Our Graco Size 4 Me (Pic Heavy)

Maggie

I have tried, without much success, to find something to contain my dd3's giant torso until she's at least 3 (the end of august.)

We absolutley love it! She has tons of growing room, both rear and forward!
I put in a shot of her sitting in a radian to show how much room she doesn't have it. She is NOT strapped in correctly.

552961_4205230652896_2104010682_n.jpg

Size 4 Me all the way up, hard to see since it's all black, but the top most harness slot is way up by her ears.
550528_4205233092957_1672628132_n.jpg

Cool Latch
285641_4205233532968_632794729_n.jpg

In our 06 town and country. Straps are just buckled, not tightened properly. She is on the 6th headrest position, so 2 more to go!
197794_4205234772999_833052086_n.jpg

All the way up (the headrest and her finger ;))
179977_4205235653021_624236009_n.jpg

Her in a frontier all the way up
252610_4205236053031_181547846_n.jpg

Compared to the Graco all the way up.
534171_4205236373039_1966285745_n.jpg

Fit our scary googly eyed baby very well!
251952_4205238493092_454392356_n.jpg

Lots of room between the headrest of the vehicle (mazda5) and the Graco headrest (which is all the way up) Headrest is VERY sturdy and they way it extends, I don't see a problem with it in smaller vehicles. The mazda 5 isn't huge and the seat is adjusted to where the driver usually sits. Still plenty of room.
317998_4205240173134_1150996256_n.jpg

My average height 5 year old. Too heavy (42lbs) but tons of room left for forward facing.
521354_4205241133158_1348928692_n.jpg

With the radian, radian is installed with AA.
182582_4205242733198_1274326137_n.jpg

Radian height from seat
198302_4205243573219_1955939567_n.jpg

Graco
246408_4205243973229_99824083_n.jpg

ADS

cookie123

Wow! That's a lot more height. I forget if anyone said - can all that height be used ff and rf or do they have a height limit?

Spam

thank you! Cute models. Are you comfortable going past the 40" stated height rule? That is one tall seat :) I'm waiting for more cover options... hurry up Graco!

oh and does it puzzle with the FR85?

Maggie

I have looked and looked through the entire manual and there is a 50" FF height limit but nothing anywhere about 40" rf.

Under the height and weight section it just says that the straps must be at or below the shoulder for RF and the child must be 40lbs or less. Nothing about an overall height. I've looked over and over through the manual. Haven't looked at the stickers yet though. The headrest is extremely solid. Nothing at all like the MA70 or boulevard/advocate headrest. I had a peg convertible for awhile and I can see why they didnt want you to rear face all the way to the top of the headrest. It was flimsy. This one feels like it's an extension of the shell.

Is it actually in the manual somewhere or was it just some rep that posted something somewhere on the good old internet?

Maggie

Yep, there it is. Putting it under the "Height and Weight Limits" probably would have been a good place for that....

As a tech, I can't advise a parent to go against the manual.

As a mom of a 2 year old who is 39.5" with most of it being in her torso, I will RF her past 40" because we have no other option right now and I won't turn her forward until she's at least 3. If I can save up for a foonf in a few months that might be an option for us. but right now I've made the parental choice to use it past 40" because she has way more than 1" above her head.

S

SoCalCarSeatMama

Wow! What is your dd's torso height? I'm guessing her seated height is around 23-24" based on the photo of her in the Radian.

MomToEliEm

Would you mind verify some measurements and update some missing data for the measurements/data spreadsheet?

Lowest Harness Height: 7 in. with insert; 8.5 in. w/o insert
Highest Harness Height: 17.5 in.
Shortest Buckle Position: 4 in.
Longest Buckle Position: 6 in.
Crotch Buckle Length: <data missing>
Internal Seating Depth: <data missing>
Internal Seating Height:<data missing>
Internal Bottom Width: <data missing>
Internal Shoulder Width: <data missing>
External Seat Width: 18.5 in. across back / 18 in. at cupholder / 15 in. at base
Seat Weight: 19 lbs.

Maggie

Wow! What is your dd's torso height? I'm guessing her seated height is around 23-24" based on the photo of her in the Radian.

Last time I measured her it was a bit over 16". That was about 2 months ago. She shares dresses with her 5 year old sister.

Would you mind verify some measurements and update some missing data for the measurements/data spreadsheet?

Lowest Harness Height: 7 in. with insert; 8.5 in. w/o insert
Highest Harness Height: 17.5 in.
Shortest Buckle Position: 4 in.
Longest Buckle Position: 6 in.
Crotch Buckle Length: <data missing>
Internal Seating Depth: <data missing>
Internal Seating Height:<data missing>
Internal Bottom Width: <data missing>
Internal Shoulder Width: <data missing>
External Seat Width: 18.5 in. across back / 18 in. at cupholder / 15 in. at base
Seat Weight: 19 lbs.

After the kiddies are in bed I'll head out with my tape measure and get those for you :)

MyTwoSons

oh and does it puzzle with the FR85?

RF S4M and FR85 again.jpg

RF S4M and FR85.jpg

I didn't have time tonight to uninstall and flip them around to see what it looks like on the non-cup holder side, but if you want to see it I could do that tomorrow evening. I'm still trying to decide if I want them both installed with latch (currently) or seat belt, so taking them out tomorrow is no problem as I want to play with the install method anyway.

If anyone wants any other pics just let me know. I need to figure out how to use photo bucket though!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yes, but we're not really supposed to do that. It kind of came to a head last year with the bruhaha (sp?) over the CA's 40" rule. If you opt to use it past, you're using parental discretion and going against the manual. (I'm undecided my personal stance on it, but I definitely find it very frustrating when there's gobs of shell height left, particularly since standing height is not a good measurement of torso height.)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'd be tempted to agree, but my concern is that 1" from the highest headrest position is going to be way, way taller than any 40" child will ever be. So how high did Graco test it? At what point did it fail that they put such a low limit (considering the seat's capabilities) on it?

I have a 40.5" child who rides in the seat and he has 3-4" above his head in headrest adjustment 4. I've asked this before -- and there's no satisfactory answer -- but what makes him unsafe where he is but a 39.5" kid safe in headrest adjustment 6?

That's what makes it difficult to call "parental discretion" on this one, at least out at its extremes.

featherhead

I'd be tempted to agree, but my concern is that 1" from the highest headrest position is going to be way, way taller than any 40" child will ever be. So how high did Graco test it? At what point did it fail that they put such a low limit (considering the seat's capabilities) on it?

I have a 40.5" child who rides in the seat and he has 3-4" above his head in headrest adjustment 4. I've asked this before -- and there's no satisfactory answer -- but what makes him unsafe where he is but a 39.5" kid safe in headrest adjustment 6?

That's what makes it difficult to call "parental discretion" on this one, at least out at its extremes.

:yeahthat: I would want to know which headrest positions were actually tested rear-facing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC