quick points:
- $199 price point
- Belt guide on high back portion at highest setting is visibly shorter than the Parkway
- Booster is visibly narrower than the Parkway - child area doesn't seem that affected, other than the headwings being narrower but that appeared purposefully designed. The base of the booster may now be the narrowest out there visually speaking - though looks can be deceiving.
- Booster back has a warning on it that using the high back portion provides extra protection to the child in a side impact collision and it is recommended that the high back portion be used as long as possible.
- Max weight limit is 120lbs.
- The cover and padding seems very nice.
- Flexible LUAS with push-on connectors. A warning on the seat indicates that it is only for restraint stability. Single front pull strap for tightening.

I haven't seen a kid in one yet, and didn't have time to read the manual, but based on my quick exploration of the seat, I'd say the only potential downside to this seat right now is that the high back portion may not be able to be used as long as some seats. Otherwise I'm really impressed and based on a quick look at the belt guides for the hips, I expect that it's going to give a good belt fit.

ADS

tam_shops

So you like it Trudy? I saw it right after my crash and wasn't impressed w/ the shorter height and lack of SIP. It just doesn't look as substantial as I'd like it to be...I didn't realize it was new, just thought I was out of the loop! LOL

tam

snowbird25ca

I saw one at dear born baby in Ontario two weeks ago. I wasn't too crazy about it, required headrest support :(

I didn't have a chance to read the manual. I think headrest support being required is going to become more and more common actually over the next few years.

Tam - yes, it seems nice. I most definitely wouldn't consider it to lack in SIP given the headwings. :confused: I haven't seen a kid in it yet though to know what belt fit is actually like.

careynj

I had my 9 year old nephew take a quick sit in it while I read the manual a bit. Yeah, not looking forward to that. At least now there are headrests in any vehicle I have seats in.

bubbaray

The shorter back height is a deal breaker for me. I will still be recommending the PW when people ask my opinion on boosters. Nice high back, can be used without a headrest.

tiggercat

careynj said:
I had my 9 year old nephew take a quick sit in it while I read the manual a bit. Yeah, not looking forward to that. At least now there are headrests in any vehicle I have seats in.

The trouble I've been seeing lately is forward angled headrests that push the booster backrest out of contact with the vehicle seat. We used to just remove the headrest but with many boosters now requiring vehicle head restraint, I am seeing a lot more incompatibilities.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

bubbaray

tiggercat said:
The trouble I've been seeing lately is forward angled headrests that push the booster backrest out of contact with the vehicle seat. We used to just remove the headrest but with many boosters now requiring vehicle head restraint, I am seeing a lot more incompatibilities.

The PW specifically addresses this in the manual and says to remove the headrest so as to get the booster back flat against the seat.

tiggercat

bubbaray said:
The PW specifically addresses this in the manual and says to remove the headrest so as to get the booster back flat against the seat.

Yes, I am aware of that. I am specifically referring to boosters that require vehicle head restraint, and how forward jutting head restraints are causing a problem. For example, the peg, the Monterey, Dorel, recaro (?)

tam_shops

I didn't have a chance to read the manual. I think headrest support being required is going to become more and more common actually over the next few years.

Tam - yes, it seems nice. I most definitely wouldn't consider it to lack in SIP given the headwings. :confused: I haven't seen a kid in it yet though to know what belt fit is actually like.

I kind of figured the head rest thing was going to become more common and hopefully more clear in the future. I get the need if it has a good fit, but wonder about it when it doesn't make a good fit...something behind you is better than nothing, but when it requires it, makes you wonder if it could in fact be worse...

As for the SIP, sorry I meant the sides, not the head. I'll always be partial to those extra big wings the Monterey has (that's SIP also, isn't it?). If I remember right it was better than the Parkway and I liked the fabric better. It just doesn't look *that* much better than the Graco one. So, why spend over $100 (on Peg or Britax) when you can get a Graco one on sale for $50?

tam

snowbird25ca

The problem with this is that more and more vehicles have headrests that can't be removed in the backseat, and they are increasingly being designed to tilt forward or are positioned in a way that sit in front of the vehicle seat. It's becoming a more common issue for ff'ing seats as well as we get more seats with taller shells and more vehicles with headrests that can't be removed.

FWIW, I don't find the Parkway to be reliable at getting a good seatbelt fit, which is really too bad.

Someone needs to design a booster that doesn't need full vehicle back support, works ok with headrests that tilt forward, and has a great belt fit on almost every kid in almost every vehicle. But I'm sure that's a pipe dream. :p

careynj

Yep, I have a Volvo wagon, lots of forward leaning non-moveable headrest experience :(
That's a huge part of why when my parents replaced my mom's GM truck that had useless headrests they got an explorer. They headrests come out if you need them to. I actually just bought an oobr for this very reason. It's currently in my brother's van, but I don't love t there so it may move to my Volvo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC