Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Community > Carseat Chat

Notices

Carseat Chat Introductions and Miscellaneous Child Passenger Safety Topics and Chat. Discuss Ratings, Laws, News, Etc. No Off-topic Discussions!

Carseat Chat is sponsored by Kids-N-Cribs.com

Old 02-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
tarynsmum
Senior Community Member

tarynsmum is almost a CPS know-it-alltarynsmum is almost a CPS know-it-alltarynsmum is almost a CPS know-it-all
ParkwaySG, Turbo, X-fit, Olli, Vivo, Monterey & Probooster- a comparison PIC HEAVY

So, there has been a lot of requests recently for recommendations for smaller kids in boosters. I've amassed a decent collection of the most-frequently recommended, so I hope that helps someone. The only things I don't have on hand is a Monterrey and a Oobr (although I did take pics with the Olli, just to see lap belt fit). Pictures are taken in a 2011 Town and Country, in the drivers-side captains chair, with the seat all the way back. DD is 40lbs on the nose with this clothing and boots on (I weighed her as we walked out to do pics). But she fluctuates between 38-42 depending on what's she's been eating and how long it's been since she's pooped (sorry TMI). She's between 44 and 45 inches tall; 45 with the boots on, with about a 17inch torso (she's almost outgrown the Radian XT in this vehicle)

First up: Parkway SG, 3rd "notch" (2 clicks up)

The shoulder belt is barely on her shoulder.

Even with the SG - I feel like the lap belt is too high. The straps for the SG are too long for her, and without the SG it's the same (I didn't take a pic, sorry).

Next: Graco Turbo Booster "regular" version, not Elite):

Fit is OK, this is 2 clicks up, I think I could go one higher. My main issue with the turbo is the amount of room on either side of her body. My main feeling about the Turbo is "meh" - the fit is OK, but I'm not in love.

Cybex Solution X-fit (5th or 6th notch, I can't remember and I'm not taking it out to figure it out):
Is my current favorite. The LATCH is futuristically cool, but CRAZY hard to remove in my sloped seats. I curse like a sailor every time. Also, the reclining headrest is super cool.

ETAL: the way the shoulder belt feeds is kind of weird. I wanted to keep everything exactly the same for the pictures, but in real life I move the vehicle seat up a little bit so that the belt feeds more smoothly.

After I realized how low the bottom slot is, I decided to try DS in it. He is 30lbs today with clothes and heavy tennies on, 34 inches tall. He is built the opposite to DD - he has broader shoulders (they're actually the same measurment from shoulder tip to shoulder tip, lol):

Uhhh.... The fit is RIDICULOUSLY good. I mean, wow. I literally had to bribe him with candy to sit still for the 3 seconds to take the shot, so that should tell you how ready for a booster he is, lol.

Vivo pics are coming soon. I have to get it out of DH's car when he gets home. To tide you over, these are from a couple months ago (but her stats haven't really changed:

Last edited by tarynsmum; 02-05-2012 at 04:51 PM.

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
firemomof3
CPS Technician

firemomof3 IS a CPS Know-It-All!firemomof3 IS a CPS Know-It-All!firemomof3 IS a CPS Know-It-All!firemomof3 IS a CPS Know-It-All!firemomof3 IS a CPS Know-It-All!firemomof3 IS a CPS Know-It-All!firemomof3 IS a CPS Know-It-All!firemomof3 IS a CPS Know-It-All!
Re: ParkwaySG, Turbo, X-fit, Olli and Vivo - a comparison PIC HEAVY

Great pictures! I can add a pic of my dd2 when she was 4y/o 30lbs. in the Oobr

Oobr fit was great, but there is alot of wiggle room which I personally don't like. I prefer a booster to "hug" my kids
firemomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
YinzerMama
CPS Fanatic

YinzerMama is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorYinzerMama is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Heather - too much or too little room on either side with the turbo booster? She looks squished to me, wanted to check if that was what you meant?

Thanks for the pics. The parkway headrest looks like you'd need a pretty big kid for the belt to fit right since it's so wide - is that right?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
Kac
CPS Technician

Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

Adorable kids!
Old 02-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
ericarizo
CPS Technician

ericarizo has disabled reputation

How many clicks does the X-Fix have?
Erica: CPST. Mom to 5 beautiful Children: Roberto(17.5)Seat belt, Marayah(13)Seat belt, Dauntae(7.5)Bubble Bum, Connext LBB, Literider LBB, Turbo LBB, Keiani(5) Pkwy HBB, Affix HBB, Amp HBB, Santiago(3)Frontier85
ericarizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
canadiangie
Ambassador - CPS Technician

canadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leadercanadiangie is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Do I ever wish the Vivo was up here. Such a good fit.
canadiangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
christineka
CPS Technician

christineka has disabled reputation

Over in Europe you can get a shield for the cybex booster. I bet that's why it fits little kids so well.

I also like boosters to "hug" my kids. I love the bodyguard and its adjustable width seat for that reason.

Dd1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 12 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 11 (Probooster), Dd4 age 9 (Probooster), Ds2 age 7 (Ffing Radian 80), and Dd4 age 5 (Rfing Radian r120)
christineka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
tarynsmum
Senior Community Member

tarynsmum is almost a CPS know-it-alltarynsmum is almost a CPS know-it-alltarynsmum is almost a CPS know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinzerMama View Post
Heather - too much or too little room on either side with the turbo booster? She looks squished to me, wanted to check if that was what you meant?

Thanks for the pics. The parkway headrest looks like you'd need a pretty big kid for the belt to fit right since it's so wide - is that right?
Too much. It's hard to tell, I guess I need an up-close "from above" shot - there's a solid 2 inches on either side of her bum, and even though she's NOT a wiggly kid, she tends to lean... and the leaning puts the shoulder belt off her shoulder. This one actually has a little extra padding on the seat (two little pillows on either side by the lap belt guides) that make it better. It's not an elite; it doesn't have the extra headwing pillows or side bolster pillows, these are like 2-3 inches and only on the 'backless' part of the booster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangie View Post
Do I ever wish the Vivo was up here. Such a good fit.
I promise to try today, if it's still light outside when I get home (that's the biggest problem, with the dark interior of my van and my mostly-black boosters, they don't show up well)

I picked this shirt for her to wear so that it was easier to see where the shoulder belt hits her. The parkway is literally ON THE EDGE of her shoulder. I grudgingly admit that the Turbo isn't *that* bad... I just don't like the seat It feels to lightweight, shaky, "rickety" or something. I also wish it was more "enclosed" on the sides like the others (even the Parkway!)
Old 02-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
tarynsmum
Senior Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarizo View Post
How many clicks does the X-Fix have?
Eleven, according to Cybex.

Like I mentioned earlier, it is a totally PITA to unLATCH this thing in my van. I'm sure in most vehicles it would be easier, but the $&!()#$&! seats are SO sloped, that it's just hard.

So when I went to figure out how many clicks, most of the boosters I just had her get out, turned the booster around, and "clicked" down to the bottom. With the X-fit, I wasn't taking it back out so I attempted to click it down WHILE LATCHed, which is easy, but not when you're trying to count at the same time, lol. So I'm *fairly* certain she's on the 5th click, but not 100%.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
steph_s
Carseat Crazy

steph_s is a popular Car-Seat.org writer

If you move the head rest up on the pwky you will get a much better shoulder belt fit in your vehicle. For some reason in that van I always have to go up a click on the kids pwky and monterey for the shoulder belt to fit best.
steph_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
tarynsmum
Senior Community Member

Adding monterey and vivo pics!

I can't edit my OP for some reason... Here are pics of DD in the Vivo (in the same position as in the other pics, for comparison) and the Monterey. I had her wear the same shirt so that the comparison would be the same.

Monterey: 2 clicks up:

Monterey from the side:

Zoom in of lap-belt fit in the Monterey

Vivo, 3 clicks up:

Vivo, from the side:
Old 03-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
Chila88
CPS Technician

Chila88 is a popular Car-Seat.org writer
Re: ParkwaySG, Turbo, X-fit, Olli, Vivo & Monterey - a comparison PIC HEAVY

Thanks for the rest of the pics! So how do you feel about the Monterey? I think (judging by the box in the background) it is a new Diono one right? What do you drive and do you have any issues with the belt guide? Where does it place in comparison to all the others in your mind?

Going by the pics I really like the SIP the Monterey offers. It really wraps around the kids. Cool!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
tarynsmum
Senior Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chila88
Thanks for the rest of the pics! So how do you feel about the Monterey? I think (judging by the box in the background) it is a new Diono one right? What do you drive and do you have any issues with the belt guide? Where does it place in comparison to all the others in your mind?

Going by the pics I really like the SIP the Monterey offers. It really wraps around the kids. Cool!
Yes, it' a Diono, 9/11 dom. All the pics are in the drivers side captains chair of a 2011 Town and Country. The shoulder belt guide is terrible. I'm going to play with the vehicle seat some ( forward and back) to see if it helps, maybe try it in the 3rd row or something. It's completely caught in the belt guide.

IF the seat belt guide issue is fixed ( meaning, of I find a way to keep it from getting caught, I would place it after the Cybex and Vivo, before the Turbo. I love the leg support, the belt fit was good, the sides were "huggy" according to DD ( she likes more side support, like the Vivo). The adjustable sides are cool, though we'll never EVER need that feature. The LATCH, while not as futuristic and super cool as Cybex's, was easier to use in my super sloped captains chair.the fabric is really nice - DD hates plushy, I hate how snagged mesh gets. This is a nice compromise.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
yetanotherjen
CPST Instructor

yetanotherjen is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authoryetanotherjen is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authoryetanotherjen is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarynsmum View Post
Yes, it' a Diono, 9/11 dom. All the pics are in the drivers side captains chair of a 2011 Town and Country. The shoulder belt guide is terrible. I'm going to play with the vehicle seat some ( forward and back) to see if it helps, maybe try it in the 3rd row or something. It's completely caught in the belt guide.

IF the seat belt guide issue is fixed ( meaning, of I find a way to keep it from getting caught, I would place it after the Cybex and Vivo, before the Turbo. I love the leg support, the belt fit was good, the sides were "huggy" according to DD ( she likes more side support, like the Vivo). The adjustable sides are cool, though we'll never EVER need that feature. The LATCH, while not as futuristic and super cool as Cybex's, was easier to use in my super sloped captains chair.the fabric is really nice - DD hates plushy, I hate how snagged mesh gets. This is a nice compromise.
I'm having a hard time picturing/understanding the belt guide issue... How does it get caught? I have a SK Monterey 2010 I think.... in a 07 Chrysler Pacifica so the belts are VERY similar to yours and I love it and was thinking of getting a second one.

Oh and THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO much for this post! It is beyond helpful for me!

Last edited by yetanotherjen; 03-11-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: adding more
yetanotherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #15
tarynsmum
Senior Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherjen

I'm having a hard time picturing/understanding the belt guide issue... How does it get caught? I have a SK Monterey 2010 I think.... in a 07 Chrysler Pacifica so the belts are VERY similar to yours and I love it and was thinking of getting a second one.
The newer Montereys have a different belt guide ( the 2010s are different, according to a search). I guess it's especially bad in the Caravan/ T&Cs ( also, according to a quick search that I did). I'm going to try it in the 3rd row center, and then I can fold down the one captains.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
PunkyMonkey
Carseat Crazy

PunkyMonkey is a Car-Seat.Org cub writer

I just want to point out how freaking cute your DD is, and her little face she makes in every pic! thanks for this, I'm far from booster days but I've been buying seats for birthdays or christmas for other family members who need them and this is a huge help as I'll be buying boosters this year!
PunkyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #17
yetanotherjen
CPST Instructor

yetanotherjen is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authoryetanotherjen is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authoryetanotherjen is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Quote:
The newer Montereys have a different belt guide ( the 2010s are different, according to a search). I guess it's especially bad in the Caravan/ T&Cs ( also, according to a quick search that I did). I'm going to try it in the 3rd row center, and then I can fold down the one captains.
Well Boo! I'll have to see if I can find one anywhere next time I'm in Denver. DS1 really wanted a blue one, but we have a little while before he needs a second booster.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #18
Chila88
CPS Technician

Chila88 is a popular Car-Seat.org writer

Quote:

Thanks! I'm in Canada and unfortunately your top 2 favourites aren't available here I need latchable so I think I'll be deciding between the Oobr and the Monterey when my super skinny DD enters into booster world, likely later this year, but that will all depend on if those stupid belt guides work in my Sienna and Element. I hope Diono takes this issue into account and changes them so the seat is compatible in more vehicles.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #19
VoodooChile
Senior Community Member

VoodooChile is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorVoodooChile is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Here's my dd in the Clek Oobr. In this pic, she's 6.5 y/o. 46" tall, 44 lbs, 15.5" torso. She loves this booster more than anything!
Thank You from:
Old 05-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
tarynsmum
Senior Community Member

Re: ParkwaySG, Turbo, X-fit, Olli, Vivo & Monterey -AND PROBOOSTER!

Here's DD in the Recaro ProBooster - stats are unchanged from the time of all the other pics. She's ~40lbs and 45"tall.

First of all, I LOVE how solid it is, yet not as heavy as others (cough cough, Monterey, cough cough). The fabric is also really nice, as DD is particular. It doesn't LATCH, and it doesn't have cupholders (two big downfalls, especially the cupholders to DD). It's been said before that the ProBooster is tippy, and it's true. First ride I didn't put the armrests down on the captain's chair, and DD nearly fell off the seat around the first big turn . Armrests down (as shown in the pics) and there's no issue.

I also want to note that DD is asleep in every picture in this post. It happens.

Belt fit is REALLY nice - the sides aren't as "huggy" as the Vivo, but she has about as much space inside the booster as in the Monterey (on the 'tightest' setting - remember the Monterey has those adjustable wings).

Side shot. She has nice leg support in the ProBooster too. She's on the '4' click (another helpful thing on the Probooster is they number the headrest 'clicks', so that you don't have to guess every time. That's helpful, and would have come in handy on the X-fit. I digress.)

So, she's sleeping, right? These are actually the last photos I took. I first had to ease her back into position because she has THE WORST SLUMP IN THE HISTORY OF SLUMPAGE. Behold:

Holy Crap. Now, DD sleeps in the car ALL.THE.TIME. Seriously. This was after a 20minute ride at 2:30 in the afternoon (the first time she ever sat in it). If I were to choose the best sleeping boosters: Vivo and Monterey. She doesn't slump badly in the X-fit, but more to the side, whereas she remains straight-up in the Vivo and Monterey. She hasn't slumped like this since she was harnessed FFing in the Radian. Also, she fell over again and again - she either caught herself, I said her name and she got back up or (twice) I had to reach back and smack her foot. Not good. I'm not giving up on the ProBooster, but it definitely makes me sad.

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!