Frontier 85 compatible with this type of seat belt?

lishoprah

I have searched and searched and can't find anyone mentioning a seat belt like mine that comes from inside of a seat.

I have my 4 year old dd's Frontier 85 installed in the center bench seat of our 2006 Toyota 4Runner. The middle seat belt comes from inside the seat next to the head rest, and is about half an inch or an inch below the top of the Frontier's shell. The short belt path doesn't work here because the rigid belt stalk is in the way. (Our Radian doesn't work here either.) LBP is very solid, but I can't figure out if it's a concern that the seat belt has to go slightly up and over the top of the Frontier instead of coming from above. It's probably less than an inch that it goes up and over...

So, can I leave it here or do I need to move it outboard? I need to fit a RF Radian and my 11 year old son in the same row. I *think* if I have each car seat outboard that my 11 year old would have room between them, but it's also the least comfortable seat, so that was our last resort option.

ADS

lishoprah

I'll see if I can figure out pictures in a minute. The back of the Frontier 85 is taller than the back of the 4Runner seat. The middle seat belt comes out of the seat instead of out of the ceiling, so it has to go over the top of the Frontier. Off to snap a picture.

tiggercat

Is the vehicle seatback in the correct recline position? It looks fairly reclined in the photos, and if it were a touch more upright it might change the geometry a bit better and afford more contact with the back of the shell.
Can we see a pic of the whole install for some perspective?

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

lishoprah

Yes, the recline block is forward. The 4Runner seat was one click back from the most vertical, I know that's hard to see, but I was at a funny angle hanging over the Radian to take the picture. The Toyota manual says it has to be 5 clicks back for latch, but doesn't specify where it should be for a seat belt install.

I would take a picture, but I ended up moving it outboard to see if my son would fit in the middle and he does.

If I do need the Frontier back in the middle, would it be compatible to have the seat belt like that? I would definitely try it as upright as possible, but I think the seatbelt would still be a bit below the Frontier.

Thanks for your help!

lishoprah

Here's the current installation. It's 2 clicks back from the most vertical position which seemed to fit the seat back the best. The 60 portion of the seat that included the middle was one click more upright when the Frontier was on it. If there's anything that looks off about this install let me know. There is a sock around the buckle so my son knows which is his.

Apparently I don't have enough attachment room so I had to delete the other pictures to show this...

Attachments

• 029 (600x800).jpg
    029 (600x800).jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 35

tiggercat

Did you say you have to fit a RF Radian in that row? That might cause you a seat bight, crack issue :p. Not touching that one.

I think the frontier install is good. Love the sock idea, I am going to try that on my ex's car.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Does the center headrest go high enough to provide protection to the top of the child's ears? It looks to be relatively short in the pic. Some are adjustable, some just don't adjust high enough (I am driving a rental 2012 Nissan Pathfinder and the middle headrest is *just* tall enough for my 5'1" 11 year old...)

lishoprah

Thank you all!

Yes, I was going to fit a rf Radian in this row (and I apparently have had one installed wrong for almost a year), and yes, I do feel we have a seat bight incompatibility :eek:. That's what prompted all the rearranging. I have a My Ride 65 arriving today and I didn't think it would puzzle with the Frontier, but I think there will still be room for my son between them since it sits up on a base.

Yes, there is a headrest in the center position. You can just see the corner of it in the picture. It's one of those smaller ones that leaves a gap between the seat and the headrest, but it goes up past the top of his head. He's about 5'1" I think.

We just have to make this car work for our 4 kids for another 2 years and then we're getting a minivan. The third row has my 11 year old daughter and we can't put a car seat back there because there's no tether anchor and a rf seat doesn't quite fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC