Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Community > Carseat Chat

Notices

Carseat Chat Introductions and Miscellaneous Child Passenger Safety Topics and Chat. Discuss Ratings, Laws, News, Etc. No Off-topic Discussions!

Carseat Chat is sponsored by Kids-N-Cribs.com

Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
jenfrogmom
CPS Technician

jenfrogmom is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorjenfrogmom is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author
what is your favorite booster?

Just curious.

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
lovemybabies924
CPS Technician

lovemybabies924 is almost a CPS know-it-alllovemybabies924 is almost a CPS know-it-alllovemybabies924 is almost a CPS know-it-all
Hmmmmmm that's hard.. I think the oobr

Eta: if I didn't have latch it would be different

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
christineka
CPS Technician

christineka has disabled reputation
Re: what is your favorite booster?

Old style britax parkway. If you mean something current, I'm still looking for a favorite.

Dd1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 12 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 11 (Probooster), Dd4 age 9 (Probooster), Ds2 age 7 (Ffing Radian 80), and Dd4 age 5 (Rfing Radian r120)
christineka is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You from:
Old 02-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
momtoo3
Senior Community Member

momtoo3 is almost a CPS know-it-allmomtoo3 is almost a CPS know-it-allmomtoo3 is almost a CPS know-it-allmomtoo3 is almost a CPS know-it-allmomtoo3 is almost a CPS know-it-all

I love the Vivo for the headrest and belt fit but it lacks leg support although ds2 who is very leggy has not complained.

I love the fit of the Diono Monterey but am not liking the way the seat belt slips out of the shoulder belt guide. I love everything else about the seat though.

I like the PWSG. It fits ds2 well and has nice leg support. I just don't love it for some reason that I can't put my finger on.

If I had to chose it would probably be the Monterey because ds2 says it is super comfy, can use LATCH and becomes a backless booster.

I also really like the Compass B540 but it is shorter and ds2 is about to outgrow it.

Stephanie, mom to Austin 14 yrs, 116 lbs, 63 in, seat belt
Tyler 9 yrs, 77 lbs, 55 in, in an Amp and HiRise

Dominick 5.5 yrs, 41 lbs, 43 in, in a Performance Booster, Vivo and CruiserFix
And Baby Emily, 8-9-14, in a SR35LX!
momtoo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Mags462
Carseat Crazy

Mags462 is almost a CPS know-it-allMags462 is almost a CPS know-it-allMags462 is almost a CPS know-it-all

Favorite overall is the plain old Graco Turbobooster..... it just fits every child i have put in it so well.....

But i like the Moneterey for my DS for his everyday ride.... although it is wider and i worry about a not so broad shouldered child not fitting.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
glockchick
CPS Technician

glockchick is almost a CPS know-it-allglockchick is almost a CPS know-it-allglockchick is almost a CPS know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineka View Post
Old style britax parkway. If you mean something current, I'm still looking for a favorite.

I am liking the current PW as well right now, but the old one is still my favorite.

They just don't make em like they used to.
glockchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
jenfrogmom
CPS Technician

jenfrogmom is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorjenfrogmom is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author
See, that is my problem, I hate the Diono Monterey belt guides, Now I am desperately searching to find another seat. I can't do a Vivo because ds is built like a linebacker. I will only buy something with SIP. I had the Parkway and hated it. I am not sure what to do...
Old 02-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
tarynsmum
Senior Community Member

tarynsmum is almost a CPS know-it-alltarynsmum is almost a CPS know-it-alltarynsmum is almost a CPS know-it-all
So far, I haven't found my #1 perfect booster. The Vivo is the closest (but not the current fabric, luckily I have the Lite on now), but the seat depth IS short. DD usually puts her backpack there and uses t as a foot rest. About the fabric, it is SO STATIC-Y! DD freaks out about it.

My next love is the X-fit. It really IS perfect on paper... but I just don't feel the surge of love (lust? Lol) that I do for the Vivo. I can't put my finger on it.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
VoodooChile
Senior Community Member

VoodooChile is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorVoodooChile is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Oobr is dd's favorite. She's really comfy in it and, of course, wanted something with style.
She also uses a Frontier 80 as a booster, which she likes but it's so wide she often locks the seat belt when she buckles herself.
She has a Turbo in my mom's car that's great. I like that one much better than the Frontier but we're not in a position to trade.
We also have a Big Kid as a spare but it's our least favorite in terms of fit and comfort.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
melniemi
Senior Community Member

melniemi is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!melniemi is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!melniemi is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!melniemi is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!melniemi is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!melniemi is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!melniemi is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!
I like my probooster and oobr. Dd loves both of them as well. Only complaint on the pb is that the foam got really squeaky/creaky in the cold weather? Every time she would move, it would creak. Drove me bonkers! Clek doesn't do that and she adores her monkey so all is well

melniemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Kac
CPS Technician

Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

ProBooster!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
fyrfightermomma
CPS Technician

fyrfightermomma is a Car-Seat.org Leaderfyrfightermomma is a Car-Seat.org Leaderfyrfightermomma is a Car-Seat.org Leaderfyrfightermomma is a Car-Seat.org Leaderfyrfightermomma is a Car-Seat.org Leaderfyrfightermomma is a Car-Seat.org Leaderfyrfightermomma is a Car-Seat.org Leaderfyrfightermomma is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Pro booster by far

E 8y 43 lbs 58" Harmony NBB
S 7y 52 lbs 54" Harmony NBB
J-4y 38 lbs Graco Headwise 70 Britax Roundabout 50
fyrfightermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
Carrie_R
CPS Technician

Carrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Monterey. Love and adore it, would ride in it myself if I fit lol. But, I have old style belt guides.

Maybe look in swap and see if you can get an older one? Also, make sure you let SK (er... Diono) know how you feel!

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!
Carrie_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
crunchierthanthou
Moderator - CPS Technician

crunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

SK Monterey. I'd love the ProBooster if it had LATCH (like some of its European cousins do).
crunchierthanthou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
myliljunebugs
Senior Community Member

myliljunebugs is a popular Car-Seat.org writer

For DS it was the Monterey, and when that was outgrown the Olli

For DD, I have no clue. She is narrow through the shoulders. She has used the Monterey at it's smallest settings but it is still too wide. She uses the old style PW with her dad (and will get one that has a little while before expiration from her cousin for me when she turns 7), and it fits pretty well. No clue what I will do when those expire.

Connor, 11 years, 5' 112lbs, seatbelt
Ella, 8 years, 52" 60lb, FR 85, PW
myliljunebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
jenfrogmom
CPS Technician

Cybex anyone?

Am I being too picky, should I just keep the darn Diono?
Old 02-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
christineka
CPS Technician

christineka has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfrogmom View Post
Cybex anyone?

Am I being too picky, should I just keep the darn Diono?
My opinion is that there aren't any great boosters being made right now, so just pick the one you can deal with and keep your eyes out for something better. I really like the vivo of all the seats in current production.

Dd1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 12 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 11 (Probooster), Dd4 age 9 (Probooster), Ds2 age 7 (Ffing Radian 80), and Dd4 age 5 (Rfing Radian r120)
christineka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
tanyaandallie
CPS Technician

tanyaandallie is almost a CPS know-it-alltanyaandallie is almost a CPS know-it-alltanyaandallie is almost a CPS know-it-alltanyaandallie is almost a CPS know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineka View Post
My opinion is that there aren't any great boosters being made right now, so just pick the one you can deal with and keep your eyes out for something better. I really like the vivo of all the seats in current production.
I agree. I cannot find one I just really LOVE for my ds. I want LATCH, a good fit and no quirkiness (is that a word?). I would love the Probooster if it had LATCH and was not so darn tippy. It worked so well in dh's old vehicle but is annoying in others. The fit, however, is fantastic.

The monterey is my all time fav for my dd but ds is far more petite so the fit of the new monterey would be awesome for him. But I could not cope with the shoulder belt falling out of the belt guide all the time. That happens with his turbo and it's darn annoying.

Allie 6/6/03 - Monterey and Parkway
Levi 4/3/05 - Probooster and Turbobooster
tanyaandallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #19
zeo2ski
CPS Fanatic

zeo2ski is almost a CPS know-it-allzeo2ski is almost a CPS know-it-allzeo2ski is almost a CPS know-it-all

I see you have a FR85 and a ProSport on the way...why not try those as boosters? Is the booster for your DS1?
H-- 2.5 RF RNXT;M--7mos CCOA--1 mos KF30 and R 1.5 RXT
zeo2ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
steph_s
Carseat Crazy

steph_s is a popular Car-Seat.org writer

For small new booster riders I love the pwky sg! It always fits so well and hugs them perfectly. For older kids I tend to prefer the sk monterey. It's wider, and the arm rests aren't low like the pkwy. My main complaint with the pkwy is the super low arm rests which make it hard for bigger kids or those who are thick through the thighs to buckle and get the lap belt under the arm rests.

That said, I HATE the new monterey! The belt guides are horrible and useless! Who wants to re thread the seat belt every single time? Also if your child moves even a little bit forward then sits back it gets caught up on the guides and doesn't retract properly. I have emailed them about the issue and even sent a video showing what happens and basically got a "thanks, but we suck and we aren't changing anything" response.

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!