What is the smallest Car seat with the highest RF weight limit in Canada?

paxye

I have my youngest ds in a Evenflo Triumph since it was the best it for our minivan and honestly I wouldn't have guessed he would be so heavy and outgrow it so soon....

However, as of yesterday when he turned 8 months he is 34 pounds...

I kept my older two RF until well into their second year and I want to do AT LEAST the same for ds youngest... My other boys are in Alpha Omega's but they don't fit in the middle seat of our minivan...so I know that I need a smaller seat there but what are my options?

ADS

shauburg

Your 8 month old is 34 lbs :eek:?!? And I thought my 7 month old 21.5 lb was big!

The highest RF weight limit in Canada is 30 lb, so you are already in trouble and no RF seat will help you. I don't know what to recommend for an <1 year old +30 lb baby:shrug-shoulders:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Until recently (if not still today) the RFing limit on all seats in Canada was 30 pounds. I hope a Canadian CRST will chime in here (there is a separate Canadian folder, in case this doesn't get enough visibility here).

At 34 pounds not even importing an illegal US seat with a 35 pound RFing limit will help. He's too heavy.

You have one big boy!!! Piper just turned five, and while I know she's petite, he's still got two pounds on her, she's only 32 pounds. I know you're his mom, but are you sure about the weight? I had one mom come into a check and swear to me up and down while looking at her two year old that the child was 65 pounds. We asked and double checked and asked again and asked a third time. I picked her up and said that the kid felt about as heavy as Piper. There was a scale there and we weighed her, she was within a half pound of Piper's weight at 29 pounds. The mom was staring at her daughter and telling me 65 pounds for a kid who was obviously wearing 2T clothing.

Wendy

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
At present there are no seats in Canada with a rf'ing limit higher than 30lbs.

I'd confirm your ds's weight at a health unit or the dr.'s office jic the scale he was last weighed on is off a bit... otherwise you have no choice but to turn him ff'ing immediately.

If you are 100% positive that his weight is over 30lbs right now, then you need to go out and turn his triumph ff'ing before he rides in it again. Even in the US it's only rated to 30lbs rf'ing, so he's over the limit right now and that's not safe..

It's not an ideal situation, but you don't have much choice in the matter... but do check and double check his weight before turning him ff'ing.

The one other thing I would check, is if your alpha omega's that your older 2 are using might happen to have one of the 35lb rf'ing limit stickers on them. At one point in time, rf'ing seats in Canada had the same weights on them as their US counter parts, then there was a change in legislation that made the max limit 30lbs. That limit is no longer there - so manufacturers could choose to certify their seats to higher weights again, but none have done it. :(

So anyways, it's possible one of your older alpha omega's might have a 35lb sticker on it and if it does, I would monitor your youngest ds's weight very closely and use the AO for the last pound. It might get him another month anyways...

We can help you with installation tips for getting the AO to fit in your minivan rf'ing. Did you try installing it without the base? You can also have it more upright than 45 degrees since your ds is past the newborn stage... you could also install it outboard if that would make it fit... *just brainstorming*

paxye

I am very sure on his weight....

he is a pound heavier than my almost 3 yo and 6 pounds lighter than my 5 year old...

if you want to see pics of my chubby babe you can see them here.... (I always love sharing pics of course ;) )

I REALLY don't want him FF.... I feel he is way too young for it and I know that if I did that I would not feel comfortable driving the car with him anymore (and since DH doesn't drive and I don't leave the kids, that means loosing my freedom also).....:(
He is starting to crawl so I hope that he starts losing weight or at least not gaining anymore.... is there really no options?:confused:

BudgieStew

Hi M,

You won't recognize me by my user name here but we know each other online.(Montreal Parents Yahoo Group etc)

This is a sucky situation.

Since it can only be your decision at this point of what to do as there are only a few options and none really are the right one.
It would bother me but not as much as FF him at such a young age.

As a parental decision I would get the Scerena and RF to 35 lbs.
Its on sale at Zellers this week for 79.97 and hope that he he doesn't gain that extra lb for a long long time

Since he is starting to craw/ walk he can only slim down right?

Hopefully a Scenera can get him to at least a year and then who knows maybe down the road he might slim right down and you might be able to legally RF him again or car seat makers start maker the 33 and 35 lb seats again.

BTW I checked out he pictures an he is a cutie as are all your boys.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC