Radian Issues

rya

We called SK today about the problems with our Radian, they are sending a new superlatch(not that I want to use it anyway) but the bigger issue is that the harness is loosening itself. We were told to just tighten it every time we put DS1 in the car, which we do anyway but the straps will often be loose by the time we get him out. I have tried moving that metal flap in different positions and pulling on the harness but it doesn't seem to lock? or something? It doesn't happen every single time but does seem to be worse than before. My daughter's Radian does not have any of these issues.

I am filing a complaint with NHTSA, but what else can I do? Call SK a few more times to see if they care? Do you speak to the same person on each call or do they have a call center? I was really counting on using this seat for DS2 but I'm afraid to, obviously.

ADS

jnamommy

I apologize if you have already done this - but have you checked underneath to make sure the straps are not getting stuck on anything? Is it possible they are getting stuck and you only think they are tightened?

How old is your son? Can he (or another child) get at the lever to loosen the straps?

Just trying to throw out some ideas, again, sorry if you already checked them.

morleahsmom

I'm having problems with the radian as well. I exchanged my first seat because the harness straps would not lock, unless I pushed down on the locking lever. This second seat is doing the same thing, but now it seems that it won't always hold, even when the lever is pushed down; I always get a bit of release on the straps after tightening.

My second issue is that the LATCH strap is loosening when I do an install in our 2010 Nissan Cube. It seems to hold in our other vechicle (Mitsubishi Outlander), but I discovered that it was extremely loose in the Cube the other day.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Thanks!

MommaTo3inNH

Just for clarifiaction, sorry to kind of hijack your thread, but Sunshine is now acknowledging the issues w/ the superlatch? I'd love to get a new latch strap for our XTSL...

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Replacing the LATCH strap generally will not help, as it is technically an incompatibility in which the tilt-lock mechanism does not directly engage due to the angle of the belt. The solution is to use the seatbelt instead.

The harness loosening, on the other hand, is something that SK absolutely should be dealing with. I would definitely keep on them until the problem is resolved.

In any event, please do report both problems to NHTSA.

rya

That coul be it, I'll check the back and see if it still has the problem, thanks! He's four, he can't reach the lever itself but can reach the strap but even with that it shouldn't be loosening.

I apologize if you have already done this - but have you checked underneath to make sure the straps are not getting stuck on anything? Is it possible they are getting stuck and you only think they are tightened?

How old is your son? Can he (or another child) get at the lever to loosen the straps?

Just trying to throw out some ideas, again, sorry if you already checked them.

They must be, I was kind of surprised to get a new LATCH strap, based on what I've read I assumed they would tell me I was doing it wrong or something.
Just for clarifiaction, sorry to kind of hijack your thread, but Sunshine is now acknowledging the issues w/ the superlatch? I'd love to get a new latch strap for our XTSL...

mommyfrog

I'm not saying it's not loosening on it's own, but my 6yo will grab the harness adjuster strap and pull it up then lean forward to loosen her own straps. Maybe see if that is what he's doing.

rya

He could be doing that, I know it is possible, he is now in a Nautilus and it doesn't happen(maybe he can't reach it in other seats.) For now I'm just going to avoid using the Radian since our main vehicle fits bigger seats three across.

I'm not saying it's not loosening on it's own, but my 6yo will grab the harness adjuster strap and pull it up then lean forward to loosen her own straps. Maybe see if that is what he's doing.

chuffednz

Sorry if you have tried this too but on page 41 of manual it has cleaning instructions for the harness adjuster, could there be something in it causing it not to lock?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC