britax replacement harness velcro is wrong

LEAW

I ordered a replacement harness when we passed the Wizard to ds from dd. She had abused it with reflux and then food... so I got all the parts, a new adjuster because it was fraying on the edges, etc.

My harness straps - when they are routed in, the little velcro tabs are waaaay too high. On the original straps the velcro wasn't exactly right either, I couldn't use the tabs to catch the straps in the seat, so I just never used them. Now they are waaay higher on the straps, which means when I put ds in the seat, and tighten it, they get caught at the buckle tongues. Leaving a lot of excess strap at his thighs that SHOULD be pulled tighter. With the velcro on there, the straps won't slide through the tongues, it's really obvious they are too high on the straps.

I don't need them, I won't use them, so should I call Britax and have them send me a new set, or should I just take my sewing scissors and remove the stitches that hold the velcro in place? I'm guessing that the scissors method will mean I've voided my proper use of the seat, eh?

Anyone else have this problem? I'm sure on bigger kids it's not an issue at all, but he has tiny hips and tiny thighs, so in the meantime he's riding in the Radian and dd is back in the Wiz, he's too tall for the infant bucket, and our other seats are on loan for the next 2 weeks.

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
This was a problem when the Marathon first came out. Have you tried your DS in it with the new straps? You may find that the velcro creates slack in the lap portion of the harness when you buckle it. Anyway, call Britax. They had to send out new straps way back when to correct this problem. I'm surprised that they would make it an issue again.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Is it possible that you don't have the new harness routed correctly? On the Marathon (not sure about the Wizard), there are 2 slots under/on the bottom of the sides of the seat that the harness must pass through. If it is only through one slot, I could see that the velcro would be in the wrong spot.

Perhaps someone has pictures of what I"m talking about?

Renee

LEAW

Ulrike, yes, that is the problem exactly, the lap portion is too loose on him.

Renee, thanks, I'll go check that, I'm pretty sure I got it right when I did it, as I undid one and redid it, then the other side, but it'll only take me a minute to go outside and look.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I've seen this before, and I didn't notice that incorrect routing until the velcro was interfering with tightening the harness - it's VERY tricky! When it's routed correctly, you shouldn't be able to see the metal part at all from the side of the seat. Here, I'll go take pics, just for future reference in case someone else has this problem, too....

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Okay, here's the pics! Luckily, dd's Marathon was actually uninstalled because dh had folks riding with him the other day. Sorry about the crumbs! :rolleyes:

Here's the route without the harness (side view of Marathon):
IMG_0861.jpg

Step 1:
Turn the metal buckle sideways, and thread it through the top hole (side view):
IMG_0864.jpg

Step 2:
Turn the metal buckle sideways again, and thread it through the bottom hole (side view):
IMG_0865.jpg

Step 3:
Pull the harness all the way through the bottom hole and make sure the harness isn't twisted (front view):
IMG_0867.jpg

When the threading is complete, it should look like this from the front:
IMG_0868.jpg

And like this from the side:
IMG_0870.jpg

Hope that helps!

singingpond

As for removing the velcro, I've been tempted to do this on our Wizard, just because we don't use the velcro much and it's scratchy. However, the velcro seems to have an adhesive under it (not just stitched on), so I don't dare remove it because I think there will be a sticky patch left on the harness strap.

Katrin

LEAW

Y'all were right! I'm guessing that dd rode in the seat with the harness only through 1 hole for a long time, since I rethreaded it once on her after washing the cover when she was tiny (and I didn't know any better). It fits ds perfectly now.

Super easy fix too, I didn't even have to take it out of the car, I just released the latch on one side to see under and make sure it was right.

groovymom2000

Debbie-thank you SO much for posting those pictures. I am shuddering when I think about how long my MA has been routed wrong--literally YEARS. My velcro never matched up, either, and I had even called Britax on it(again, this has been at least 3 years ago). They swore nothing was wrong with it, although they never sent me a new harness, either. They never even once asked me if it was routed incorrectly. There is nothing in my manual that shows the correct way to route that portion. Again, thanks!

U

Unregistered

10 years later and it is still helping people around the world!!! Thanks a lot for photos !!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC