Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > Car and Vehicle Safety

Notices

Car and Vehicle Safety Automotive Shopping and Buying Advice on Safe Family Cars, Trucks, Vans and SUVs. Discuss IIHS and NHTSA Crash Tests and Transportation Safety Statistics.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
npr74

npr74 has disabled reputation
My 07 Pacifica caught on FIRE!

My brand new 2007 Chrysler Pacifica with 3,000 miles on it caught on fire! I was driving it into a parking spot when it burst into flames under the hood. I was lucky to get out unharmed. I am so glad that my children were not with me. I have no idea how I would have undone 3 car seats in time. Chrysler has admitted fault (they couldn't tell me why the fire started because the engine was "all burned up"). They wanted to give us another Pacifica, but they wanted us to keep paying the original loan (just swap loans with them). I told them I couldn't put my family in another Chrysler and feel safe, so they are paying our original loan off. I am not too happy with them right now. I feel like they could have done more. We were on vacation at the beach when our car caught on fire. It totally ruined our vacation , and we came home early in a rental van that we paid for.
Since we need a family car now, We are looking at the new Saturn Outlook. Is the Outlook better than the Enclave or the Acadia? Are they equally rated? Most people tell me to go with Honda or Toyota, but we have 3 car seats. What do you guys suggest? We definately need some good advice!
Thank you,
Nicole
Grace 6 regent
Andrew 3 regent
Becca 6 months roundabout

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
MySillyKids
Senior Community Member

MySillyKids is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMySillyKids is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMySillyKids is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMySillyKids is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMySillyKids is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMySillyKids is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMySillyKids is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMySillyKids is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMySillyKids is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Re: My 07 Pacifica caught on FIRE!

People tell you honda or Toyota, because they last forever. We have been through oh Tons of honda's (we've had every honda except for the CRV) and we've never had ONE single issue with ANY of them.

Not that domestic cars are bad.

Sorry to hear about your car! Wow.!
MySillyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
jen_nah
CPST Instructor

jen_nah is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!jen_nah is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!jen_nah is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!jen_nah is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!jen_nah is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!jen_nah is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

I am soooo sorry that happened. I would be mad too and I agree they should have at least done more for you.

As a proud GM owner we many GM vehicles with out any major issues. I currently drive a '05 Chevy Z71 Tahoe that I LOVE to pieces but will be replaced with a new Saturn Outlook or GMC Acadia late next year when my lease is up. My dh drives a '02 Chevy 2500HD crewcab Silverado pickup truck.

As for the safety standards between the 3 GM crossovers they are exactly the same vehicle with just different options & styling. So, They are all equal as safe.
K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt
jen_nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
CDNTech
CPS Technician

CDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCDNTech is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I LOVE the Mazda CX-7 (or CX-9 if you want 7 passenger seating). We're getting a CX-9 next year and there is tons of room for three across the back.

DS3 /12, Peg PVC... working towards finalizing
CDNTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #5
Patriot201
Car-Seat.org Ambassador

Patriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org Leader

OMG! I am so glad that you are okay!!!
Patriot201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:43 PM   #6
UlrikeDG
Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus

UlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

There are Hondas and Toyotas that will fit 3 car seats. It depends on what you're wanting and how you're going to use it.

I recommend starting out with crash test results and going from there:
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Tests (independent)
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Tests (government)

Incidentally, the Saturn Outlook does appear to do quite well, both for crash tests (NHTSA) and for reliability.

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
Just click the symbol in the lower left-hand corner
of the post. Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe,
SPAM-free zone!
UlrikeDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:09 AM   #7
snowbird25ca
Moderator - CPST Instructor

snowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear about your car. That's just scary.. glad your kids weren't in the car at the time.

We have a Saturn Outlook and absolutely LOVE it! We have 2 car seats and keep our 3rd row down. With the 2nd row slid backwards *we have 2nd row bench* there's enough room for my dh to have the saet adjusted comfy and he's a big guy. We've had ours since Feb, and I'm still really pleased with it.

So far I've had a Radian, snugride, SS1 and MA in there, right now the SS1 is middle and the MA passenger outboard. Driver outboard would need a bit of a narrower car seat than the MA in order to fit next to the SS1, but 3 across would be pretty easy to do.
Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2009 Astra depending on the day.

snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #8
Judi
CPST/Firefighter

Judi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Was this last weekend? Because I had van problems too, on Saturday, on my first anniversary! I feel for you!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
amy919
CPS Fanatic

amy919 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!amy919 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!amy919 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!amy919 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!amy919 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!amy919 is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

That's just crazy! I'm glad no one was hurt! I looked at the Pacifica, but went with the Freestyle instead. If you like the crossovers, check it out. I'm very happy with mine.

I do have to say though, I wouldn't have let them off the hook so easily. Someone could have been seriously injured, killed even! I would not accept that they just admit to fault - they need to determine WHY this happened. For them to ignore it is just plain irresponsible. They'd have to do a lot more than just pay off my loan to satisfy me. I would not be happy with them shrugging this off. Talk about a major liability issue.

Amy
amy919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
jen_nah
CPST Instructor

jen_nah is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!jen_nah is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!jen_nah is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!jen_nah is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!jen_nah is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!jen_nah is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
Sorry to hear about your car. That's just scary.. glad your kids weren't in the car at the time.

We have a Saturn Outlook and absolutely LOVE it! We have 2 car seats and keep our 3rd row down. With the 2nd row slid backwards *we have 2nd row bench* there's enough room for my dh to have the saet adjusted comfy and he's a big guy. We've had ours since Feb, and I'm still really pleased with it.

So far I've had a Radian, snugride, SS1 and MA in there, right now the SS1 is middle and the MA passenger outboard. Driver outboard would need a bit of a narrower car seat than the MA in order to fit next to the SS1, but 3 across would be pretty easy to do.
I wish you lived closer so I could see if my Regents fit in the Outlook using SBP. When we had 1 for the week in Jan I got an AWESOME install with the LBP but never tried SBP.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #11
npr74

Thank you for all of the good advice! We test drove both the Toyota Sequoia and the Saturn Outlook. Since the Outlook has better safety ratings (rollover & side impact) and better gas mileage and more upgrades for the same price and better warranty...we are buying a new Outlook. We have decided on the Ocean Mist (light blue) with grey cloth interior (Saturn will replace the seat if a stain will not come clean). It has everything on it...minus navigation, sunroof & leather. I pray that we will all be very happy in it. Thanks again for all of the advice!! I will update you all after we pick up our new car!
Nicole
npr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #12
npr74

Here is a photo of my Pacifica on fire. This was taken by a guy with his cell phone.

Nicole
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007 chrysler pacifica on fire.jpg (99.1 KB, 67 views)
npr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #13
stevel

stevel is a Car-Seat.Org cub writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySillyBoys View Post
People tell you honda or Toyota, because they last forever. We have been through oh Tons of honda's (we've had every honda except for the CRV) and we've never had ONE single issue with ANY of them.

Not that domestic cars are bad.

Sorry to hear about your car! Wow.!
I'm with you for honda. can't go wrong. domestics have never been on par with honda and toyota. Now that toyota has passed GM as the biggest manufacturer in the world, that's proof that domestic car makers have some serious issues with quality and reliability......... probably more than I had to say. sorry.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #14
skaterbabs
Car-Seat.Org Zealot

skaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
domestics have never been on par with honda and toyota.

Now that's debatable ad nauseum.
- Denis Waitley
skaterbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:15 PM   #15
UlrikeDG
Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus

UlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

I hope the Saturn works well for you!

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
Just click the symbol in the lower left-hand corner
of the post. Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe,
SPAM-free zone!
UlrikeDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #16
nisi
CPS Technician

nisi is almost a CPS know-it-allnisi is almost a CPS know-it-allnisi is almost a CPS know-it-allnisi is almost a CPS know-it-allnisi is almost a CPS know-it-all

Yowza! That is scary. I'm so glad you're ok. A similar thing happened to my uncle a few years ago with his brand new Dodge Ram. IIRC it turned out to be some kind of flaw with the electrical system.

If you haven't done so already, I strongly encourage you to file a report with NHTSA. They'll keep track of any other reports and do an investigation if they feel it is warranted. If it's serious enough, sometimes one report is all it takes to launch an investigation. To file a report, you can call them at 1-888-327-4236 or file on the web at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
nisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:56 PM   #17
CPSDarren
Admin - CPS Technician

CPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisi View Post
Yowza! That is scary. I'm so glad you're ok. A similar thing happened to my uncle a few years ago with his brand new Dodge Ram. IIRC it turned out to be some kind of flaw with the electrical system.

If you haven't done so already, I strongly encourage you to file a report with NHTSA. They'll keep track of any other reports and do an investigation if they feel it is warranted. If it's serious enough, sometimes one report is all it takes to launch an investigation. To file a report, you can call them at 1-888-327-4236 or file on the web at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Definitely do this. It could have been a complete fluke, but if there is a pattern the NHTSA needs to know to force a recall.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #18
jen_nah
CPST Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
I'm with you for honda. can't go wrong. domestics have never been on par with honda and toyota. Now that toyota has passed GM as the biggest manufacturer in the world, that's proof that domestic car makers have some serious issues with quality and reliability......... probably more than I had to say. sorry.

Okay this could so turn into a lively debate but I will refrain from even going there as you can go read some of the past debates on this to get correct information.

And, Toyota passing GM for 1 quarter so far isn't saying all that much. Not everyone can stay on top for ever. Seeing as GM has been the leader for how many years now something live 20yrs (maybe off a little on that number). That right there says a lot about GM and their products.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #19
stevel

consumer reports.....

don't think this is based on their silly tests, like the car seat test... I think it's based on research of cars on the road, etc.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #20
stevel

MSN top tellers?

msn autos

I know, debate seems to be frowned upon on this site, isn't it?

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!