Question "Plus One" Diono RXT RF in 07 Honda Odyssey

H

helpinmichigan

Is it safe to remove both captain's chairs in an 07 Honda Odyssey and install a RF Diono RXT in the "plus one" seat using the seat belt that extends from the ceiling?

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
You've got me a tad curious about why you would want to remove both captain's chairs. I know sometimes it helps access to the third row if you have passengers in the third row but removing one second row captain's chair can generally help with that without removing both. Anyhow, unless there's something in the Odyssey's owner's manual forbidding removing both of the second row captain's chairs, particularly when using the plus one seat for a carseat installation (I can't imagine that there is but you know what they say about assuming and best to double check the owner's manual :)), and you're using the seatbelt designated for the plus one second row center vehicle seat to install the carseat, then go for it. This is also assuming a successful second row center install is possible in the plus one seat which isn't a given as it's a more challenging vehicle seat for installs due to its narrowness and lack of lower LATCH anchors which are sometimes friendlier for a Radian install than the vehicle seatbelt. :eek:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've never been able to get a successful install of a RF Radian in that seat, I haven't tried with the angle adjuster but I'm not sure it would help. When I tried the feet of the boot got hung up on the hinges of the seat. Not saying it's completely impossible but I'm not SURE it's compatible. (It also overreclined but the AA would fix that.)

H

helpinmichigan

Thanks for the feedback! I have not tried to install the RF RXT yet... in fact, I have never owned a Diono until yesterday, so it's still in the box. :) Here's my situation: I have 2 SCIT Frontiers in the very back row for 2 very active boys (4.5 and 3). Access to those seats on both sides of the van would be a major plus, especially since I still buckle both of them in myself (why I'd love to remove the captains chairs and only keep the plus one seat). My 6 mo old is who I need RF, and she will obviously be RF for 2+ years. So, if I can figure out how to install a RF seat that will fit between the driver and passenger front seats installed in that plus one seat, that would be the best long term solution. I'm wondering now if it's not going to be such a great solution as I have created in my mind. :)

A few questions: how do I find a certified tech in my area to help me with something like this? My car manual mentions nothing about car seat install in this seat, and I don't necessarily trust a random Honda person to help me on an 800 call. :) The other point I have heard is that if the base of the RXT is wider than the plus one seat (and this is the case... there is overhang) then I cannot safely install a car seat in that position, regardless of how tight I can get the install. If this true? If so, that answers my question about removing the captains chairs. :)

And since I'm a 5 year Chicco/Britax girl and thi sis my first Diono, any helpful links you recommend on seeing a RF RXT install? :)

THANK YOU for all of your help!!

speters

I'm not sure if this applies to the 07 model, so you will have to check it out. I have an 08 and the passenger side captain chair can slide toward the center about 6-8" when the middle plus one seat is removed. That would allow you to access the rear easily from that side and still have a full seat to use.

There should be a lateral track on the floor that you can see right off if it has the ability. The seat slides on this track in the front then snaps into anchors in the back. On the outboard base of the seat, there would be a plastic cover with a picture of a chair on it. Pull it out toward you and it will release the back of the seat from the floor. Tip the seat forward and push it toward the center, then drop it back down to the floor to the second set of anchors for the back.

mommy2girls

I agree, in that generation of Oddy you ca move a captain's chair center. I seriously doubt you will be able to a Radian RF on the plus one. A captain chair shouldn't be a problem.

Nimommyof2

I don't think I'd remove both captains chairs. But I did get the Diono to install on the plus one with the AA I have pics over in the international site of my install. I had a tech check it but without the AA it was to overreclined but did have it nice and tight little bit of movement but definitly less than an inch.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
See, for me, I thought it was tight until I noticed interference from the hinges. I wasn't comfortable with that at all. I didn't try too hard to fix it though because it was obviously overreclined anyway, and this was before angle adjusters.

Corrin

(I'm registered now, but I was originally the one who posted the ? under the name "helpinmichigan" :))

Ok guys, I *think* I have a successful RF install of the RXT in my 07 Odyssey "plus one" seat (yay!). My only question left is the angle... I read over and over in this forum about an Angle Adjuster (AA) for the Radian... this is a different piece for the seat than the RF detachable base, correct? How do I know if I need an AA? I have no idea how to check the angle of the seat-- is it as simple as posting some pics here and letting you all check it out?

I have removed both captains chairs (awesome access to my back row where I have 2 FF SCIT Frontiers) and installed the RF RXT using the seat belt. The RXT BARELY hangs over the plus one seat, only on one side. Almost a perfect fit, I was so happy. I twisted the belt stalk 1/2 a turn to get a tight seat belt install and used the tether connecting strap to tether it to the base of the inside driver side chair leg.

Any input on this AA and how I know if I need it to change the angle of the seat? My 6mo old seems fairly reclined when in the seat, but comfortable and happy.

Corrin

Sorry, jumped the gun a bit in my reply-- I see now that the AA is recommended only "For use with rear-facing radian seats and with children over 1 year of age." Does this make my 6mo old not eligible to use an AA, anyway? Again, how do I know if I need it?

EmmaGrace'sMom

I could never get an acceptable rf install. I would slide the captains chair to the more center position and install with LATCH so the seatbelt won't impede access.

emtb79

I'm just curious why you havent removed the plus-one and one of the captain's chairs and used it like that. I did that for a long time, I could climb in close the door if it was raining and buckle everyone in.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC