Vent I HATE the new Graco buckles!!!!

katymyers

WHY did the change them???? My older son's MyRide has the old buckle which I love, it's part of why I got that seat I've loved that buckle since I bought my first bucket seat three years ago for my first baby, our old SnugRide 32. My younger son's MyRide, same exact pattern just bought six months later, has the new buckle. I have literally broken my nail unbuckling that seat at least a dozen times, and I keep them short for my job so it isn't cause they're freakishly long. Tonight I broke my nail down really low and it hurts sooo bad :( not to mention I couldn't even unbuckle the seat at all cause it got stuck DH even tried and couldn't. We ended up loosening the straps as much as we could and just pulling him out. I wish I could order the old style buckle and just use it instead.

ADS

PunkyMonkey

Everyone does! I don't even know what the new ones look like but I too loved the old ones and probably won't buy a new Graco ever for this reason!!!! Sorry your nail broke, that's one of those awful, painful, annoying things! :-(

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse autocorrects!

CuddlyMonsters

That is one of those things "if it ain't broke" why change it? Graco kind of out thought themselves on the new buckle that is nobody seems to like...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They changed it because all they heard about the old buckles were complaints, especially that it was too easy for kids to undo.

If you don't like the new one, you need to call and register a complaint about it, and maybe if they get enough they'll consider changing again.

OP, if you broke a nail and couldn't get it undone, I would DEFINITELY call and log a complaint about that. That shouldn't happen. :(

Ninetales

Everyone doesn't hate them. I don't have any problem with them. I have one MR with an old one and another with a new one and there's no difference in ease of use for me.

tiggercat

I haven't noticed much difference, but then I've only really demonstrated buckling and unbuckling dolls with them so far. If you were physically unable to unbuckle it, I would contact the company. It shouldn't be that hard for a parent to operate.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Brianna

OP, are you pushing at the top to unbuckle?

My issue with the new buckle is how hard it is to buckle.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

whiteyacht

I have a terrible time undoing our old style buckle on the Nautilus, but just played with a new My Ride and thought it was like any other buckle. Weird!

mominabigtruck

I got rid of my mr because I couldn't undo the buckle. My dh said it was because I wear long acrylic nails but I have a dozen other seats that I have no problem unbuckling. My dad had to unbuckle it once because I couldn't get it and even he thought it was hard, especially compared to their efta.
Posted via Mobile Device

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Ninetales said:
Everyone doesn't hate them. I don't have any problem with them. I have one MR with an old one and another with a new one and there's no difference in ease of use for me.

:yeahthat: And I love how it buckles. The tongues need a harder press but they click in very definitively.

As for the OP's stuck buckle, this happened to us many times in our MR with the OLD buckle! There was something sketchy with the inside mechanism that would cause the tongues to not release.

One thing to check is if there is something inside your buckle like dirt or crumbs, interfering with its function. If the crotch strap is removable on the new MRs, I'd remove it and turn it upside down and tap it and also run it under clear water.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

babyherder

They are hard to undo but I have an almost 3 year old escaper in the myride now. I'm soooo thankful the buckle is hard to undo.

scariestone

Which are the new and which are the old? Our GN has a buckle you just push down to release and I'm guessing this is the old style. What is the new style like?

whiteyacht

Which are the new and which are the old? Our GN has a buckle you just push down to release and I'm guessing this is the old style. What is the new style like?

Sounds like the old style. Our 2011 GN has a round buckle that you push down on to undo. The 2012 MR I played with has a more squarish buckle that you just push in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The old one you push down on an indentation at the bottom of the buckle. The new one has a flat red button and you push in at the top of the red button, as the button pivots at the bottom edge so pushing anywhere else makes it difficult to open.

Haley.h87

I am obviously the minority in that I really love the new buckle! Our Nautilus has an old one and I actually wish it had the newer one on it instead. Both of our Myrides have the new buckle and I really love them!

kaitlyn727

What are the differences between new and old? I know that with our new SR30 you have to push the button fairly hard to get it to unbuckle. Does that mean its a new buckle?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Kaitlyn<3 said:
What are the differences between new and old? I know that with our new SR30 you have to push the button fairly hard to get it to unbuckle. Does that mean its a new buckle?

Look a few posts up, I answered that.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

scariestone

Ah, yeah we have an old buckle. Thank goodness. I looked on graco's website to see the new one and it looks like a PITA. Though when I push the button on ours one tong usually gets hung up. Still far better than mashing both my thumbs into our radian buckle and still having it not open. :rolleyes:

vlabrams

My Wife had problem pushing in the Red button so I "invented" a tool for that which will be on Amazon in about 5 weeks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC