Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum to Ask Questions. Find help on how to pick the best infant, toddler or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles!

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
jwhitman36

jwhitman36 has disabled reputation
Rear facing in 04 Elantra

Trying to figure out what will fit in my wifes car. Our son is 8 months old, 23lbs, 32 inches long. Her car is a 04 Hyundai Elantra, not exactly the biggest rear seat! She is 6 foot and I am 6ft 4in, so space is a little limited! Trying to see what is the best for our boy! Any advise would be great, thanks!

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
EmmaCPST
CPST Instructor

EmmaCPST IS a CPS Know-It-All!EmmaCPST IS a CPS Know-It-All!EmmaCPST IS a CPS Know-It-All!EmmaCPST IS a CPS Know-It-All!EmmaCPST IS a CPS Know-It-All!EmmaCPST IS a CPS Know-It-All!EmmaCPST IS a CPS Know-It-All!
Re: Rear facing in 04 Elantra

Generally, anywhere you can fit an infant seat, you can more than easily fit a convertible seat, they sit more upright for older kids with head control so that's the good news!

With all those tall genes in the mix, I might consider a Diono Radian so your son can stay rear facing as long as possible if he continues to be tall like mom & dad through his toddler years. It has one of the tallest shells for rear facing, and with an angle adjuster it should sit upright enough that you won't be sacrificing tons of room for yourselves up front.

The Graco MyRide, Evenflo Triumph or Momentum, Safety 1st Complete Air, and First Years True Fit are all good seats that will generally get most kids rear facing to a safe forward facing age, around 3 and will take up about the same amount of space as a Radian with angle adjuster.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
wildeyes
Carseat Crazy

wildeyes is a popular Car-Seat.org writer

i have an '02 elantra, and my 2 mo old is rf in a radian 100. i have it rf tethered on the passenger side, so it tips just a tad over that way (ok to do) and the driver can go all the way back. not quite as roomy for the passenger, but my dh, who is 6'2" can sit, although i dont think he'd want to do a long trip there.

no angle adjuster yet.
DS1 2.5, 30lbs, ERF in RadianR100
wildeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
java
CPS Technician

java is a novice Car-Seat.Org journalist

radians are big seats but they love elantras! We have an 05 elantra. Here are some pics of what we have done.

radian center no angle adjuster, britax RA55 next to it, the only seats we have gotten next to each other in this car so far.

radian outboard with no angle adjust, impossible to drive this way. Symphony 65 in the back ground

Hubby sitting in front of radian with no angle adjuster, he is 5'8" or so (excuse the socks and sandles, that is not normal lol)

radian outboard with angle adjuster...MUCH better

britax RA55 outboard, lots of space!

symphony 65 outboard, great fit

We have also had an evenflo tribute and a few infant seats in it. Hope this helps

java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
jwhitman36

jwhitman36 has disabled reputation

thanks for the info

-Java- I think we have the same exact car! Color and interior and all!

We use the Elantra around town, the Xterra hauls us around otherwise as we can toss the dog in the rear!
jwhitman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
cowgirlsmommy
CPS Technician

cowgirlsmommy has disabled reputation

I have an 04 Elantra. Britax convertibles are super easy to get in. The First Years True Fit Premier goes in easy too. The Radian can go in but it requires a ton of room and hard bracing.

cowgirlsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
megan.amarice
Carseat Crazy

megan.amarice has disabled reputation

Our 03 Elantra kicked the bucket a few months ago. I successfully had installed in it (all center): Evenflo Triumph Advance, Britax Roundabout50, Combi Coccoro, and Graco Myride. I was unable to install the Complete Air, as it didn't fit between the front seats.
Megan, mama to Genevieve (7/09, 43lbs, 42") ff Frontier and Roundabout 50, and Kristoffer (2/12, 22lbs, 33") rfing Nextfit and MySize. #3 due 9/17!
megan.amarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Judi
CPST/Firefighter

Judi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

I have trouble with installs in the center position. Outboard is easy.

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!