Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Community > Carseat Chat

Notices

Carseat Chat Introductions and Miscellaneous Child Passenger Safety Topics and Chat. Discuss Ratings, Laws, News, Etc. No Off-topic Discussions!

Carseat Chat is sponsored by Kids-N-Cribs.com

Old 04-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
April
CPS Technician

April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!
Reassured by my visit with the foonf today

I've been sort of in love with this seat since I saw the first pics of it, but at the same time, hoping that I could find something about it to hate because I just have no justification to get one. My only harnessed kid has a rnxt, cco, rn80, and a tf, for two cars.

We (me, quassee, mistybug, and amelia222) got to check it out today, and all the things I thought might be dealbreakers just....aren't. The primary concern I had, was how high up it sits RF, since the only place DD3 can be is in the 2nd row centre. We brought it out to my van and it wasn't even an issue. It didn't block my view at all, and was at most, 2" higher than my RNXT with the angle adjuster. Somehow it seemed way worse in the pics I've seen here than it actually was IRL, at least in my van. Then I thought it might be too wide, because even though the stated width is 17", it just looks wider than the RN, even side by side. Its not. In fact, it puzzled better with my current setup than the RN, and it was way easier to buckle DS2's turbo booster than it currently is. Right now I have to scoot his seat towards the door, buckle, and scoot him back. But because of the shape of the foonf base, I could just reach under the booster arm to buckle. I was initially bummed about only being able to use the arb in the most reclined position, but since it can be rf tethered, that's a non-issue as well.

I just can't find a reason not to love this seat. The REACT technology seems super awesome, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the crash test numbers (which they are going to release). Chris was super nice, and patient with all of my weird questions. Bottom line, I'm sold. Heart Shades foonf here we come. Might as well go for it since #5 is the last for us.
Posted via Mobile Device

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
gigi
CPS Fanatic

gigi has disabled reputation
Did you happen to have a big kid with you? If so, how was the shoulder space for bigger kids?
gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Syllieann
Carseat Crazy

Syllieann is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorSyllieann is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author
Re: Reassured by my visit with the foonf today

What van did you install in? I'm also looking for a reason to hate this seat. I really want one and really don't need one at all.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
NannyMom
CPS Technician

NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!
I don't have a rf kid, so I really don't need one. It should be coming here this month, and I too am looking for a reason to hate it

Last edited by NannyMom; 04-10-2012 at 04:03 PM.
NannyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You from:
Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
yetanotherjen
CPST Instructor

yetanotherjen is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authoryetanotherjen is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authoryetanotherjen is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

I wasn't able to go to the foonf event in CO last week, but Vera promised to let me know about future events, I can't wait to play with it. I'm trying to talk myself into one....
Old 04-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
TechnoGranola
Forum Ambassador

TechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org Leader
So they allowed you time to install it? I may be able to go see it today and I *need* to be able to install it as I'll be ordering online so can't try it first. And will they install it for you? I'll have TechnoBaby with me so won't have 2 hands. Which leads me to wonder how I'll get my 2 seats back in after…hmmm…have to get TechnoBaby home!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org
TechnoGranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Judi
CPST/Firefighter

Judi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Just because you don't have a kid, doesn't mean you can't get one.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
T4K
Senior Community Member

T4K is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!T4K is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!T4K is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!T4K is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!T4K is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!T4K is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi
Just because you don't have a kid, doesn't mean you can't get one.
A Foonf or a kid?

My kid is up for rent. She can even pick up her toys.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Judi
CPST/Firefighter

Judi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

A Foonf. I found out that kids grow up, and I don't like them as teenagers.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
TechnoGranola
Forum Ambassador

TechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi
A Foonf. I found out that kids grow up, and I don't like them as teenagers.
I'm with you on this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org
TechnoGranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
SignCuer
CPS Technician

SignCuer is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorSignCuer is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author
Quote:
Originally Posted by NannyMom
I don't have a rf kid, so I really don't need one. It should be coming here this month, and I too am looking for a reason to bate it
It's coming here this month?! Awesome!! LMK when so I can be free and bring some kiddos with me!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
amelia222
CPS Technician

amelia222 is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authoramelia222 is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

I'm torn. While I love it and dd was asking where her new pink seat went on the way home, she'd only be able to use it ff. This is her sitting in it and you can see her lack of legroom, comparable to the new Britax convertibles.

But, it will fit 3-across in my teeny tiny '91 tercel and even fit RF behind the driver's seat, reclined with the seat where I need it and more upright with the front seat all the way back.

amelia222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You from:
Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
April
CPS Technician

April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!April is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

I had it in my windstar, in the middle seat of the bench (3rd row bench in the second row). We didn't actually install it, just sat it on the seat. I sat my giant 5.5 year old in it, but he was too big. An inch over the top slots and the wings pushing down on his shoulders. But...he's in size 7/8 shirts so he's not the average 5 year old. Amelia put her DD in it though, who's almost 3 and fairly tall, so she can probably comment on the fit. My Gracie had like 8-10 inches of shell above her head, but she still has room in the CCO, so take that with a grain of salt.
Posted via Mobile Device
April is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You from:
Old 04-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
Mugsmom
Carseat Crazy

Mugsmom is a novice Car-Seat.Org journalist

The RF leg room is my main worry. Anyone know how it compares to other ERF seats for tall kiddos?

The wing pushing down on a taller child's shoulders worry me too.

I'm still hopeful it will get us past 3.5 years old RF though.
Mugsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #15
Phineasmama
CPS Technician

Phineasmama IS a CPS Know-It-All!Phineasmama IS a CPS Know-It-All!Phineasmama IS a CPS Know-It-All!Phineasmama IS a CPS Know-It-All!Phineasmama IS a CPS Know-It-All!Phineasmama IS a CPS Know-It-All!Phineasmama IS a CPS Know-It-All!

The RF leg room doesn't seem like it would really be a problem to me. I would just recline the seat a little more, or recline the vehicle seat just a tad...maybe not possible in all cars though.
Thank You from:

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!