Best Used Minivan for $8K?

KaliShanti

Today, my folks just told us they will give us 3K to add to our 5K we've saved for a minivan! So, what is the best minivan for $8,000? Years?

Features I'd like include keyless entry and dual power sliding doors. What is the highest mileage you'd buy a used vehicle with? Do any minivans have more than 3 latch seats?

We have currently a 4-y-old in a Britax Frontier SICT, an almost-2-yr old RF in a Radian XTSL, and one on the way due November who will start out in a keyfit 30.

Sell me on your used van!!!

ADS

Shanora

LOL I'd totally sell you my van. I'm all done with it. No more children coming, I want a truck.

LOL I have an '03 Ford windstar, and its been good, but its past its prime. If you can get one with LOW milage its worth it though. Got ours in '05 with 50,000Kms on it and it lasted 6 years with us

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
06 sedona. Likely has the best safety ratings of anything else at that price point, and has 4 sets of latch. It will also have significantly less miles than any sienna or ody you could get for that price. Other models beyond those will have significantly lower safety ratings.

KaliShanti

I'm finding a few Odyssey's around the 2002-2004 years for around 8K. What is acceptable mileage for these vehicles? Is there a year that is better than others? What about Sienna's? Seems like they are around the same price. Like them better? Worse?

rxmommy

I'm finding a few Odyssey's around the 2002-2004 years for around 8K. What is acceptable mileage for these vehicles? Is there a year that is better than others? What about Sienna's? Seems like they are around the same price. Like them better? Worse?

The 2nd generation Odysseys are known for their transmission problems. For an Odyssey, I wouldn't consider earlier than 2005. Actually I was a snob and wouldn't go for earlier than 2006 because I wanted more top tethers in the 3rd row (not that I have used them though...:eek:). But you aren't likely to find a 3rd generation in that price range without a gazillion miles.

I'm not much help on the Sedonas and the mileage. To me, it's hard to look at JUST mileage as an indicator. It's a starting point, but it totally depends on how the car's been cared for. We've owned 2 different 1997 Chevy pickups and the one we got rid of, with about 20K more miles at the time, was a gem compared to the POS we have now. :mad: It's been beat to the ground. My van is an '06 Odyssey with 110K miles but I'm only the 2nd owner and it's been babied.

V

VanIsleMommy

for a honda, you won't find one with low mileage for around 8k, and I wouldn't get one with high miles because honda repairs are so expensive. they're great cars, but when they go, it's pricey.

others might disagree but I don't personally find dodge vehicles reliable. their minivans are so well thought out, but everyone I know with one hates it when it starts breaking down.

toyotas are wonderfully reliable, but again..pricey repairs

in my own personal experience, every chev or ford we've ever owned starts to die around 200,000 km . ie needing a $500 repair every month just to keep it running (that's a car payment!).

I can't comment on kias but I've heard horror stories about them breaking down with great maintenance at 75-90k. to be honest, I don't see a lot of older kias still on the road.

that's my two cents... I don't have a minivan but we currently have a chevy equinox 06 with 75k on it that we bought for $10,200 (canada), the toyota 4runner at 167,000 km is still running like brand new, and the ford f150 we have has 300,000 km on it and it dying a slow and painful death (being replaced asap). :p

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I can heartily recommend a 2001-2004 Odyssey... Just make sure the transmission has been rebuilt or replaced.

Really, heartily recommend.

We paid $6250 last November, but that's under market value.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
fo
I can't comment on kias but I've heard horror stories about them breaking down with great maintenance at 75-90k. to be honest, I don't see a lot of older kias still on the road.

thp

This is true because Kias prior to being taken over by hyundai in 05 weren't nearly as good or reliable. 06 and later kias/hyundais are some of the best vehicles on the road :) But luckily, some of the negative perception still exists, so their pricing and especially used resale value is less than toyota or honda, so you can get much better used deals :)

nmb

I don't know about older version (and it's not a minivan) but my Rondo is just at 84k miles, and no real problems. '07 so not old. We've replaced the battery once, tires a few times (not sure how many on that offhand), and just replaced a headlight. The only other time it's been in to the shop was for a recall; which was something related to the ABS sensors, they could get moisture inside and the ABS light on the dash would come on when the ABS was not, something like that?? -- that was very shortly after we bought the vehicle. It's had all routine maintenance, recharged the AC this summer... no unusual expenses or issues.

vonfirmath

My dad told me never buy a dodge, again! They're the worst.

My parents have had three Dodge minivans with no problems. We've got the second (A 2006 we paid $9K for) and its still going strong. My sister has a Dodge Grand Caravan (earlier year, not sure which one) and again, no more problems than other used cars we've owned. Its their only car and reliable enough to depend on as that.

My dad tells me never to buy a Ford. He says you can't run fast enough to give him one.

OTOH, he's not fond of Hondas or Toyotas either because of the pricy repairs. So it really comes down to what you can/want to afford.

KaliShanti

How do I find out about the Kia improvement? Like evidence I can show my DH. I had heard that but my DH has only heard negative things about Kias...

livsmum

Well I found a 2002 Odyssey with 78K miles for $6,000..... is that low or high mileage?

To me, that seems like a good price. Be sure to get it checked 1000% though.

It's funny - one person says Car A is crap. Another person says Car B is crap, but Car A is good. I really think it comes down to how well you look after the car - and many people don't.

We've got a 2002 Montana (safety ratings are less than stellar). 80K miles. But drives beautifully, looks beautiful and carseats are so easy to install. No problems whatsoever.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I personally would get a 2004+ MPV, 2004+ Quest, or 2004+ Sienna (high miles) if I had $8k to spend on a van. I would avoid the Windstar/Freestar, Caravan, and any domestic. You could also get an '07 Mazda5 for about that.

-N.

Jessica61624

vonfirmath said:
My parents have had three Dodge minivans with no problems. We've got the second (A 2006 we paid $9K for) and its still going strong. My sister has a Dodge Grand Caravan (earlier year, not sure which one) and again, no more problems than other used cars we've owned. Its their only car and reliable enough to depend on as that.

My dad tells me never to buy a Ford. He says you can't run fast enough to give him one.

OTOH, he's not fond of Hondas or Toyotas either because of the pricy repairs. So it really comes down to what you can/want to afford.

My dad doesn't like ford either. He's a mechanic and said he's seen more problems with dodge and ford. My 2000 intrepid died at 130k. It's been a great car until that day it broke down. No issues at all.

KaliShanti

I personally would get a 2004+ MPV, 2004+ Quest, or 2004+ Sienna (high miles) if I had $8k to spend on a van. I would avoid the Windstar/Freestar, Caravan, and any domestic. You could also get an '07 Mazda5 for about that.

-N.

Also, I can't find anything higher than a 04 and most of them are 02-03s. Is that an issue?

Mags462

Also, I can't find anything higher than a 04 and most of them are 02-03s. Is that an issue?

In a Sienna or Oddy no it's not an "issue" (sans the Oddy known tranny problems).... rather those are typically 1st or 2nd generation vans instead of 3rd so they have the older styled bodies. 2004 was the first run of the redesigned Sienna and 2005 was for the Oddy. Those models were hugely successful in terms of pushing Chrysler to the curb on the mini-van market. While Chrysler may have invented the mini-van .... Honda/Toyota perfected it :p

I personally would not rule out a generation 4 (2001-2007) Chrysler van. My neighbor had one that went 225K miles before calling it quits. She did have some minor repair work and the a/c kicked the can around 185K which she didnt feel like repairing..... but with that said she definitely got her money's worth.

I cannot speak to the Kia's other than to say they didn't get really reliable until they were bought by Huyundai in 05... making the 2006 Kia line-up a much better product.

I don't think there is one finite answer to respond that will assure you the best buy. Do your research, go with your gut, and get something YOU like. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC